Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 May 21, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
kerrie1781
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Pre paid dollar cards...

Hi all,
Having a break from Florida next year and doing California instead, I’ve seen mention of pre paid cards but we have always just taken cash.
Is Sterling or Fairfax the best? Or is there another contender?
Are they covered at all? Covid has made me think about things that but more, if the company went bust or similar?
Also, what if we lose the card? How do we then access our money? Can you transfer it from that account to a normal bank account?
Just trying to cover all eventualities!
Thanks x
kerrie1781 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

Starling account is protected by FSCS
Revolut and FairFX are not protected by FSCS as far as I can see.

I have a Starling card and have no issues with it. It might be possible to get two cards (joint account?) and then if you lose one card, block it and use the second.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

After years of FairFx and then Revolut I’ve reviewed options recently, including looking on Money Saving Expert.

I signed up to Starling and kept Revolut. Both are currently recommended on MSE.

Starling looks really good and no fees imposed on cash withdrawals. You can’t pre purchase currency at favourable rates.

Revolut is effective and you can pre purchase the currency.
Old 3 May 21, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
youre-nicked
VIP Dibber

Ive had a fairfx for about 10 years now and had no issues with them, very easy to top up from your phone whilst abroad or by my dad when when Ive spent too much
Old 3 May 21, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Mandij39
Apprentice Imagineer

I've got the Fairfx anywhere card, so can use it for Dollars and euros depending on where I'm travelling to. Had no issues with Fairfx, easy to top up and keep track of your spending/balance through their online app. I just kept topping it up when the rate was good.
Mandij39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaNuts93
Imagineer

I have FAIRFX and Post Office travel money card - used in US, Canada and Gran Canaria with no issues.

SEE OUR VILLA AT:www.ospreyhouseorlando.com. Luxury five bed/four bath villa with extra large (40 ft) pool overlooking conservation area. Also includes games room.

License number: DWE 4514584
FloridaNuts93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
curlysue2
Apprentice Imagineer

Always used Fairfax and never had any issues with them using them for our next holiday.
Everyone has there favourite.
curlysue2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
lossieglen
Very Serious Dibber

Had Fairfx for years and used it without issue.

I got my kids cards as well and I can monitor all their spends as well as topping the cards up (on a regular basis, twin girls and outlets are not a good combination)
lossieglen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List