Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 5 Jul 20, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Mobile

I was reading some twitter threads this morning and the residents are basically telling those Cornwall and Devon holiday makers (in no uncertain terms) to Stay Away and I’ve said that politely.
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by MarkUK View Post
I was reading some twitter threads this morning and the residents are basically telling those Cornwall and Devon holiday makers (in no uncertain terms) to Stay Away and I’ve said that politely.
I can believe it - we live in Exeter and the queues of caravans on the motorway down to the resorts yesterday was horrific.

Whilst it might seem unreasonable to those that want to holiday here, I think we’ve so far been comparably unscathed by the virus, so it does certainly feel here that our threat will come from tourists descending on us & when you see them arriving in droves, I can see why residents of the tourist spots are feeling anxious. I think that’s quite a natural response, particularly in Cornwall where they just don’t have the hospitals to cope should they get a major outbreak.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 20, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Maybe the government should ban Devon and Cornwall holidays otherwise people will continue to flock there unfortunately
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 20, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Mobile

Certainly thinking now of cancelling our August Devon break as I don’t want to visit somewhere i’m not welcome
Old 5 Jul 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Bit confusing as UK resort hotels etc begging to open up, and then we are told to stay away!

We must all live close to some beautiful country side, if not beaches - surely better to stay local and go for days out?

I think we could rediscover some great stuff nor fat away if we put our minds to it...
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 20, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Sukey
Excited about Disney

We’ve got a cottage in Wales booked for 2 weeks time and I’m a bit worried what the response from locals will be like. We’re also going to France for 2 weeks in August. Not sure we will got to Lanzarote in October half term. I will decide nearer the time depending on whether we seem to have the virus under control or if cases are rapidly rising.
Sukey is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 20, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sukey View Post
We’ve got a cottage in Wales booked for 2 weeks time and I’m a bit worried what the response from locals will be like.
If you just keep yourself to yourself, eat in the cottage etc. you should be ok. But your right, from what I’ve read this weekend the locals certainly don’t want you (us)
Old 5 Jul 20, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sukey View Post
We’ve got a cottage in Wales booked for 2 weeks time and I’m a bit worried what the response from locals will be like. We’re also going to France for 2 weeks in August. Not sure we will got to Lanzarote in October half term. I will decide nearer the time depending on whether we seem to have the virus under control or if cases are rapidly rising.
A pub landlord from the Welsh/English border was on the radio on Friday and he couldn’t wait for the local caravan sites to re-open. He said that the pubs, restaurants and take-aways in the area depended on tourist trade. You may not be a bad response for your visit. Spending money in the area supports the local business get back to normal.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 20, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by MarkUK View Post
Certainly thinking now of cancelling our August Devon break as I don’t want to visit somewhere i’m not welcome
I wouldn’t cancel, But I would (personally) just avoid the touristy beaches and head up to the moors.

We have leave from work in August and as our US trip has been cancelled, we are going to attempt day trips to Dartmoor for picnics and walking, but if we get where we planned and it’s busy, we will keep driving until we find somewhere where no one is around. I am not venturing into Exeter town centre any time soon, as apparently it was already heaving yesterday (locals and tourists), it’s just not worth the exposure for me - as I say, we’ve been so fortunate to avoid most of what’s been going on in the rest of the country, that it feels like we are the most at risk from the holiday season starting now.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 20, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
I wouldn’t cancel, But I would (personally) just avoid the touristy beaches and head up to the moors.

We have leave from work in August and as our US trip has been cancelled, we are going to attempt day trips to Dartmoor for picnics and walking, but if we get where we planned and it’s busy, we will keep driving until we find somewhere where no one is around. I am not venturing into Exeter town centre any time soon, as apparently it was already heaving yesterday (locals and tourists), it’s just not worth the exposure for me - as I say, we’ve been so fortunate to avoid most of what’s been going on in the rest of the country, that it feels like we are the most at risk from the holiday season starting now.
Yeah it’s a fine line isn’t it. It’s just getting to the point of not sounding much like a holiday. It won’t hurt us to cancel and I wouldn’t ever visit anywhere where I wasn’t welcome. I’m guessing it’ll be the same of most places this summer; Businesses want you but 95% of locals don’t!