Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Jan 21, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

LA and Disneyland in October

We are looking at going to LA for a big celebration ( I was going to WDW but fancied a change).

Totally clueless

Would like to do Disneyland, and six flags magic mountain parks.

Does anyone have any advice at all over what to go and see and where to stay.

Planning October 2022 for around 12 days

All help is welcomed
DLP 2018 - Star Tours - A solo story trip May 2018
ASM 2018 - It's Looking like a lot like a Christmas Wombat- Solo Trip TBC
wombat girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Disneyland and Six Flags are a couple of hours apart.

What sort of Disney visitor are you? You could comfortably do it is 2-3 days, but equally take 5 at a slow pace. It's not that big.

I would do a split stay spending some time in North LA, maybe in the Hollywood, Pasadena or coastal area. From there you could do Six Flags, Universal, Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice Beach areas.

You could then move south and stay in Anaheim for Disney.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Disneyland and Six Flags are a couple of hours apart.

What sort of Disney visitor are you? You could comfortably do it is 2-3 days, but equally take 5 at a slow pace. It's not that big.

I would do a split stay spending some time in North LA, maybe in the Hollywood, Pasadena or coastal area. From there you could do Six Flags, Universal, Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice Beach areas.

You could then move south and stay in Anaheim for Disney.
Yes I was thinking of Disneyland 2-3 days and moving on to see other things like Six Flags, Universal, Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice Beach.

The hotels look relatively high compared to other parts of the USA so we are looking for recommendations around these areas.
wombat girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by wombat girl View Post
Yes I was thinking of Disneyland 2-3 days and moving on to see other things like Six Flags, Universal, Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice Beach.

The hotels look relatively high compared to other parts of the USA so we are looking for recommendations around these areas.
I can give some suggestions near to DL - what’s your budget range? We tend to go for cheap but well located places as it’s a very walkable area for the parks and offsite dining.

I would hesitate to lock into specific hotels currently for a trip so far away - I suspect some may not reopen until tourism recovers and that still looks quite uncertain for DL for the time being at least.
Old 17 Jan 21, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I can give some suggestions near to DL - what’s your budget range? We tend to go for cheap but well located places as it’s a very walkable area for the parks and offsite dining.

I would hesitate to lock into specific hotels currently for a trip so far away - I suspect some may not reopen until tourism recovers and that still looks quite uncertain for DL for the time being at least.
We usually stay in value hotels in WDW but everything looks expensive around DL - yes we are just pricing it up (roughly) and not booking for a while until the current situation changes.
Old 17 Jan 21, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
figment05
Very Serious Dibber

prices around DL tend to be higher then off site in florida, but we have always found lots of choice in the mid range. Its way to far out to book just now and rates do not reflect the normal rates , due to the currrent situation.
figment05 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I think Disneyland hotels and nearby hotels can be broadly divided into a few categories

1) On-site hotels - GCH, DLH, PPH
These are Disney hotels, roughly the equivalent of Disney Deluxe (though PPH is ranked lower than the other two). They came with some (minimal) perks like early entry, though the GCH is fairly amazing for the fact that it is right at the entrance of DCA.

2) Off-site hotels - newer and fancier
There have been a lot of hotels built in the area over the last decade or so, that are new and look really nice. In particular I was looking at the Hyatt House and Springhill Suites a couple of years ago.

3) Off-site hotels - older and less fancy (though may have been refurbished)
These are a bit more like motels and may have been built decades ago. But some may have been refurbished more recently. An example is the Fairfield Inn.

It's important to note that there are a huge number of hotels within walking distance to Disneyland (as opposed to WDW)! And that some of the off-site hotels may actually be closer to the parks than the DLH or PPH.

Prices and room availability also vary (varied?) hugely depending on the time of the year and whether there were any large conferences ongoing at the Anaheim Convention Centre. With COVID though I don't think anyone really knows what the situation is going to be now...
Old 17 Jan 21, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by wombat girl View Post
We usually stay in value hotels in WDW but everything looks expensive around DL - yes we are just pricing it up (roughly) and not booking for a while until the current situation changes.
You’ve got a great summary there from sky already but I tend to find plenty of choice in the $60-$80 range (off season). I think the most I paid was $110 at the Hilton but I think I was trying to get an extra stay to bump my points up or something. Otherwise I’d have been at the Holiday Inn on Walnut or one of the Best Westerns.

I have stayed on-site at VGC and it was amazing. But very very spendy.
Old 4 Feb 21, 01:00 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

I did this in Feb...

Stayed at the Santa Monica Motel which is nice and cheap. Did LA in a day tour from there and used it as a base to visit Six Flags which was a bit 1 hour 30 min drive from memory. Worked well.

Then I drove down to Disneyland and stayed there for a three nights.

Had a great time.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 21, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi are you going to do anything else. Vegas, San Diego, San Fran
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List