Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 2 Feb 21, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
Some more great looking food there, The Peking pork, grouse, lasagne, cheese, langoustines etc all all right up my street, and that full Scottish breakfast looks spot on too. I really should have made a better effort to see all that wonderful scenery on my last visit instead of spending most of my time in the pub
Look on the bright side though, you got to have all that time in the pub and have a reason to go back!

The food at the Three Chimneys was fab; we met a couple staying there for two nights, who were basically eating their way through the whole menu over the course of their stay.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 21, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Day 6: Homeward Bound!

Just a brief entry to capture the last bits of our trip.

First order of business was our last meal on Skye - breakfast!

Back in the same dining room as last night, but we had a window table this time, which was nice.

We both started with the award winning porridge (I overheard one of the other guests asking for some to be made with water; where’s the fun in that?!). It was suitably delicious.

And as much as I enjoy the Great Glen charcuterie products, having ordered them at home, for the last day of the holiday it had to be the full Scottish again.

Still think it needs a potato scone though.

We didn’t linger too long after breakfast, choosing instead to check out and get on the road. We only had one more item on our list of sightseeing points, which we came to not long after driving back across the bridge to the mainland.

Eilean Donan Castle - there can be only one.

eileandonancastle/

We hadn’t booked tickets in advance, which they were recommending due to COVID, but although it was relatively busy, we were both early in the day and slightly off-season, so could probably have purchased them at the gate.

DH was keen to get home, though, so instead we contented ourselves with a few photos. (By few, I mean about a dozen selfies plus many, many landscapes.)

Next time.

We took the more direct route home by cutting across the country (through some fab scenery and tackling a number of hills) to the A9. We made a brief loo stop at the House of Bruar, which we’d never ventured into before - the place was heaving, plus it was like a maze! They had staff on the doors to direct people into a one way system. I have a friend who lives nearby who loves the fish and chips there, but I was still too stuffed from breakfast

By early afternoon, we were home, and that means this trip report is done! I hope it’s been helpful, and enjoyable would be a bonus.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 21, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Great report, thanks for sharing all those fab pictures. I need breakfast now after seeing that nice looking one above, please to see the scrambled looking nice and moist and not rubbery as some people insist on serving it - and yeah I'm firmly in the potato products being a key element of breakfast camp
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 21, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
tigger48
VIP Dibber

Wordsworth I just want to say thank you for such a lovely trip report. The scenery is amazing and the food looks fabulous too. Some great ideas here.
tigger48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 21, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Really enjoyed your trip report! It has been over 20 years since I've been to Skye. DH & camped at a site right on one of the beaches. It was a gorgeous evening but the wind and rain took up during the night and we had to roll up a wet tent and make a dash for the hotel in town for breakfast. Don't remember enjoying a fry up more! I agree with you about missing the potato bread though.
When you mentioned about lack of public toilets, it did remind me of the most amazing toilets I'd ever been to that were in the Kyle of Lochalsh - all Scottish themed. First time I'd ever had to pay to go, but the theming was worth it.
Would love to go back to Skye now having read your report - the food looked amazing. Thanks for sharing.
Old 3 Feb 21, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
Great report, thanks for sharing all those fab pictures. I need breakfast now after seeing that nice looking one above, please to see the scrambled looking nice and moist and not rubbery as some people insist on serving it - and yeah I'm firmly in the potato products being a key element of breakfast camp
My weetabix just didn’t cut it this morning. And potatoes always improve a meal IMO. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Originally Posted by tigger48 View Post
Wordsworth I just want to say thank you for such a lovely trip report. The scenery is amazing and the food looks fabulous too. Some great ideas here.
Thanks for reading! I know I’ve definitely been in the mindset of thinking you have to go abroad for a holiday, so it’s been good to remind myself that’s not the case.

Originally Posted by JudeB View Post
Really enjoyed your trip report! It has been over 20 years since I've been to Skye. DH & camped at a site right on one of the beaches. It was a gorgeous evening but the wind and rain took up during the night and we had to roll up a wet tent and make a dash for the hotel in town for breakfast. Don't remember enjoying a fry up more! I agree with you about missing the potato bread though.
When you mentioned about lack of public toilets, it did remind me of the most amazing toilets I'd ever been to that were in the Kyle of Lochalsh - all Scottish themed. First time I'd ever had to pay to go, but the theming was worth it.
Would love to go back to Skye now having read your report - the food looked amazing. Thanks for sharing.
Skye was fantastic, and you’re braver than me re camping in Scotland though! Most of my childhood holidays involved a touring caravan so as an adult I enjoy splurging on hotels.

Thank you for reading, even my public loo rant
Old 24 Feb 21, 02:47 AM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We went to the fairy pools in November. We drove to Skye and back from fort Augustus. We only stopped there because it sounded like it would be worthwhile. Like you we were both quite disappointed. I also couldn’t get across the water at the bottom as the water was quite high whereas DH is a lot more athletic than me and so jumped over and off he went for a look while I turned back up the hill and back to the car.

We headed back home by fort William to the A9. Huge difference in the state of the roads between Highlands and Islands council and the A9 Morayshire/tayside. The roads in the highlands are in great shape.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 21, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Really enjoyed reading your trip report

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List