Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 19 Jan 19, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
ufm
VIP Dibber

ufm's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Mobile Train from Swansea to gatwick

Hi everyone, has anybody taken the train to gatwick from Swansea area, was wondering what the experience would be like with the cases and the kids. I usually drive and park but car parking and fuel is tipping the balance on cost and case space in the car is a little tight!
2012 Going DIY for a try :-) Trip Report
2010 Indian Creek Villa - Trip Report
2008/Enclave Suites 2007/Ramada IDrive
ufm is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Robblps
Very Serious Dibber

I’ve kinda done the same route but home. I live in Merthyr, and I know the train changes in Reading. It’s a decent journey, goes pretty fast and for the kids it isn’t too bad I’d imagine. The view is constantly changing and it’s a smooth journey. Plus the trains have plug sockets which helps too. I know this isn’t much help , but if anything it’ll put it back to the top of the forum for you though 😂😂
Robblps is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
welshmum
Imagineer

We would have done the Newport - Gatwick train (stopping in reading) in 2016 but had to cancel our holiday.

I bought the Gatwick Flyaway tickets and it cost £40 per adult and £1 per child.

I think the only thing that concerned me at the time was not being able to keep a watch on our luggage.
Old 20 Jan 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
pchivvy
VIP Dibber

pchivvy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Have you considered National Express instead? We live in Newport and have taken the coach as we didn't fancy the change at Reading and it was reasonably priced and very easy for us.

2017- Eeyores Escape
2013 and 2014- Hampton Lakes
2012-8 nights AKL, 7 BWV
2011- Disneys Port Orleans Riverside
2004-2010- Various Villas, RPR
2002- All Star Movies, Clearwater
2001- Holiday Inn
2000- All Star Movies
pchivvy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
parkgirl
VIP Dibber

parkgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 14
Originally Posted by welshmum View Post
We would have done the Newport - Gatwick train (stopping in reading) in 2016 but had to cancel our holiday.

I bought the Gatwick Flyaway tickets and it cost £40 per adult and £1 per child.

I think the only thing that concerned me at the time was not being able to keep a watch on our luggage.
I tweeted GWR last week and they said they no longer do the Gatwick Flyaway tickets ☹️

I have done the journey a few times with my old work - it’s ok (although the Reading Gatwick part is a commuter train and can get busy so watch out for times of travel) The national distress is awful from Swansea - 2 hours and you are still in Wales!
CSR October 2011, POFQ May 2012, POP July 2012, SSR April 2013, OKW Oct 2014, OKW July 2016, All Stars Music April 2017, OKW/BLT July 2018, All Stars Sports Oct 2019, Riviera May 2022, GFR/AKL Oct 2022, Disney 5K Riviera/copper creek 2024, SSR Aug 2024

Edited at 08:07 PM.
parkgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
welshmum
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by parkgirl View Post
I tweeted GWR last week and they said they no longer do the Gatwick Flyaway tickets ☹️

I have done the journey a few times with my old work - it’s ok (although the Reading Gatwick part is a commuter train and can get busy so watch out for times of travel) The national distress is awful from Swansea - 2 hours and you are still in Wales!
Ah really? I didn't realise this. Its not broadly advertised, we had to purchase directly in the train station so maybe double check just incase.
Old 21 Jan 19, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I did train from Devon to gatwick, changed at reading. I requested a seat near luggage rack when I booked but it doesn't guarantee a space on the rack! There is space above seats for smaller bags.at least to reading, from there it is a smaller train

However you are likely to be travelling in an afternoon so against the flow of commuters and coming back too.

Check around for deals, railcards, groupsave etc. Perhaps buy single tickets rather than returns (this was cheaper for me) use split my ticket can also save
Old 21 Jan 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Hil
VIP Dibber

We’ve done this in the past, but not for a couple of years now, so things may have changed!

For us, the positives of the train were probably outweighed by the negatives, but we did it more than once, so it couldn’t have been that bad!

Firstly, there’s the trip to get from home to the station, then there’s the concern about keeping an eye on the luggage once you’re on board. From then on, the trip to Reading is ok, but the smaller train from Reading to Gatwick can be tricky to find space for your cases, which always seems odd for a train going to an airport.

We’ve also tried the national express, and that works better as its straight through, and there’s less concern about security of luggage, but it does take a while!

Still hoping we’ll find a perfect way of getting there and back one day
Hil is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List