Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 10 Apr 21, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jampxx View Post
Hello!

Love the gulf coast for Sunsets so don't miss them! A few other ideas.

Cabbage Key Inn for cheeseburgers combined with a couple of hours on Cayo Costa makes an adventurous day (need to get a boat from Pine Island).

If you drive from the keys to Naples, take the old highway (41) and stop at the free park ranger stations along the way to see the everglades (does take longer!)

Everglades Wonder Gardens in Bonita Springs for old school florida (and stop in Skillets for food!)

The farmers market in Lakes Park near Fort Myers (and Castle Mini Golf) , see the model trains and take the train ride.

Miromar Outlets

Manatee Park to see the Manatees (Cracker Barrell is also close!)

The Edison Ford Estate in Fort Myers is really good too (if only for the impossibly dangerous swimming pool)

Can't wait to get back! Have fun.
Thanks for your reply!
Some new ideas on here so thank you so much!

Yes, we usually go across on the 41, we really look forward to ot, takes us aaaall day as we are forever stopping!

Cannot WAIT to take a million photos of the sunsets!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nazzer View Post
Hi, I'd recommend, Feed the tarpon at Robbies islamorida. Theatre of the sea islamorida. Fishing trip on marathon lady and cook your catch at the restaurant next to the Dock. Christ of the abyss key largo. We stayed at Hampton Inn at key largo. Highly recommend it, kids were fascinated by the iguanas of which there are 100's
Hi, thanks for these suggestions!
Just looked, and Tarpon are funny looking fish aren't they!

We are staying at Baker's Cay at Key Largo, though we DO like Hampton Inn's generally, they do a decent breakfast!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mqt View Post
Hi. Depends how long you’re on Anna Maria, but a few good things to do include visits to both piers. Ride the free island trolley. Leffis Key (nice boardwalk through tropical setting with lovely water views). Eat breakfast at Ginny and Jane E’s. Have dinner on the beach at The Sandbar. Hire bikes and cycle to Robinsons Preserve. Hire Kayaks and paddle through mangroves or at Robinson’s Preserve. Go on a dolphin watch boat. Shop at University Mall at Sarasota. Spend sunset on the beach. Visit Bean Point... I could go on...🙂
These ideas are great and I'll be looking them up Especially like the sound of the boardwalk through a tropical seeting!
We have spend a day at Anna Maria before but not stayed overnight, this time we are having 2 nights there, so more time to fit fun stuff in, if we can tear ourselves away from the sand...
Old 10 Apr 21, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by g1970 View Post
Definitely look into a custom charter.

We contacted one of the guys who rode out Hurricane Irma on a boat in Key West and streamed it on FB. He asked if we wanted a 3 hour custom charter on his speed boat for $200.

It was only us and him. We saw dolphins up close, visited a sandbank and paddled and just chatted and the time flew by.

I paid him $250 dollars and both myself and my partner agree it was the highlight of that holiday.

I dont know if he's still down there as I think covid hit them pretty hard but if you check out Tripadvisor, there are plenty of people doing them

Oh...and definitely grab breakfast/lunch in Harpoon Harrys before you go
Awww. See, I'd LOVE to go out on a boat but hubby is sea sick on smaller boats!

Harpoon Harrys looks so good!
Old 10 Apr 21, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Leyfy View Post
Eat some frozen Key Lime Pie on a stick from Kermit's in Key West!

I can thoroughly recommend Fury Water adventures as well in Key West - we've been out with them twice snorkelling and had a great time.
Frozen Key Lime pie on a stick you say?
Well I will just have to try that!
Old 10 Apr 21, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
These ideas are great and I'll be looking them up Especially like the sound of the boardwalk through a tropical seeting!
We have spend a day at Anna Maria before but not stayed overnight, this time we are having 2 nights there, so more time to fit fun stuff in, if we can tear ourselves away from the sand...
Let me know if there are any particular types of activities you enjoy and I can probably point you in the right direction. Having said that, the beaches are indeed so lovely you may not wish to do anything else! 🙂
Mqt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninnybobs
Apprentice Imagineer

Lovers Key at Fort Myers... try the kayaking with the manatees
Ninnybobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Just remembered- butterfly sanctuary on Duval, lovely way to spend a relaxing hour or two

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Hi CL - we winter on Bokeelia, Pine Island and head out into the Gulf a few times with Capt Bruce. You'll be out for circa 6 to 7 hours at $50pp for the day. He owns a double bimini pontoon boat, see photo's and details HERE.

His service is excellent, he loves being out on the water as much as his pax, shouts out when he sees dolphin and turns the boat so you, and he, can get photos. He'll make suggestions or you can leave him to it. We like to go to Fosters Bay, tie up and walk thro to Upper Captiva beach. We take a picnic with us but you can tie up at Cabbage Key for lunch if you wish. I guarantee you'll have a superb day.
Old 10 Apr 21, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Capt Bruce...

Another superb day lined up, you'll need a hat, hence my red one and plenty of sunblock and ample drinks, he has a large cooler just take a bag of ice. If you wish, afore heading back to Pine Island he'll take you to North Captiva for a Mango's cocktail and dip in the Island Club large pool, see HERE...