Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 May 21, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Dentist - bridges

I won't go into it 🙈 but when I was a teen I had two teeth knocked out.

I don't know who this shark is but I've basically got my front and the two next to that, then two gaps and a back tooth.

You can't tell when I smile front on but you can from the side, anyway finally booked a dentist app for today

He tells me he wouldn't fit a bridge as it would mean damaging the two teeth there to fit it, he says he can give me a great guy to do an implant but looking at £3,500-£4000

After back and forth chat he then says he could do a bridge privately.

I know I should have asked while I was there but I just get a bit overwhelmed

So now I'm confused, why is a bridge not doable on NHS payment (£300 ish) but it's okay to be done private (£1000)
Old 5 May 21, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

My best guess (& it is a guess) is that the NHS fee is subsidised so has to meet criteria and this is classed maybe as a cosmetic need than 100% necessary. Perhaps his reasoning when he said he can’t do it on the NHS was he just grappled for a reason.

I have a bridge but it’s almost the front tooth. I had a plate first - for a long time - as the tooth next to it wasn’t considered an ideal candidate to hold the bridge. Eventually the plate damaged the roof of my mouth. I had the bridge over 7yrs ago and it’s never been an issue despite the holder tooth not been perfect.
ely3857 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
A bridge is covered on the NHS dental scheme. I guess he doesn’t want to do it due to the time it will take and the money he will receive for it. I guess he doesn’t have to do it?
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Louise. My Wife has 2 Bridges and the Lab fees to make them are between £450 and £700 depending on what they are made of. The more expensive carry a better warranty and look more natural.

The Dentists fee with Denplan is free so that's the entire cost

However there is a big issue with Bridges. You are totally reliant on the teeth each side of the gap never cracking/breaking/rotting. If they do the Bridge is compromised sadly.

I would opt for an Implant if you can stretch to it.

Edit. Found the Dentists E Mail - A zirconia bridge. This has fantastic cosmetics and is very strong. They come with a 10 yr guarantee against fractures. The lab bill would be £615.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 11:04 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

When I was a child I lost my 2 front teeth due to an abscess, until I was 22 I had a denture, then a new dentist suggested a bridge, which I went for, as previous posters have said the bridge relies on the strength of the teeth either side and over the years I ended up having to go even wider when the supporting tooth failed, until the dentist said it was no longer viable and I ended up back with a denture, whilst the bridge was fine it was great, but the treatment each time it ‘failed’ was not great, on one occasion the dentist had to go through my gum because he couldn’t get to the root of the tooth the usual way, my treatment was NHS but I had to get it approved each time by a third party, hope this helps x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
On the other hand, I've had a bridge on my front teeth for well over 30 years and never a minute's problems - I did have to have the old bridge replaced about tn years ago
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

I have the same problem (last but one tooth though) and was told the exact same thing, I’m just living with the gap at the moment and will have to go for an implant when I can. I’m currently paying £3k for braces which I find much better value for money as at least they are fixing all teeth and not just one 😂
2018 - Villa in Davenport
2022 - Blue Tree Resort
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
My daughter has a single tooth bridge. It’s attached to the tooth next to it. It was done on the NHS and cost around £260 3 years ago.

I’d be asking why it can’t be done on the NHS.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
My daughter has a single tooth bridge. It’s attached to the tooth next to it. It was done on the NHS and cost around £260 3 years ago.

I’d be asking why it can’t be done on the NHS.
I think the NHS will not “damage” a good tooth to create a bridge for the gap. They will only do this if the tooth next to the gap already has damage to it. If you want to go ahead with damaging a good tooth you have to pay privately for it. The NHS will only cover necessary treatment so if your gap causes no issues it’s just cosmetic and why they won’t cover damaging a good tooth for it.
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
They had to do something to the back of the other tooth but I don’t think it was significant damage.

She’s just said the biggest downside is that it glows in the dark.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List