Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Closed Thread

Old 18 Oct 06, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Advice please, should I buy this Nikon D100

Could the experienced snappers on here please give me an opinion.
We have been out having a family photo portrait done this evening and by chance I mentioned to the photographer that I was thinking of buying a proper camera.
Earlier this year he had purchased the latest Professional Nikon to replace his Nikon D100. He is offereing to sell me his D100 body complete with 28-105 zoom lens, two heavy duty rechargable battery packs, flash unit and a 1GB Compact Flash card. Im told its in perfect working order and externally looks fine.

Its a model im not familar with so does it sound like a good buy at £400.

Thanks folks.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 06, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Have you looked on ebay? The completed listings section is handy if you want to see how much stuff goes for
Old 18 Oct 06, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Andre
VIP Dibber

It may be a few years old (perhaps 3 or 4) but it's a decent camera from a very good manufacturer. If it works well, and especially with those accessories thrown in, I'd say definitely go for it. You'd probably pay more than that for just a basic camera and lens setup second-hand on eBay or Amazon.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 -•- Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 -•- Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13, Aug 14, Aug 15, Jul/Aug 16, Aug 17, Aug 18, Aug 19... and coming next, Jul/Aug 20
Disneyland Paris: Many times since 1992, lost count! -•- Disneyland California: Aug 2011 (for D23 Expo event), Aug 2014
Andre is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 06, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi Andre, Im told its approx 2 1/2 years old but has been unused for the last eight months due to his new camera. Its mostly been used for wedding photography (and cute baby shots probably!) I cant remember if the Lens was a Nikon or other make, but the chap did spend a lot of time explaining the importance of a top quality lens so I assume its a good un!
Old 18 Oct 06, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Andre
VIP Dibber

As I said, sounds good to me. I'd go for it!

I might have expected a professional wedding photographer to have used something a bit higher spec, so I suspect this might have been his backup camera or used for getting canid snaps, so it may have seen fairly light use anyway.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 -•- Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 -•- Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13, Aug 14, Aug 15, Jul/Aug 16, Aug 17, Aug 18, Aug 19... and coming next, Jul/Aug 20
Disneyland Paris: Many times since 1992, lost count! -•- Disneyland California: Aug 2011 (for D23 Expo event), Aug 2014
Andre is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 06, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks again Andre, i will definitely have to lie awake tonight now thinking about it! The guy is a life long photography enthusiast who started up professionally about three years ago, his replacement Nikon has cost him£5000

I have done a bit of internet trawling and read a few reviews from when this model was launched, they all read very positively, the only criticisms are for minor things that are beyond my current level of experience anyway.

Steve
Old 19 Oct 06, 01:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

It came out July 2002 so chances are it is nearer to 4 years old than 2, if a week is a long time in politics - a couple of years is a very long time in digital slr evolution.
The likelihood is that the shutter has been used heavily so an expensive service could be required and apart from that you will have no warranty. I doubt it has seen little use - it could have been a workhorse at hundreds of weddings ?
The price isn't so cheap - you would be better off buying a newer model from Amazon, Jessops or even Argos. Look at Nikon D50, Canon 350D/400D or Sony Alpha.
Sorry but wouldn't bother.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 06, 02:22 AM  
Link to this Post
glorfy
Serious Dibber

Same here - look to get a new one with a warranty at that price tbh.
Old 19 Oct 06, 05:28 AM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 16
Does it have a shutter snap count? What is it rated to?

I understood the Canon 10d to be around 50k snaps worth or so, but estimates seem to vary wildly, for example...

What are the goodies with it worth?

A few more things to consider in the weighing up process.
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 06, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Andre
VIP Dibber

It's the goodies with it that make it worthwhile at that price I'd have said.

Andre

Closed Thread