Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Dec 18, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
pchivvy
VIP Dibber

pchivvy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Charging Adult Children rent

Hi

both my two grown up children are living at home, both are in their twenties and have good jobs with a decent income of surplus £20k.

I have only ever charged a minimal £150 rent per month each which includes all bills, food etc. They generally buy their own toiletries. They both run decent cars and are self sufficient in every other sense.

How much if anything, would you charge? Money is a bit tight at this moment, and what I don't want to do is 'profit' from them, but I do want them to be paying a fair rate but I am not sure what that is.

2017- Eeyores Escape
2013 and 2014- Hampton Lakes
2012-8 nights AKL, 7 BWV
2011- Disneys Port Orleans Riverside
2004-2010- Various Villas, RPR
2002- All Star Movies, Clearwater
2001- Holiday Inn
2000- All Star Movies
pchivvy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Emmapink
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Me and my husband live with my parents. We buy our own toiletries, any extras we want such as food or drinks and pay for the tv and internet package (husband needed sports &#128514 we pay £80 a week to my parents
Emmapink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

I would be looking at a minimum of £200, per month. They couldn't rent a place for 300/400 a month, so perhaps have a talk with them. X
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

We’ve had this debate on here before and you will find many opposing views, so basically up to you... mine never earned a lot while living at home but all paid “board” worked out at 25% of their basic take home pay... never made a profit from them but did help the very stretched finances a little...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Mine are only young at the minute but I will definitely charge board.
I intend to put it in a savings account so they aren't frittering it away (hoping I have a good financial situation.
Paying board is preparing them for life. In my early 20's I was paying a mortgage and bills , council tax repairs etc as well as having financial responsibility for children. £150 in my opinion for all these things is nothing.
I'm not sure how much I will charge but even uni accommodation is probably about £80 per week and that is disgusting so I think you are undercharging in terms of them 'learning' the cost of real life.
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

I pay £216 a month to my mum - it was the child support she lost when I didn’t go to uni. (Or tax credits or what ever)
Prehaps just have a little chat with them, explain things are a little tough and you would like £x a month more starting January’s pay packet, as long as your not charging more then a room in a shared house nearby it’s fair. Or an agreement that they take on another bill temporarily?
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I moved in with my fiancé's parents for a bit. I purchased own toiletries and most own food, but was welcome to use bread, milk, basic toiletries.

I paid £80 a week.
Old 3 Dec 18, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

When I started work at 16 (30+ years ago). I paid my mum £175 per month (25% of salary) plus half of all electric, gas & phone bills when they came in.

Avoided the sudden crashing down to earth/reality check when I got my own place and started paying a mortgage & my own household bills at 24.

Edited at 11:16 AM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

My parents always said they would never charge board when I was in full time education, despite having a part time job.

As soon as I got a full time job I moved in with my partner into rented accommodation and bought a house 9 months later. So never paid them any rent.

On the contrary, my step sister is still living at home aged 25 and has a job but only pays very minimal rent (nowhere near enough), so she has no incentive to move out and wastes all her earnings, and generally is getting nowhere in life.

Down here it costs £800 to rent a flat so I think 50% of standard market rate would seem fair, considering that on top of the rent you also are getting free bills, council, tax, food etc. Obviously depends on their income though.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
pchivvy
VIP Dibber

pchivvy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Thanks for the replies everyone. It feels like I am right to ask for more (hate doing so though but that's me)!

I hadn't really thought about it before but then realised that they are both earning more than my husband yet contribute relatively little to the household.

I now need to try and broad the subject.

2017- Eeyores Escape
2013 and 2014- Hampton Lakes
2012-8 nights AKL, 7 BWV
2011- Disneys Port Orleans Riverside
2004-2010- Various Villas, RPR
2002- All Star Movies, Clearwater
2001- Holiday Inn
2000- All Star Movies
pchivvy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List