Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Closed Thread

Old 12 Oct 06, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Windows Editing Software Help PLEASE

I have a problem with getting my film onto the pc.
It is a digital camcorder I have connected and the pc has found it ok.
In fact when I use window media player to capture it, it works as long as I do it “manual” option

When I try doing the automatic capture it works in as much as it gets the data onto my hard drive and I can play it however it wont let me open it using Media editor as it says “ the file has not been indexed” ( the program crashes)

So for now I have used the manual option which is a pain. The file that I have captured this way has let me try to edit it. This time however this is where I fall flat on my face L
The file is put in the time bar as one big chunk how do I cut and paste the bits together the way I want?

Yes I tried reading the help files and gave up ;/

If anyone can help it would be appreciated perhaps even talk me through it on msn or skype

Many thanks

A frustrated film director

aka Gav
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 06, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
dreadnort
Excited about Disney

dreadnort's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
If your using Windows XP then try using Windows Movie Maker, this is built into windows and is better at capturing video.

It is also a good basic video editor
Dec 2018 DVC Old Key West
Oct 2019 DVC Old Key West
dreadnort is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 06, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Sorry my mistake it is Windows Movie Maker could not think of the correct name when I doing the above post
Old 12 Oct 06, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
jheaton
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
using the little preview window at rh side find the point where you want to cut film and look for icon which looks like 2 film cells side by side with a line between.this splits your film at that frame.
cut your film up this way and delete the chunks you dont want
then at top of toolbar select "tools" then "video transitions" choose a way of linking the clips such as "fade" or "dissolve" and drag it between each cut clip.this is easier to do in "storyboard mode" than in "timeline"
remember to save as you go along as Movie Maker does hang occasionally but once you get into it's easy to use

good luck
janet
1995 OKW/1997 Villa/ Gulf /2000 Villa/Rotunda /2002 Villa/Rotunda/2004 Southern Dunes/ AMI/2006 West Stonebridge/2007 Bradenton/2009 Sandy Ridge/2011Sandy Ridge/ AMI /2012SSR/2012Esprit/2013 SSR/2013 2wks AMI/2014 AMI/2015 OKW/2015 AMI/2016 AMI/ Bonita Springs/2017 2weeks Bellavida/2018 AMI/2019 Bonita Springs and Universal/2022 Gulf Coast Hurricane Ian/2023POFQ
jheaton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 06, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Andre
VIP Dibber

Try importing the DV footage using a stand-alone program. I use WinDV, which is simple & tiny, but works every time. It can be found at windv.mourek.cz/

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 -•- Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 -•- Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13, Aug 14, Aug 15, Jul/Aug 16, Aug 17, Aug 18, Aug 19... and coming next, Jul/Aug 20
Disneyland Paris: Many times since 1992, lost count! -•- Disneyland California: Aug 2011 (for D23 Expo event), Aug 2014
Andre is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 06, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Cheers

Thanks Andrew give you a guess what i will be doing later
Old 13 Oct 06, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 16
Originally Posted by andrewilley
Try importing the DV footage using a stand-alone program. I use WinDV, which is simple & tiny, but works every time. It can be found at windv.mourek.cz/

Andre

Reading the blub on that there page Andre, I see it says "No dropped frames."

I thought "real" dropped frames were problems with the source media, not just any bottlenecks in the transfer.

For example, I seem to have more dropped frames on Sony than TDK in my world.

Any thoughts?
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 06, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Gaz
Imagineer

Gaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
i am having a simular knightmare. i have all my holiday video on an external hard drive and i can watch it on media player but when i try to import it to movie maker it wont let me. i dont want to keep changing its format incase i lose quality and i need to edit it can someone please help me
Gaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 06, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Andre
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by AndyJ72
Reading the blub on that there page Andre, I see it says "No dropped frames."

I thought "real" dropped frames were problems with the source media, not just any bottlenecks in the transfer
With the speed of modern PCs you shouldn't really get dropped frames any more, but if your system was not up to spec you could get the situation where the firewire data is streaming in faster than your system can write it to disc. And if that happens, the software has no choice but to skip frames to allow it to catch up.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 -•- Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 -•- Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13, Aug 14, Aug 15, Jul/Aug 16, Aug 17, Aug 18, Aug 19... and coming next, Jul/Aug 20
Disneyland Paris: Many times since 1992, lost count! -•- Disneyland California: Aug 2011 (for D23 Expo event), Aug 2014
Andre is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 06, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Andre
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Gaz
i am having a simular knightmare. i have all my holiday video on an external hard drive and i can watch it on media player but when i try to import it to movie maker it wont let me. i dont want to keep changing its format incase i lose quality and i need to edit it can someone please help me
Try downloading something like VirtualDubMod and get it to do basic a "Save As..." with the 'Exact Stream Copy' mode selected. That will write out a new file with new header data, etc - but the AVI bitstream itself will stay intact. Might clean the file up enough to load into another program. Adobe Premiere can do the same thing if you Export to the exact same format as the input media (I think) but you have to pay for it!

Andre

Closed Thread