Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 May 21, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

I find the debate around it interesting from a purely academic point of view. I think it is a reflection of a time and a thinking when a men felt they had a right to kiss a women without her consent. I think Disney is unique brand that has tracked the social history of modern people. How we have moved from little damsels in distress to powerful women like Moana / Mulan etc and everything in between. The stuff with racist undertones where reflections of the times.

I do think this stuff does have an impact on people. If you are young boy seeing the prince kissing the princess without permission it is a pin prick in the upbringing of that kid. Of course that all it is - a pin prick. Social norms and ideals are built on much bigger and cumulative things than this though and you can easily find criticism in any work of art or fiction.

I think its a mistake to dismiss criticism of such imagery / ideas or stories and its good to have conversations around it - specially with the kids. If I was a teacher talking about this stuff to primary age children or around that age this would be a useful interesting tool.

But this is all from academic point of view. If you are getting to the point of banning / censoring or removing then I think you are slightly losing the plot I don't see any issue with Disney to continue to use this historic stuff. Its as sweet as it is troubling. I don't want to wrap my kids up in cotton wool thanks. I would rather go and enjoy the film and ride and then educate my kids on the issue as well. Too many people view everything in absolutes.

Edited at 03:18 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Tillyfloss
Imagineer

If watching this scene either on the ride or in the film can be deemed to have an influence then than suggests it is believable.
If all those girls are now thinking about ‘consent’ are they also waiting for the birds and woodland creatures to come and do their laundry and cleaning 😉

Edited at 04:29 PM.
Tillyfloss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

I'm also finding the debate interesting. My son is only 1, but at the point we are watching older Disney films together and he is old enough to understand I'll make sure we have a discussion around consent and that it's not cool to kiss unconscious girls.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Tco200
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Keira Knightley says she has banned her three-year-old daughter from watching Disney films whose portrayal of women she disagrees with.

Edie Knightley Righton is not allowed to watch Cinderella or Little Mermaid.

Knightley told Ellen DeGeneres that 1950's Cinderella "waits around for a rich guy to rescue her. Don't! Rescue yourself. Obviously!"

She said of Little Mermaid: "I mean, the songs are great, but do not give your voice up for a man. Hello!"

Says the actress who made a fortune from heaving breasts.. obviously her daughter won't be watching pride and prejudice where they're all after men lol
Oh come on, having breasts is hardly what made Keira Knightly famous.

She had her big break as a kid in Bend it like Beckham
Tco200 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Keira Knightly quite famously fought the King Arthur promo company to display her true self rather than the digital manipulation of her figure. (Her waist and bust had been "enhanced".) She has always been principled.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnnyp
Imagineer

Johnnyp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Originally Posted by prugone View Post
My God, what did we do years ago before the PC Brigade took over the world!
We had a life 😉
Johnnyp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 21, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

It's years since I watched Snow White, but didn't the prince believe she had died and was kissing her goodbye out of love? If so, it's not comparable to accosting an unconscious human!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 12:23 AM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 21, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tillyfloss View Post
If watching this scene either on the ride or in the film can be deemed to have an influence then than suggests it is believable.
If all those girls are now thinking about ‘consent’ are they also waiting for the birds and woodland creatures to come and do their laundry and cleaning 😉
nail on head

its a fairytale get a grip
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 21, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
It's years since I watched Snow White, but didn't the prince believe she had died and was kissing her goodbye out of love?
Being dead does make it somewhat difficult to ask for consent.

I'm surprised people haven't commented on the Prince's apparent necrophilia, given that (according to some) he's forcing himself on what he believes is a dead girl.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List