Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Mar 21, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordie boy 57
Imagineer

Geordie boy 57's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
$90 to use the Turnpike between Miami and Orlando, are you sure about the figures?
According to Sunpass calculator it’s no more than $25 depending on where you come off
2018 3 weeks Dibb villa/1 night Clearwater/1 night RPR
2023 Christmas/New Year. Clearwater/Dibb villa/HRH
Geordie boy 57 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 21, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

As others have mentioned its a fairly long drive and whilst there could be described as " rush hours" the area around Miami airport is usually pretty busy.

As a first time driver I wouldn't think about trying to go straight up to Orlando

In our past experience of driving in the US , we have encountered huge traffic jams due to accidents , storms which come out of nowhere and the fact you are driving a vehicle you are not used to.

Stay overnight near the airport and drive up the next day, it will be far less stressful
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 21, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Siff
Proud to wear my Ears

Good advice already given here. I would just wish to add that the more southern parts of the i-95 and the turnpike can be challenging at the best of times. Drivers are pretty unforgiving and tend to switch lanes, don't allow you to merge and generally aggressive! This continues to past Ft. Lauderdale where the congestion starts to ease. The positives about the turnpike are the service plazas where you can stop and stretch your legs and have an Earl of sandwich. I would budget about 4.5-5 hrs driving time at a relaxed pace, the tolls last time I drove it (2019) were $14 one way depending where you get on and off.
Thanks for the others suggesting the 27, I actually never considered that route!
Siff is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 21, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Siff View Post
Good advice already given here. I would just wish to add that the more southern parts of the i-95 and the turnpike can be challenging at the best of times. Drivers are pretty unforgiving and tend to switch lanes, don't allow you to merge and generally aggressive! This continues to past Ft. Lauderdale where the congestion starts to ease. The positives about the turnpike are the service plazas where you can stop and stretch your legs and have an Earl of sandwich. I would budget about 4.5-5 hrs driving time at a relaxed pace, the tolls last time I drove it (2019) were $14 one way depending where you get on and off.
Thanks for the others suggesting the 27, I actually never considered that route!
Good tip about the E of S - get into training for more at Disney Springs later.

I didn't really answer one of the OP's questions though but I'm inclined to agree with most of the other replies as it will be your first time driving over there. You'll be tired and it may be dark. Stay in an airport hotel, a bit of a lie in and a leisurely breakfast. Then collect the car and take a steady drive up late morning.

Mick
Old 26 Mar 21, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

One year we had a fairly late arrival at Miami and found an off airport hotel who ran a free bus to and from the airport. When we were through the airport we rang the hotel, arranged where to meet and were taken to the hotel the following morning the hotel bus took us back to the airport where we collected our car and drove up to Orlando via the 27.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 21, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
$90 to use the Turnpike between Miami and Orlando, are you sure about the figures?
I may well be wrong. I found the information on another web site a few years ago when we last flew into Miami. In the end it didn’t matter as we went up the 27. Easy drive for the most part. Sorry if my figures are off. (Massively)
Looks like $28 roughly unless you get the sunpass discount.
floridasturnpike/TollCalc/

Edited at 09:47 PM.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 21, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer! View Post
I had previously posted and got some good reading and advice for first timers driving.
Although I’m nervous the flight prices are good at the moment to Miami over Easter.

What’s the drive like from Miami airport to Orlando?
Would it be better to drive straight from the airport or the next morning (real early) in hope to avoid rush hour traffic?
Would you advise against a first time driver over there driving that?

Thank you!
Hi DD - knocked out a SR-27 route, avoiding tolls, Miami to Orlando, on Google maps, click HERE. You can use that template by entering your Orlando address should you decide to fly into Miami.
Old 27 Mar 21, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
twogoto
VIP Dibber

We've never braved driving in the US yet but we did fly from Orlando to Miami once on a domestic flight and it was only around $40 each so that might be worth looking at if you'd rather not drive. Worked out more cost effective than car hire and parking for us at the time and it was all considered part of one booking via netflights so we didn't have to pay extra for bags on the plane.
Sept 21 TwoGoTo Aiya Napa - Amarande Hotel
Nov 21 TwoGoTo New York - The James New York Nomad
Mar 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Cabana Bay
Sept 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
Nov 22 TwoGoTo Rome - 9Hotel Cesari
July 23 TwoGoTo Kos - Mitsis Summer Palace
Sept 23 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
twogoto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 21, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Wolf1984
Imagineer

Stay the night. It's a long drive after after long flight. We'll venture as far as Deeefield Beach after landing and stay there for the night when we go in Oct.
Wolf1984 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 21, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve done the Orlando to Miami (& reverse) drive a few times now & I still don’t think we’d want to do it on arrival day. It’s a long enough day as it is and to us just isn’t worth taking a chance on.

Especially if the flight ends up running late or there’s a massive queue at immigration or car hire pick up.

We’d stay on airport & set off early (thanks jet lag) the next morning.

I do know some how have done it - there are a couple of vloggers that spring to mind, but they are also frequent drivers / US travellers too.
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List