Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 24 Nov 20, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Nanny
Imagineer

AMI shopping eating and getting to

HI all

Looking at Anna Maria Island and have a couple of questions please:

Is it nearer Tampa airport so have you/would you fly in there and go straight to AMI?

If going down from Orlando do you drive?

Are the restaurants bars etc in walking distance around island?

Do you Uber/Lyft around it?

What or where is the nearest big supermarket if planning on doing a large shop for a few weeks?

Any other advice or trip reports for here?
Thank you
Disney Nanny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I can only answer a few of your queries as although we've been half a dozen times we've never stayed overnight.

Holmes Beach is the most northern road bridge on to the island. It's about 50 miles from TPA and 130 from MCO. Both routes include a lot of interstate though. It takes us around 2 hours from the Davenport area.

The island is around 9 mile long so depends where you want to walk to. Restaurants are spread around a bit.

Never sat in a Uber in my life as we always hire a car but a free trolley bus operates on most of the island north to south.

There's a Publix on AMI which is perfectly good for food type shopping.

Mick
Old 24 Nov 20, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
PS

If you put AMI or Anna Maria in the search engine for "Beyond the parks" you may get a hundred or more hits on staying and eating there.

To start off https://DIBB.in/14638947

Edited at 02:59 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Nanny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I can only answer a few of your queries as although we've been half a dozen times we've never stayed overnight.

Holmes Beach is the most northern road bridge on to the island. It's about 50 miles from TPA and 130 from MCO. Both routes include a lot of interstate though. It takes us around 2 hours from the Davenport area.

The island is around 9 mile long so depends where you want to walk to. Restaurants are spread around a bit.

Never sat in a Uber in my life as we always hire a car but a free trolley bus operates on most of the island north to south.

There's a Publix on AMI which is perfectly good for food type shopping.

Mick
Thanks Mick
The trolley bus looks amazing, just going to look it all up
Disney Nanny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
AMI has a free trolley that takes you up and down the island, it runs approx every 20 mins so no real need to drive. Lots of restaurants and eating places that are walking distance in most areas. We drive from Orlando but Tampa would be ok too. Publix is on the island just over the main bridge and there are small food shops around, it is cheaper to buy non perishable food before the island though.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We stayed in Bradenton and got a lovely villa drove to Anna Maria and surrounding areas. We drove up from Orlando and flew out of Tampa, beautiful area
Old 26 Nov 20, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Check out Helen’s (scottishnellie) last couple of trip reports , they are full of Anne Marie trip days .
They will help answer some of your questions hopefully
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Yes TPA is the better airport if you are going straight there. It save something like 1- 1.5 hours. Plus you will probably save more time as on avg you will get out of TPA quicker post flight.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Its no secret that AMI is my favourite place on Earth, you won't regret going!

It's much closer to Tampa airport but we've also driven from Orlando and it's a very easy drive so I'd fly into whatever airport was cheapest. If going from Orlando I think you'd need to drive, I'm not aware of any transfer company's. However there are taxi transfers from TPA which do a return trip for about $100 I believe.
You don't need a car once on the island as there is a free trolley service that runs the length of the island although we've always had a car.

There are 3 sections of the island - Bradenton Beach, Holmes Beach and Anna Maria. Whatever area you stay in you'll be in walking distance of at least one restaurant.
My favourite is the top end Anna Maria. There are plenty of restaurants, cafes and shops to wander around Pine Avenue. A close second is around Bridge Street down the bottom end.

There is a Publix in Holmes Beach which stocks all the essentials. There is a huge Walmart not far off the island if you wanted something bigger but we didn't need it.

I've done 2 trip reports from our time there in 2017 and 2018.

We will be back in 2022 to hopefully get married, we cannot wait!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 20, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Susan Coleman
Imagineer

Susan Coleman's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Love AMI...go every year for a side trip from the villa in Kissimmee
Beaches are a dream...dolphins and pelicans...we always book beach view condo...so get fabulous sunset from the west facing balcony every night..bliss
Great range of eateries...not chain...trolley will take you most of the length of the island
Publix is there right on the island...and also Walmart , Winn Dxie a short distance away on the mainland
Relax with drinks on the south facing pool terrace...
All day sun..fabulous lake view...beautiful sunsets...
Disney magic in professionally themed Mickey's room!

http://www.disneyvillaaurora.com
New pool mosaics and lights!
Susan Coleman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List