Notices

Old 25 May 17, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

EUROCAMP: A Long Weekend On The French Atlantic Coast - Day 2 Surfing And Sun

I woke up early - about 5.30am. It had at least cooled down over night but it wasn't to last!

I caught up on the news and eventually F and J woke up at 7.30am! I had a quick shower before heading to the spar for some chocolatines for breakfast.

You can see from here how close the mobile homes are...

While everyone was faffing I went to reception to check in. This was about an 8 minute walk. The receptionist said she couldn't give me the wrist bands for the others and we would need to queue up again. After some sweet talking 3 more wristbands were discretely procured
Just as well as when we went past at lunch time the queue was about 30 families!

J had booked a surf lesson for the kids and the rental of a surf canoe for him.

There were 3 kids for the surf lesson - the other being an English child who the kids had to translate for. He was extremely polite.

We knew from experience that surfing causes F's blood sugar to plummet so we had both cut her insulin and given her more breakfast. However, she still suffered a long hypo which took a while and a lot of resugaring to get rid of!

Both kids enjoyed the lesson but admitted they were just as happy on a body board!

J struggled because of his injured rib - so it was decided that one day would be enough!

We went back to the mobile home to get changed and headed out to the bar area.

We ordered a panini, a cheese pizza, a cheese sandwich and some fries and drinks - 30 euros. We were not that impressed!

After lunch J had a nap while I took the kids to the pool.

I found a lounger in the shade while they did the rounds.

The slides were fun - the one on the right was very fast.

The pools were fairly cool but in view of the fact the temperature was in the mid 30s that was appreciated.

F had another mild hypo (again we had overfed and under insulined!) so a nutella crepe was had!

A nap may have been had before we headed out to finish some cash - not an easy job! We also picked up some pasta in the spar for dinner.

After dinner we headed back to the beach.

The kids and J spent an hour body boarding! I read my kindle!

The kids then decided they would cover each other with sand!

And go rolling down the hill on the beach!

The sun started setting. We decided to head back as everyone was tired. It is about a 10 minute walk to the beach over the sand dunes - do up and down hill both ways

Showers were had to try to cool down.

Do far no tent behind us so a lovely view through the trees!

Only 17398 steps - about 12km! No wonder I am tired!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 25 May 17 10:47 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
This looks fabulous! We have often thought about doing this as hubby gets free rail travel from U.K. Then throughout France but I have zero French, and I do mean zero, so only got so far reasearching it last time. I think my kids would love it though so might have another look.

Fab report - thanks!

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

The beach looks fab as does the pool. Your night-time photo through the trees is lovely.
Old 26 May 17, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
My kids are 28 and 25. Over the years they've had 7 Orlando holidays, a mega trip from New York to La via Grand Canyon, lv and San Diego but if you ask either of them which was their favourite holiday, they both say the French caravan ones. Lots of time on beaches, cycling, bodyboarding and playing cards at night after a BBQ!

Your photo report has brought back lots of lovely memories -thank you!

Just edited as I've gone and read your travel day. Le Vieux Port was one of the ones that we stayed at!

May tomorrow be a perfect day - may you find love and laughter along the way...

Edited at 09:03 AM.
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A lovely day we spent many summers in caravans in France in the 1980's we all loved the holidays

Joan
Old 26 May 17, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post

looks great

what was the surf like ? ? 2 - 3 - 4 ft waves ? ? ?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 17, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scottishnellie View Post
This looks fabulous! We have often thought about doing this as hubby gets free rail travel from U.K. Then throughout France but I have zero French, and I do mean zero, so only got so far reasearching it last time. I think my kids would love it though so might have another look.

Fab report - thanks!
Thank you! The Eurocamp staff are British/Irish and on reception they spoke English too I think (they had the Union Jack on their badges )

There was lots of evening entertainment and kids' club (the staff came round with their mascot at one stage and started their spiel - we told them laughingly that thye needn't go on as my two no longer do kids' clubs - a reaction to the French way of summercamps!

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
The beach looks fab as does the pool. Your night-time photo through the trees is lovely.
Thanks Jackie - we were lucky that we had no-one behind us so had those trees in full view every night!

Originally Posted by Cyclospora View Post
My kids are 28 and 25. Over the years they've had 7 Orlando holidays, a mega trip from New York to La via Grand Canyon, lv and San Diego but if you ask either of them which was their favourite holiday, they both say the French caravan ones. Lots of time on beaches, cycling, bodyboarding and playing cards at night after a BBQ!

Your photo report has brought back lots of lovely memories -thank you!

Just edited as I've gone and read your travel day. Le Vieux Port was one of the ones that we stayed at!
Happy to hear that I have brought back happy memories!

It is funny how memories are made! Whilst we love travelling I think if you have family time it will be a hit! I know for my lot that if water is involved my two are happy!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A lovely day we spent many summers in caravans in France in the 1980's we all loved the holidays

Joan
Me too Joan - we had a touring van and I have such good memories of those holidays!

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
looks great

what was the surf like ? ? 2 - 3 - 4 ft waves ? ? ?
The surf was good most of the time! Not sure how high they were but the surfers seemed happy!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 17, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
when our kids were young we spent every holiday almost in France in tents, in those days we couldn't afford a mobile home! had some brill holidays
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 17, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney owl View Post
when our kids were young we spent every holiday almost in France in tents, in those days we couldn't afford a mobile home! had some brill holidays
I remember our (touring) caravan holidays from when I was a kid - I used to get thrown in the awning as the youngest

Index of my trip reports