Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 May 21, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Integrating free standing appliances

Hi

Another kitchen planning related question... sorry hahahaa

We have a free standing washer and dryer which I do not wish to replace but would like to try and hide with a bit of a makeshift cabinet and doors.

Has anyone else done this? I've seen lots of stuff online about it and understand the worktop will be deeper etc.

I have 130cm of space and thinking it may be possible with 3 end panels, and some doors?

I want to integrate mainly because on that run in the kitchen, we will only have one base cabinet so just one door floating on its own looks rubbish. Our plan is a pull out larder, our freestanding fridge/freezer, a slimline freestanding dishwasher, small cupboard for sink on top, washer then dryer.

x

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

This is what we have done, we could have added doors if we had made it deeper but as it is in the utility we didn't bother. The only thing our carpenter said against it was you would have to remove the plinth if you needed to pull them out to repair or replace.

Don't think it would be possible with a dishwasher due to the door catching on the plinth.

Hope that helps!

Old 5 May 21, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Can you box in free standing appliances? I'd be worried they'd over heat.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

hiya, we would of stacked but no appropriate place to do so in our kitchen. so it is side by side.

yea you can do it. i think you can use them with the door open and/or have vents etc... various options x

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Stan1805
Serious Dibber

In Our previous kitchen we had our freestanding washing machine boxed in. The worktop was deeper on that side and the joiner made a plinth that surrounded the machine so that if we required access it wasn’t an issue. We had a few repairs on machine and it didn’t cause any problems to the repair men. Can’t show a photo as kitchen has since been replaced and now have integrated.
Stan1805 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

In a previous property I had my them boxed in - washer dryer and dishwasher. The worktop was deeper and the plinth of the dishwasher cut away at the top (you didnt see it unless your hands and knees) - this was in the 1990’s so maybe things can be done differently/neater but it wasnt an issue to take them out when needed eg spring clean behind or clean drains etc.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Easy to do if you have a Bench Saw. Basically buy the nearest size Base Unit that is needed, or two. Then cut them to fit around the appliances and more importantly to utilise the doors that you select. Mind you even doors can sometimes be made smaller.

The Units will stand an extra distance than normal off the wall but you deal with that by using L Brackets on the inside of the Unit screwed to them and the wall so it's all nice and square and solid. Then sort the sides out with decor panels and finally fit a deeper worktop.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Easy to do if you have a Bench Saw. Basically buy the nearest size Base Unit that is needed, or two. Then cut them to fit around the appliances and more importantly to utilise the doors that you select. Mind you even doors can sometimes be made smaller.

The Units will stand an extra distance than normal off the wall but you deal with that by using L Brackets on the inside of the Unit screwed to them and the wall so it's all nice and square and solid. Then sort the sides out with decor panels and finally fit a deeper worktop.
Not sure what you mean by cut them to fit... both appliances are 60cm and a cabinet is 60 cm (but not the space inside cos of the sides). I thought we'd have to get three end panels, do a bar top and back to hold them together a bit and then hinge doors on?

I really need to try and figure out what we need to buy, especially if I get a kitchen from diy kitchens as will have to add all the bits into my basket to purchase and the wait time is a while so don't want to get it wrong :|

x

Old 5 May 21, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
The doors are the key. Their size will determine the width of the unit. You may have to have a gap between them with a fixed panel that may be a cut down door.

I would buy a 1000mm cabinet plus a 300mm cabinet. Then out of those two make a 1300 one that will allow the appliances to slide in. Fit two 600mm doors with a filler panel in between. Put a matching cupboard knob on that fixed panel so it looks part of the whole scheme. Or fix the decor panel bit on to one of the opening doors but use spacer washers on the dowels you connect them with so it looks like it's not part of that one door.

Or buy two 600mm cabinets and fiddle the gap between them albeit that will be harder.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

We did it in our last kitchen. We had the room to build out a false wall to hang wall cupboards and then have a regular depth work surface. The back of the appliances was tucked under the false wall so that cupboard doors could hide them.
We had to change the washing machine after a few years and it was just a case of taking off the kick board and sliding out.
Not a great photo but it’s the 2 doors against the back wall.