Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Feb 21, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Rachaelwoolly
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Supersuzie View Post
I'm not a nervous driver in the UK and when I was working in the office before lockdown, my daily commute was 50 miles roundtrip of mostly busy motorways. I am, however, not the most confident driver and waited until I was 30 to learn as I was convinced I would be terrible at it (I'm not and I passed first time).

We went to Florida in 2018 and I had every intention of driving but, when push came to shove, I just could not do it. I had a go round the empty car park at Disney Springs early one morning but I hated it and panicked when another car came anywhere near me.

When we went to Vegas and California in 2019, the plan depended on me being able to cover some of the driving as we were covering so many miles it was not fair to let my husband do it all. So I eased myself in on the I-15 and it was so different to Florida. West Coast drivers are so much more chilled out than Florida drivers. I did hundreds of miles, including a lot of twisty mountain roads in Sequoia National Park and I loved it!

This was a long way to say I know how you feel, I've been there and you can do it! Good luck and I hope you have a brilliant trip.
Aww ! Thanks Supersuzie
It sounds amazing and so glad you managed to do it !
Your tale has given me some courage !
My Dad has an automatic so I think thats a good starting point !
Rachaelwoolly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 21, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Rachaelwoolly
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
Honestly after driving an automatic for a while you'll prefer it to a manual. If I've been driving our automatic and then drive my old manual car I sometimes almost stall at the end of our close as forget I need to press the clutch 😂
Maybe you could hire an automatic for a weekend in the UK, or test drive one at a garage 😉
Thanks JudyC 1
That has made me chuckle ! that would be me !
Yes people who have them seem to prefer them, My dad has one so will ask him for a go too practice !
Rachaelwoolly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 21, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Rachaelwoolly
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by llamala View Post
We had 5 days in SF but this included our Dd s wedding( absolutely amazing) so as we did not want to drive in SF, we opted for trips, so did Yosemite, Alcatraz, a boat trip under the bridge and a city movie tour, Which was brilliant, we were on a mini bus with a video showing famous SF movies and then we were there with loads of background information.
Wow ! A wedding in San Francisco . Its good to hear you had a great time at some of the day trips . I like the idea of the movie tour !
Love Mrs Doubtfire
Old 3 Feb 21, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We used a hire car when we left San Francisco and went down the coast and didn’t fancy SFO with its ‘all ways’ junctions.

We used Avis Budget. (This was great as we practically always use Budget anyway). The Office we used was pretty much in the shadow of the Bay Bridge. Having picked up, it was 70 yds then turn left, 150 yds turn left again and we were on the ramp of the Bay Bridge heading out of town! From there onwards, the roads were simple, out and through Oakland

Depending on where you stay, the pick up was just a walk from Powell Bart, Powell Cable turnaround or Union Sq. of course you could get there by Uber or Taxi.

You will hopefully find better detail of the pick up in our 2018 trip report.. California N to South, that is in my signature.

Edited at 06:04 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 21, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

I would add to other people's comments that driving in the USA is a good experience. If you're starting in San Francisco I'd definitely wait till you leave to hire a car. The cost of car parking there is expensive, unless you stay in a rare hotel with free parking. (That's what we did, as we started our holiday in LA).

San Francisco has a good public transport system, as well as the famous cable cars. Uber is easy to use.

We drove from SF to Yosemite, and we stayed in the park. I'm glad we did as it was August and the driving into the Park was busy.

Don't know where you're thinking of staying in LA, but the traffic around LA can be very congested, and quite 'zippy' when it is uncongested. If you were going to drive there later in your holiday you'd be an 'old hand' by the time you got there. It's not terrible, but just something to be aware of.

Hope you find some good options and happy planning!
Old 4 Feb 21, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again if you drive get a car when ready to leave San Fran. 3.5 to Yosemite, easy drive. From Yosemite it’s a similar distance to Monterey ( whale watching is a must do )
Sanfran 4/5 n
Yosemite 2/3
Monterey 2
1 or 2 stops on coast and 2/3 days Disney
Hope this gives some food for thought
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 21, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I personally would not even attempt such a trip without driving.
Driving over there is generally a lot easier than here.
Old 4 Feb 21, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Rachaelwoolly
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
We used a hire car when we left San Francisco and went down the coast and didn’t fancy SFO with its ‘all ways’ junctions.

We used Avis Budget. (This was great as we practically always use Budget anyway). The Office we used was pretty much in the shadow of the Bay Beidge. Having picked up, it was 70 yds then turn left, 150 yds turn left again and we were on the ramp of the Bay Bridge heading out of town! From there onwards, the roads were simple, out and through Oakland

Depending on where you stay, the pick up was just a walk from Powell Bart, Powell Cable turnaround or Union Sq. of course you could get there by Uber or Taxi.

You will hopefully find better detail of the pick up in our 2018 trip report.. California N to South, that is in my signature.
Thanks for the recommendations and specific advice that is so helpful Cornishfrogboy
Great trip reports BTW
Old 4 Feb 21, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Rachaelwoolly
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I personally would not even attempt such a trip without driving.
Driving over there is generally a lot easier than here.
yep I agree we will get so much more out of it !
Old 4 Feb 21, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
llamala
Imagineer

We did see the house from Mrs Doubtfire, plus locations from loads of other movies. DD got married at The palace of fine arts, which is a park area with lakes and “roman/greek architecture. It was perfect we had photos with swans on the lake, and with the pillars etc. There is also a house which Marilyn monroe live in.
We stayed in The Argonaut Hotel, which is gorgeous. Right on Fishermans wharf. Really easy to get around.
We we t in November and found the weather to be very nice, not hot, but ok DD wore a strappy dress. No fog either.
On leaving SF we drove to Lake Havasu(where London Bridge is) prettt hot there. Then on to the Grand Canyon and Vegas.
We took DS and my parents, D d and DSil went to Florida to WDW lol.
llamala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List