Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 28 Jan 21, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonkeyCentreArf View Post
Back in the days of $2 to the pound Goodings always seemed good value to us tourists without cars. Once you had a car and found Publix or Walmart, Goodings was not somewhere you went back to.

Last time we went there was a visit to Buffalo Wild Wings. When we got back to the car I turned on the radio and there was no signal - someone had stolen the aerial from the hire car. Wanting to avoid any extra charges on taking the car back, we stopped off at the WDW Car Centre during a visit to MK.

I spent quite a while on the phone there reporting the issue - most of the time spent explaining that we were all fine and not traumatised by the event!

Having been through all that, someone from the car centre then went out to their car lot, removed an aerial from another hire car, stuck it on our car and sent us on our way.
Yes, I can't imagine anyone going back to that Goodings once they discovered Publix, Walmart or even Winn-Dixie!

And that's quite a story about the car aerial. Not a problem these days!
SimonV is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
itz_baseline
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Wow, Jungle Jim's - that's a real blast from the past! But it was definitely a sad loss back in the day. It set empty for years before becoming the Brazilian churrascaria The Knife, which we thought was OK but nothing special.

We suspect that junction (which we have to use a lot for I-4 access) is likely to be a nightmare for a while, but at least they have a lot of room to work with.
Lol Jungle Jim’s, that is a complete blast from the past. I remember they used to have a huge burger and a pound of fries eating challenge. If you finished it, you got it for free. I tried it once, got only about half way through it and felt sick for the rest of the day. Sure I have a picture of it somewhere.
itz_baseline is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Winn Dixie and ABC Liquor these days 😊
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 21, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by itz_baseline View Post
Lol Jungle Jim’s, that is a complete blast from the past. I remember they used to have a huge burger and a pound of fries eating challenge. If you finished it, you got it for free. I tried it once, got only about half way through it and felt sick for the rest of the day. Sure I have a picture of it somewhere.
Yes, that sounds about right!
SimonV is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 21, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by salmim View Post
Winn Dixie and ABC Liquor these days 😊
Yes, that's the way to go for best value. Mind you, we do have a brand new Aldi further up the 535, just north of Publix and south of Summerport, which seems to be even better priced for many things (albeit not everything).
Old 23 Feb 21, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
JimmyCricket
Excited about Disney

Used to love Jungle Jim’s and Chevys! Jungle Jim’s was my DS favourite at the time. If I remember correctly Chevys used to have a soft taco machine in the centre of the restaurant with the tacos on a conveyor belt?
JimmyCricket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by JimmyCricket View Post
Used to love Jungle Jim’s and Chevys! Jungle Jim’s was my DS favourite at the time. If I remember correctly Chevys used to have a soft taco machine in the centre of the restaurant with the tacos on a conveyor belt?
Is this what you mean for Chevys? I don't remember a conveyor belt as such, but each Chevys has what they call El Machine that is rotating 'conveyor' of freshly-made tacos: facebook/watch/?v=698887737252969
Old 26 Feb 21, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
JimmyCricket
Excited about Disney

That is what indeed I was going on about however my memory was of a much larger machine! 😃 thanks
JimmyCricket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 21, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
sunkisser
Imagineer

I remember eating at the Western Steer at Crossroads many years ago! The steaks were lovely 😋
There was also a bar selling 5 Rolling Rock beers in a bucket very cheap.

Edited at 04:14 PM.
sunkisser is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

There was a Western Steer restaurant on I-Drive (where there is now an Indian restaurant), but I don't remember one at the Crossroads. There IS a Black Angus steakhouse in the Crossroads area, though, which is actually quite similar (and very generic) to the Western Steer approach. The beer-in-a-bucket bar also sounds very like the old Orlando Ale House (now the Miller's Ale House chain), which remains great value for money