Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 16 Aug 20, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Aurora2018
Excited about Disney

Old Key West ir Saratoga Springs Resort?

Hello! We are still hopeful for our August 2021 holiday!
We have stayed in AoA before but this time it will be 3 adults and 1 child (aged 2 and a half). At the moment we are booked at AoA but are looking somewhere that can offer more space and not too expensive. Considering either OKW or SSR. We like the look of OKW but prefer the look of newly renovated studios at SSR. Any advice? I think all the pools at SSR may be better but also worry these resorts at too far.
Any advice would be welcome!
We will book with Disney but may consider renting Dvc points closer to the time if there’s availability.
Many thanks!
Aurora2018 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

We loved the space of the 1 bed at OKW, Olivia's is fantastic for an evening meal, you have the boat to DS but we also stayed at SSR (congress park area) and it was an easy walk to DS.

I preferred OKW but would stay at SSR as we can walk to DS.
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

It’s an age old question and you’ll get a 50/50 split in answers. Personally I’d be very happy with either resort.

Up until this year I’d have gone with OKW because of its newly renovated rooms and the rooms at SSR were really needing doing. However, the newly refurbed rooms are about the best on property aside from Riviera, and so I think SSR now has the advantage- of you get one of the new rooms. They are still working on the preferred category, I’d hope that will be finished soon. So until the end of next year I’d guess, unless you pick preferred there’s no guarantee of a refurbed room.

Advantages of OKW are undoubtedly room size, particularly in 1 beds up. It’s a very pretty resort and relaxing.

Advantages of SSR are numerous now the rooms are done. Better quick serve, better pools, and close walking distance to Disney Springs for generally the best collection of restaurants. Although you can walk from OKW it’s quite a long way and not open when it gets dark (great walk though down the canal).

I think both are very well located in a somewhat central position and no bus trip to the park takes too long. Longest bus trips I’ve had are Boardwalk to MK and HWS from Contemporary.
Old 16 Aug 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
lesmcguffog
VIP Dibber

lesmcguffog's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
My question would be where are you going to be eating?

If the time you aren’t eating in the parks, are catering in the room, I would go OKW for the size of the rooms.

If you will be eating a lot at Springs, Saratoga May be more convenient
California; San Fran, Napa, Monteray,
Georgia; Savanah
lesmcguffog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Aurora I'm a bit are you talking about a Studio or a 1 bed ? As a studio isn't going to be "a lot more" room than AoA, yes it will be bigger but it's still just 2 beds, more room when the second bed is a sofa bed/murphy but still Just" 2 beds IYKWIM. That being said the small kitchenette is great for in room breakfasts.
Direct Disney will only sell these 330 days out & a lot will depend on uptake from owners as only a small % (5) are available year round for cash bookings.Neither of the 2 are "cheap" & probably looking at £350/night.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Aurora2018 View Post
Hello! We are still hopeful for our August 2021 holiday!
We have stayed in AoA before but this time it will be 3 adults and 1 child (aged 2 and a half). At the moment we are booked at AoA but are looking somewhere that can offer more space and not too expensive. Considering either OKW or SSR. We like the look of OKW but prefer the look of newly renovated studios at SSR. Any advice? I think all the pools at SSR may be better but also worry these resorts at too far.
Any advice would be welcome!
We will book with Disney but may consider renting Dvc points closer to the time if there’s availability.
Many thanks!
The studios at OKW (376sqm) and SSR (355sqm) aren't much bigger than standard double rooms (314sqm) at other resorts. We have stayed at both and found SSR with one king bed and the sofa bed felt bigger than OKW, but most of that extra space is lost to a short hallway from the entrance to the dressing area. OKW however, you step straight into the bedroom area with no hall like the motel style rooms elsewhere. The "kitchenette" in both is a half size sink with a small cupboard and an under counter fridge which is not worth having really, and that where the extra space goes. For 3 adults and a child you would really want to consider a 1 bed villa which is just as expensive as two standard rooms elsewhere, sometimes more.

A standard room in the Grand Destino Tower at CSR is actually bigger than a studio at OKW.
Gateway Inn '97 Radisson Barcelo '99 Quality Inn Plaza '01 Quality Inn Int'l '03 La Quinta Inns&Suites '05 B.W. Movieland '07 Holiday Inn '08 & '09 Indian Creek '10 & '11 Vista Cay '12 Rosen Inn @ Pointe and Miami '13 Vista Cay '13,'14,'15,'16 CBR '16 Tampa, POR & SSR '17 OKW + Vista Cay '18 Windsor Hills '19 Vista Cay'22
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Aurora2018
Excited about Disney

Hello! Thank you for your comment. We were looking at the studio, 1 bedroom would be too expensive I think... I like the convenience of the kitchenette for the little one and for breakfasts. I like the fact that SSR has a murphy bed and we could have a sofa during the day? Somehow I felt the room may feel bigger than the standard little mermaid room but I may be wrong...
Aurora2018 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Aurora2018
Excited about Disney

Thank you! I thought the kitchenette may be useful to have? I will check out the rooms at destiny tower, I hadn't considered it as always thought of it as a convention location.
To be honest my little one would love AOA but feel one room may be too small for all of us!
Old 16 Aug 20, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Aurora2018
Excited about Disney

How far in advance can you book Gran Destino Tower? Just trying to look it up for my dates but only showing club level, wonder if it's too far out to book...
Old 16 Aug 20, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Aurora2018 View Post
Hello! Thank you for your comment. We were looking at the studio, 1 bedroom would be too expensive I think... I like the convenience of the kitchenette for the little one and for breakfasts. I like the fact that SSR has a murphy bed and we could have a sofa during the day? Somehow I felt the room may feel bigger than the standard little mermaid room but I may be wrong...
It is a tiny bit bigger but not much. You’re paying extra as well as for the room being bigger for the facilities, balcony, etc.

OKW studio is lovely but a bit of an odd layout.