Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Closed Thread

Old 19 Sep 06, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

Photo Clinic!

Hello Photo Experts! Im starting a cheeky thread where we can upload some shots and get some help with what we did wrong or right! I took my newly purchased Canon Ixus 800 to DLP last week and here are some shots.

I particularly wanted this camera for night and indoor shots and it did work quite well - I took the advice on the night photo thread and turned the flash off for most of the indoor / night photos.

This one was taken braced on DH's shoulder! There is a little blur (especially on the "Disney" word) but Im quite pleased. There is a bit of "noise" on a close zoom as it was on a high ISO setting. Is there a way to reduce that? Should I have gone for a lower ISO and longer shutter speed?

This one was taken with the flash in complete and utter darkness! It was the day of one of the strikes and the dragon under the castle was suffering from "problem technicale" and was left in total blackness! I just pointed and shot till I got him centre frame! I didnt think this was bad considering!

OK, this is your "typical" Disney picture of the castle. Ive got tons of em - how can I make them more interesting? Ive crouched down for this shot but its still a bit dull. Would love some ways to get a new twist on photographing it as its just so photogenic!

This one was taken in a door way with no flash. There is still some glare though from the sun behind and it is over exposed in parts. Can I get round this?

Here is a problem I encounter a lot. It was overcast and the photo has come out a bit "washed out". I was unsure what settings to use - this is the best of about 4 attempts but the colours seem a bit lost. Any tips for shooting in this light?

Thanks in advance!

Allie
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 06, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 16
Hi Allie!

Fantastic pictures. I wouldn't have made any comments if you hadn't specifically asked!

Firstly, Rock'n'Roller Coaster

I went through the "Levels" procedure mentioned in the Nightime Article to bring out the colour of the ride, making the sky a little too white in the process but that's not what the viewer is looking at so it's probably ok.

In doing this, it tells one that grim days need a different white balance in the picture.

Try setting the camera to P mode, and selecting the overcast white balance setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rusty_rnr.gif
Views:	48
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	7785  

Edited at 02:09 PM.
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 06, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
(I've just realised I saved the pic above in .GIF! Doh!)

Before:

After:

Edited at 02:13 PM.
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 06, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
The easy answer to window reflections is to turn the sun off. (Or shoot at night whichever is easier )

If you can't avoid the reflection by shuffling your feet about to get a different angle, you can use people, bags, guide maps or anything else that comes to hand to block the light source.

I spent about 10 minutes in photoshop to remove the reflection here, using the "Clone tool" to move unreflected surfaces over the area. This would have been easier to do on the larger source photo, so excuse the roughness.

Then I used the paint tool to put back some of the brown ball-things and Blinkies head.

You can probably see artifacts of my work, but bare in mind you are looking closely at an area that you know has been edited. If you didn't know, you'd see less or nothing at all =)

Edited at 05:42 PM.
Old 19 Sep 06, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
There is something about shooting the castle from this side that results in it being on an angle.

The funny thing was that even though I realised I did this in 2004, it still happened in 2005!

So all I have done to your shot is rotate it two degrees, and add a small touch of a sharpness filter (Unsharp Mask in Photoshop, which despite it's name actually sharpens )

As for your question, one could shoot it with a character in the foreground, or one of the main street vehicles.

When the castle is decorated, the christmas tree is next to it or if it snows are also good variations on the theme.

I also had one with a flock of birds just taking off, but can't find it right now.

I have attached one of mine below which had these thoughts in mind.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dlp05_xmas_balls.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	7786  

Edited at 02:16 PM.
Old 19 Sep 06, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post

that was a really interesting thread...I cant wait to try and take some piccies without the flash, thats been my main problem and didnt even know it.
I loved all the pictures..thanks for sharing
Elaine
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 06, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by rusty30
This one was taken braced on DH's shoulder! There is a little blur (especially on the "Disney" word) but Im quite pleased. There is a bit of "noise" on a close zoom as it was on a high ISO setting. Is there a way to reduce that? Should I have gone for a lower ISO and longer shutter speed?

I don't think this one is blurred to be honest, you get it on the whole picture not just bits usually if that happens

I think it's a tad over-exposed, but it's near impossible to quickly get it perfect in these situations. If you look at the Wishes photo at the top of my Night article, the main street lights are showing a similar effect.

There are programs to reduce ISO noise out there, see the article for some links. I use "Neat Image" from neatimage/ which isn't very expensive for the home user, but not free.

Did you look about for trash cans etc to put the camera on and use a lower ISO setting?

I used the floor and my mums purse for my attached one!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aj_village.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	7787  
Old 19 Sep 06, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

Andy thats brilliant thank you! I just LOVE your shot of the castle in the snow - fantastic!

I loved what you did to the alien picture too - I will have a bash myself later.

I may invest in a little tripod for Florida in Dec as there seemed to be a real lack of "props" to get those night shots LOL! Plus it will be getting dark quite early, so I will be doing a lot of nighttime shooting it could be worth it! We will have the buggy so it can store easily underneath.

What great help you have been - thanks so much!
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 06, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
glorfy
Serious Dibber

To remove noise, I use noiseware, which is free in its community edition - link

Some nice pictures!
Old 19 Sep 06, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Glad you liked them Allie =)

Another thought about window pictures...

If you have a wide angle lens, or just want a smaller area of the window, actually press the lens up against the glass.

I understand you can get rubber rings to screw onto lenses for this purpose.

I used this idea a lot in Seaworld et al...

Closed Thread