Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jan 21, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
CarsonMac
Very Serious Dibber

Tradesman shoddy work - help!

Just posting on here in case anyone had experienced a similar situation - early December we got a tradesman in to do some work in a bedroom. When he was done he didn't have the trim for the door as he said wasn't in stock and he would come back and fit it. Also we noticed that there was some other minor issue he needed to sort. We had paid him in full by this point.
He also bought some supplies on our behalf ie we paid him and he got it for us and he used his discount. His ideas not ours. But he over purchased so ended up returning some of the supplies an getting a refund. It now appears that he is holding onto our refund, saying that said store (large hardware brand) hasn't refunded him yet so can't pass the refund onto us yet. I smell 💩 as find that hard to believe as it is more than 3 weeks now since he returned the items. We have also asked him numerous times when he is coming back to do the trim and other issues but either avoids our calls, texts or fobs us off saying he'll check the diary. Looks like he has no intention of sorting the issues and giving us his refund.

So I wondered if anyone knew who we can report him too or anything we can do about it all?
CarsonMac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

How much is the refund?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
CarsonMac
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
How much is the refund?
Around £80.
Yea I know its to that much but he shouldn't get away with keeping money that's not his!
We did try take the stuff back ourselves but the shop wouldn't refund us coz they said it needed to go back on the card used to pay for it

Edited at 06:49 PM.
CarsonMac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I wouldn’t be too stressed over the £80 for a another few weeks but he sounds a cowboy to be ignoring all your contacts. I would send him a recorded delivery letter being polite but saying what things need sorting.

I should also mention for anyone reading this to NEVER pay a tradesperson in full until they have 100% finished the job and you are happy with the work.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Is he on Trust a Trader/Check a Trader or any such other site? If so I would message him and ask when the work is going to be completed as you are wanting to complete your review of him and feel it would be better done after the work is fully completed. I had a bathroom fitter that got a bad review while he was fitting my bathroom (underserved in my opinion) but he was really stressing over it and bent over backwards to try and appease the reviewer
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I should also mention for anyone reading this to NEVER pay a tradesperson in full until they have 100% finished the job and you are happy with the work.
To be honest, a respectable tradesman wouldn’t ask for full payment until the job is done. Completely fair to ask for a deposit beforehand if materials are needed.
Floridarules is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
To be honest, a respectable tradesman wouldn’t ask for full payment until the job is done. Completely fair to ask for a deposit beforehand if materials are needed.
I’m not sure in this case if the OP was initially happy with the work and hence why he paid in full?
Old 19 Jan 21, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
CarsonMac
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Unfortunately not on check a trader or the trusted trader scheme. Only Facebook and Instagram!
Quality Inn Plaza , I drive (2009) / Los Angeles, CA (2010) /New york + Villa at Chatham park (2014/15) / Quality Inn on 192 (2015) / Laguna beach (2016) / Flamingo inn ,Daytona beach (2016/17) Houston , Atlanta + Coco key water resort, I drive (2017), Boston (2018), New York City (2018) Washington DC + Clarion Suites Maingate, (2018)Red Lion/ New orleans (Sept 2019) Cabbibean Resort/ Red lion (Jan 2020), Baymont Inn and Suites (Aug 2020)
Old 20 Jan 21, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

He may just be really busy at the moment and trying t do the new jobs.

I'm not making excuses but most trade were really busy in the run up to Christmas. We've waited months for some at the moment for mum's kitchen.

Speak to him, ask for a date when he can finish and then wait. Hopefully it will all be resolved in a few more weeks. If you take Christmas out it's not been that long. Try not to worry and just try and agree a date
Blue nose is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List