Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Apr 21, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I think the Ka’anpalli airport (JHM? ) has very few flights compared to OGG and the carrier has been wobbling on the verge of bankruptcy - if not gone in - a number of times - be aware and maybe don’t book until closer the time. We’ve only paid a max of $75 pp plus bags ever for inter island travel
Old 28 Apr 21, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I think the Ka’anpalli airport (JHM? ) has very few flights compared to OGG and the carrier has been wobbling on the verge of bankruptcy - if not gone in - a number of times - be aware and maybe don’t book until closer the time. We’ve only paid a max of $75 pp plus bags ever for inter island travel
Do SW include the bags on inter island hops? Ours was £86 each with our cases on Hawaiian (in August).
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
For the internal flight you have Hawaiian and now also Southwest. About £90. You'll want to fly out of main airport Kahului unlesss you are staying over in the NE/Kaanapali of the island because the smaller airport Kapalua Airport on that side of the island is one road in/out and if there's a traffic jam/crash etc you are stuck.
Southwest is a good Option!

On the road in and out it does depend where the crash is - you could drive around it by avoiding the Mokelele highway altogether but at some point the road serves Wailea / Kihei as well as Ka’anpali in which case you’re up the creek either way !
Old 28 Apr 21, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Do SW include the bags on inter island hops? Ours was £86 each with our cases on Hawaiian (in August).
No idea, sadly SW hasn’t started on our last visit in Nov 18

£86 sounds about right or a tiny bit high for flight plus bag. IIRC it was $25 for the bag on top of the flight?
Old 28 Apr 21, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

No idea, sadly SW hasn’t started on our last visit in Nov 18

£86 sounds about right or a tiny bit high for flight plus bag. IIRC it was $25 for the bag on top of the flight?
Yes and we had 3 cases which I cursed dragging around but actually I'm glad of now as that was 2019 when we stocked up on clothes at the outlets in SF and they've come in very handy the past year.

And to add for OP we were Alaska too for the SFO-Hawaii leg and they are excellent. Couldn't fault them although we didn't have seat back tv. You could rent a tablet loaded with movies or bring your own. Alaska were very cheap with Avios 25K each return so we booked BA LHR-SFO-LHR and then used Avios for the Hawaii flights although we did have a layover.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Yes and we had 3 cases which I cursed dragging around but actually I'm glad of now as that was 2019 when we stocked up on clothes at the outlets in SF and they've come in very handy the past year.

And to add for OP we were Alaska too for the SFO-Hawaii leg and they are excellent. Couldn't fault them although we didn't have seat back tv. You could rent a tablet loaded with movies or bring your own. Alaska were very cheap with Avios 25K each return so we booked BA LHR-SFO-LHR and then used Avios for the Hawaii flights although we did have a layover.
I hear you!

I literally cannot tell you that we deliberately chose to not buy an extra case and fill it with lovely USA stuff mid Feb 2020 😭 when we left NOLA. We had NO IDEA what the next XX months would bring (despite some news starting to filter through at that point and some changes to things like the buffet and refillable drinks on the cruise we’d been on. I look back now and wonder how we didn’t see it but we really didn’t.
Old 28 Apr 21, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Good to hear a review of Alaska! Not flown with them before but they’re looking like a good idea for this trip. Excited to get something booked, and itching to book accommodation too!
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 21, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by orlandoamber View Post
Good to hear a review of Alaska! Not flown with them before but they’re looking like a good idea for this trip. Excited to get something booked, and itching to book accommodation too!
Where did you decide? Accommodation I mean
Old 14 May 21, 12:44 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Where did you decide? Accommodation I mean
Sorry Karen, I have only just seen your reply!

We are thinking 7 nights in Maui, potentially a nice beachfront condo around the Kaanapili area, then 4 nights Waikiki (I like the look of Royal Hawaiian, Hilton Hawaiian Village and Moana Surfrider) followed by 4 nights Aulani.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 21, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by orlandoamber View Post
Sorry Karen, I have only just seen your reply!

We are thinking 7 nights in Maui, potentially a nice beachfront condo around the Kaanapili area, then 4 nights Waikiki (I like the look of Royal Hawaiian, Hilton Hawaiian Village and Moana Surfrider) followed by 4 nights Aulani.
Royal Hawaiian is so so lovely. I would love to stay there!

Moana Surfrider is also lovely.

I am not so keen on the HHV. I have not stayed there admittedly but the location is not so good and it’s so very big and feels a bit ‘corporate’ to me compared to many other Waikiki hotels (which tend to be small due to the lack of available space there).

There are some other really nice options around