Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Mar 20, 01:42 AM  
Link to this Post
PortoBoy
Trying for More Ears

How important is "having a good plan?"

Hi all,

The advice and support here over the last year has been invaluable, so thank you all so much, really looking forward to our first family trip to Orlando now less than 30 days away!

My question is about the necessity of having a "good plan." We're onsite for 13 nights and so have pretty much everything covered with FPs, including doubling up on some top rides, plus some PPO breakfasts etc. to help with rope drop. Other than that, how much of a "plan" do we need? My intention currently is to use EMH where we have it, then all our FPs are booked for 9/10/11, and then essentially just use MDE to see if additional FPs are available close by, or else jump in the nearest sub-30 min queue. Is this enough of a "plan" for us to cover a reasonable amount? Or would signing up to a touring plans-style site be 15 quid well spent? With all "must do's" covered with FPs, and DD10 & DD4 very happy to sit through shows, my gut feeling is we'll be in good shape to cover almost everything, without having our holiday micro-managed and planned down to the last minute.

Any and all feedback would be very welcome!
PortoBoy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 02:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

A plan is just that - a plan. It can change and adapt as you need. We recently returned from our first trip and had a plan like yours, but we adapted and changed as we went along. It’s important to be able to go with the flow a bit too! Remember to enjoy it. Listen to everyone’s needs - stop when someone needs to recharge, modify a fastpass if you’re all just too tired, or if you just want to enjoy this show instead of do that ride. It sounds like you’re in good shape - now go and have an amazing holiday and enjoy what you do, don’t dwell on what you miss!
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 05:19 AM  
Link to this Post
oakleydokey
Looking for my Ears

Never had any Plans, prior to actually going!

Always preferred to just go with OUR flow... It is supposed to be a holiday after all, and is just that for us, and certainly not a military operation.

We know all too many who on return are totally exhausted and broke! And, could then do with another holiday!
oakleydokey is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 05:56 AM  
Link to this Post

I enjoy making my plans, but I don’t stick to it rigidly. The majority of my ADRs are changed or tweaked and have also been known to change or cancel fast passes at the last minute as we fancy doing something else. I definitely would not pat £25 for somebody to plan for me, I don’t want a military exercise.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 06:37 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

That sounds like my level of plan. I like to know which park we are going too and the first three FPs.

We then get extra fastpasses on the day so it’s hard to plan for what will be available.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
mseagle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by PortoBoy View Post
Hi all,

The advice and support here over the last year has been invaluable, so thank you all so much, really looking forward to our first family trip to Orlando now less than 30 days away!

My question is about the necessity of having a "good plan." We're onsite for 13 nights and so have pretty much everything covered with FPs, including doubling up on some top rides, plus some PPO breakfasts etc. to help with rope drop. Other than that, how much of a "plan" do we need? My intention currently is to use EMH where we have it, then all our FPs are booked for 9/10/11, and then essentially just use MDE to see if additional FPs are available close by, or else jump in the nearest sub-30 min queue. Is this enough of a "plan" for us to cover a reasonable amount? Or would signing up to a touring plans-style site be 15 quid well spent? With all "must do's" covered with FPs, and DD10 & DD4 very happy to sit through shows, my gut feeling is we'll be in good shape to cover almost everything, without having our holiday micro-managed and planned down to the last minute.

Any and all feedback would be very welcome!
It’s a plan, a guide and so try not to be tied down to it. Your planning will give you a clearer view on things you want to do and will have spread it nicely across your holiday days.
But in practice you may find you want to spend more time doing some things and less time doing others, or find other things not even in the plan. You may also want more rest time than you have planned for.

Just remember you are on a holiday and not a military exercise. The plan will help you get the most out of your time there, no more or less.
Enjoy - Have a fantastic time - you will all love it !

Beautiful 4 Bedroom Villa with private pool and spa on the popular High Grove Community

Lovely view over a conservation area

Villa website : www.floridavillausa.com
mseagle is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

Your plan seems reasonable as it is. Like has been mentioned, you don't want it to be like a military exercise, it is a holiday after all... I remember our first Florida holiday, no planning whatsoever and we tried to do everything Disney/Universal in 2 weeks... BIG mistake! Anyway, from then on we created a basic plan simply around where we were eating. We never do FP's and just go with the flow around each park, we find this more relaxing.
Less than 4 weeks to go... exciting. Hope you have a fantastic time.
Old 1 Mar 20, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
pvbmb01
Imagineer

pvbmb01's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I think like others have said, a plan is a plan, something which can be changed ... I like to have a plan, purely because of the control freak in me, I like to have an idea of what parks are quiet/busy every day and what have you. It's not something I have to religiously stick to ... but I always feel better having something there in place to guide me on my adventures. Personal preference really.

Hope you have a fabulous holiday xx
Old 1 Mar 20, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

I’m a planner. But the level of your plan is perfect. Otherwise, it becomes difficult if the unexpected hits - inclement weather, ride malfunctions, ride you really want to go on but the queue is too long - it upsets the more detailed level of plans, then you can end up stressed the plan has gone wrong
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Gemini157
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Your plan is great.

My first trip to Florida, was myself, OH and 7 year old daughter, in 1995.
I bought an Orlando Guide book, and that was it for planning!
Less parks, no Fastpasses, so it all worked fine.

On every subsequent trip, with parties of various sizes, I have planned. Prebooked FPs has made this even more essential.
As other posters wisely say though, you do have to go with the flow too. Last time, just OH and I ,we ended up taking a couple of unscheduled rest days, as I had overplanned us. We felt better for them and enjoyed the parks more afterwards.

Happy holidays
Gemini157 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List