Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Dec 16, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyExplorer
Imagineer

Google Chromecast?

I was wondering what peoples opinions were on Google Chromecast, i it worth it even though I have Sky?
Old 29 Dec 16, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We use it a lot - the amount of times we series link stuff and one or two episodes are missing is unreal so we find them online and cast them!

It can be a bit glitchy at times and if that happens we resort to using my laptop and plugging in an HDMI cable direct to the TV and it's perfect!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 16, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i got oone when they first came out in the US, and have never really been overly impressed with it. it had so much potential, but never really became properly useful.

it was replaced by an amazon stick in the bedroom a couple of years ago, and has been lying in a drawer ever since.

the chromecast is ok as long as you *just* want to use the apps that are available. whereas the firestick is only marginally more money and has loads more useful apps (the biggest for me being kodi - all my media is stored on a NAS box)

my point? chromecast is ok, but firetv is way better... spend that little bit extra, you wont regret it!
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 16, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

As above for me,
Never really got a good enough wifi signal in my room for it to work realiably, worked for Netflix and YouTube but only when it could find the wifi. The result is it was very under used cause I just couldn't be bothered, now it's sat in the back of the tv downstairs so my brother can cast his laptop and stuff to it. I got an Apple TV in the end to replace it (that works fabulously)
If you've got a smart tv a chrome cast is obsolete really. If your somewhere with a good wifi signal, and just want it for Netflix it's useful.
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 16, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Same for me too. Obviously depends what you want to use it for. Chromecast was given to us as a present, we then got Firestick as part of signing up to Amazon Prime. Either works fine for us as a way to stream a film rather than pay a monthly subscription but Firestick just generally seems easier to use/more slick. The only stuff we used to cast on Chrome is available on Firestick anyway and hence we've ditched Chromecast.

We also take all the content s part of Prime although I'm wondering whether to keep this as don't use it much. We could still pay for the odd film as and when we want to watch one
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 16, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 16
Use them loads, have three!
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 16, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Good if you have decent WiFi - useless otherwise.
Old 30 Dec 16, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We have 3!
One gets too hot and won't work. One likes to be difficult to find on-screen. We don't use them anymore.
I have Kodi on all our devices and plug my laptop into the tv.

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List