Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 May 21, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
My Wife along with many others on here have had it done.

Her suggestion is if they do offer you a choice have the anterior method as opposed to the posterior method.
The anterior operation is far less brutal, the scar is smaller, less muscle is cut and the recovery is quick. Plus you can do things from Day 1 after the op that you cannot do for weeks with the other method.

Oh, and try and build muscle if you can before the operation.

Any questions on exercises etc please come back and she will answer you.
My Dad has excessively worn joints result of some pretty awefull Chemo over the last 10years (mantle cell lymphoma)

This has destroyed the cartilage in both hips, he has been on the waiting list until he is in remission. The have said he needs to excesise to build muscle, but the right hip pops in and out of joint, he can barely walk, and when he does it sounds like someone is spashing bags of bubble wrap.
He is meeting with anithatist tomorrow morning 🙏🤞🤞.
Old 4 May 21, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Colin. Best wishes to him and as you say fingers crossed.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Colin. Best wishes to him and as you say fingers crossed.
Thanks Tom. He has good days but i dont think he has been pain free for at least 10years. Wouldnt leave a dog like this.
As a shipwright chippy he has always been active, never smoked, loved a beer, and ate relatively healthily. God this thing is horrid.

Sorry to bring the thread down. Was just happy reading the positives.
Id be happy if he could drive his camper again. The bought a new one 2years ago and the start of 2020 he lost the feeling in his feet (necropsie) caused by the chemo and hip damage.
He now cant lift that important foot ,the brake one 🤣😂😂, so he decided to stop driving.
Old 4 May 21, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by colin39 View Post
Thanks Tom. He has good days but i dont think he has been pain free for at least 10years. Wouldnt leave a dog like this.
As a shipwright chippy he has always been active, never smoked, loved a beer, and ate relatively healthily. God this thing is horrid.

Sorry to bring the thread down. Was just happy reading the positives.
Id be happy if he could drive his camper again. The bought a new one 2years ago and the start of 2020 he lost the feeling in his feet (necropsie) caused by the chemo and hip damage.
He now cant lift that important foot ,the brake one 🤣😂😂, so he decided to stop driving.
Sending my very best wishes, it must be just awful xxx
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Sally42
Imagineer

I was 29 when I had mine. I’m 58 and it’s still going strong!
I’m sure the recovery period will have changed but I was up and walking in day 1. I was discharged when I could manage steps and had 2 sticks. They gave me a raised toilet seat and a contraption for putting socks/tights on. I had 2 sticks and was recommended I used them for 6 weeks. I was told not to drive for 6 weeks also.
Mine really changed my life. I used a wheelchair prior to the op.
I had 3 very young children.
Good luck. It’s an amazing life changing operation x x

Edited at 08:38 AM.
Sally42 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
One suspects it's not the same in every NHS Trust but where my Wife went for her operation they ran a class/lecture circa 4 weeks before Surgery to give advice on what get to assist the Patient after the procedure such as mobility aids (most are free anyhow) and what to expect afterwards.
Plus some books were given out on the exercise regime to follow, how to do simple exercises in the house and support available if somebody lives alone etc.

Most helpful.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hecky78 View Post
Thank you so much for everyone’s replies. My works asking me how long I am likely to be off. I know everyone is different but rough ideas would be great thanks
I was off for 8 weeks could have easily gone back after 6
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
My hubby has had both his done, one age 50, the other at 53. First was general anaesthetic, the second was epidural. The second was much better regarding recovery and bruising. He was walking up and down the stairs the day after the op.
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Dad was green lighted Wednesday by anithatist, max 3month wait 👍 will be done under epidural.
Ive now shipped them both of to my sister in yamouth 🙋
Old 27 Jul 21, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, I’ve been told today that I need both hips replaced, this was at a private physiotherapist appointment, she’s given me a letter to take to my GP and she recommended paying to see a consultant initially as the NHS wait time is around 100 weeks! apparently I can then go onto the NHS waiting list, it’s a bit scary, she said for my age my hips are among the worst she’s ever seen 😢😢😢
Loulou127 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List