Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jan 21, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
tmwalsh
Apprentice Imagineer

Anyone buying a house now - how long is it taking?

Hi, I'm currently in the process of moving so selling/buying and am told I'm in a fairly long chain.

My buyers solicitor and estate agent are in a round about way asking me if I would break the chain because I assume the buyer doesn't want to pay stamp duty (who does).

I'm resigned to paying it personally but get the feeling my buyer isn't. Maybe they can't afford it I'm not sure. Anyhow, my question is, if you're buying now how long are your searches taking. My authority says 23 working days at the moment (for selling), not sure about buying as its a different LA.

Anyhow, how long is everyone taking to get moved at the mo.
tmwalsh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

We have just agreed a sale and are hopeful to complete by the March SD deadline.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I accepted an offer on mine 23rd October. Hoping to exchange contracts next week and there's no chain
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
tmwalsh
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
I accepted an offer on mine 23rd October. Hoping to exchange contracts next week and there's no chain
So over three months. I'm a little bit miffed with my estate agent as he kind of meandered around asking me to go into rented.

As I said, I'm resigned to paying stamp duty unless that deadline is extended.
tmwalsh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

August - January it’s taken for my parents. That’s from them putting their house up to moving day. They move next week. There’s only 3 in the chain, renters buying their house, no chain in the house my parents are buying.

This absolutely would have fallen through if they had to pay stamp duty - for all 3.

My best friend is the same, same time scale as my mum but not yet got an exchange or moving date - they will pull out if they can’t complete before the stamp duty has to be paid.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪

Edited at 05:31 PM.
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
tmwalsh
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
August - January it’s taken for my parents. That’s from them putting their house up to moving day. They move next week. There’s only 3 in the chain, renters buying their house, no chain in the house my parents are buying.

This absolutely would have fallen through if they had to pay stamp duty - for all 3.

My best friend is the same, same time scale as my mum but not yet got an exchange or moving date - they will pull out if they can’t complete before the stamp duty has to be paid.
I think that will happen quite a lot if the stamp duty holiday is not extended or tapered somehow.
Old 19 Jan 21, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
With or without a chain getting to completion in time would be very challenging given likely lead in time for searches and chances of people wanting no gap between exchange and completion. Plus add in mortgage offers etc.

In a chain these issues are magnified so any chance goes down exponentially every link you add

For you the issue is the cost of paying stamp duty plus rent and finding a short term rent. Then compare this to the chance of reselling post stamp duty changes and the hit you may take on price.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tmwalsh View Post
I think that will happen quite a lot if the stamp duty holiday is not extended or tapered somehow.
Definitely! It’s a massive amount on some properties!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkertangled
Imagineer

We are buying a new build and have been told it’s going take around a month longer than we were told when we exchanged.
Exchanging took us 6 weeks which is longer than we were told when we reserved and we didn’t have any specific hold ups it was just the wait for searches and mortgage underwriting
Tinkertangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tmwalsh View Post
So over three months. I'm a little bit miffed with my estate agent as he kind of meandered around asking me to go into rented.

As I said, I'm resigned to paying stamp duty unless that deadline is extended.
We were asked if we would move out as we were waiting for our house to be completed. Only us and another lady in chain. We said no as the hassle and cost of moving twice and renting wouldn't be worth it.

Are the buyers going to compensate \ increase their offer if you have all the hassle and costs of going into rented?
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List