Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Mar 21, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
How my mind runs

I was just reading a thread about someone who wanted to go to the US for around 6 months. That led to mind wondering about the trips we had planned for last year.

We had 2 trips planned - 1 on the West Coast and one on the East for last year. We have a free worldwide flight courtesy of Virgin Atlantic so here goes:

Fly to Seattle then venture to Vancouver may be
Not sure if to fly to SF or leisurely drive taking in the sites along the way.
Take in Napa Valley, Yosemite, Monterey, Moonstone Beach, visit with family for a few days in LA, San Diego and Palm Springs

not sure of the middle bit on how to get from Palm Springs to East Coast and what to do along the way. Do we split the journey 50/50 driving and flying?

On the East there would be Niagara, Bar Harbor, Boston maybe, not sure about New York, Washington DC then we will need a rest in Florida before flying back from Miami.

DH says he is game for this - we have done West and East but nothing in between. What do you think? Is it doable?

We dont need to worry about work as we are both retired and in good health - how long will we need? Will will be able to get travel insurance? for a long trip?

So many ?s
Old 2 Mar 21, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Your idea sounds great to me. Everything and anything is possible with the time, the inclination and the money.

My only concern would be that it would feel very pressurised if time was somewhat limited hence I would plan for at least 8+ weeks minimum or split it in to two separate vacations.

I look back to 1976, 77 and 79 when I just hopped on a plane, hired a car in Manhattan and disappeared off the face of the World in America for 4 weeks at a time. Nobody knew where I was and I had a ball. Some intense planning beforehand and I saw loads.

Happy planning.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 10:29 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Your idea sounds great to me. Everything and anything is possible with the time, the inclination and the money.

My only concern would be that it would feel very pressurised if time was somewhat limited hence I would plan for at least 8+ weeks minimum or split it in to two separate vacations.

Happy planning.
Our heads hurt now. Think we might revisit our plans that we had for last year. One holiday in May/June and then Sept/October, returning in between for the UK summer - although him in doors did throw Hawaii into the mix!
Old 3 Mar 21, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

I look back to 1976, 77 and 79 when I just hopped on a plane, hired a car in Manhattan and disappeared off the face of the World in America for 4 weeks at a time. Nobody knew where I was and I had a ball. Some intense planning beforehand and I saw loads.

Happy planning.
Would love a trip summary from those times Mr Tom. Something I'd love to do (apart from maybe driving out of Manhattan).
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Me alongside my 1976 rental car!

Look at the size of the doors!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by AlexE View Post
I was just reading a thread about someone who wanted to go to the US for around 6 months. That led to mind wondering about the trips we had planned for last year.

We had 2 trips planned - 1 on the West Coast and one on the East for last year. We have a free worldwide flight courtesy of Virgin Atlantic so here goes:

Fly to Seattle then venture to Vancouver may be
Not sure if to fly to SF or leisurely drive taking in the sites along the way.
Take in Napa Valley, Yosemite, Monterey, Moonstone Beach, visit with family for a few days in LA, San Diego and Palm Springs

not sure of the middle bit on how to get from Palm Springs to East Coast and what to do along the way. Do we split the journey 50/50 driving and flying?

On the East there would be Niagara, Bar Harbor, Boston maybe, not sure about New York, Washington DC then we will need a rest in Florida before flying back from Miami.

DH says he is game for this - we have done West and East but nothing in between. What do you think? Is it doable?

We dont need to worry about work as we are both retired and in good health - how long will we need? Will will be able to get travel insurance? for a long trip?

So many ?s
This would be my perfect holiday!
For me after driving down the West Coast from Seattle to Palm Springs I would head over to Utah via the Grand Canyon North Rim to do the Mighty 5 NP in Utah, then up to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, down to Colorado for the Rockies, down to Texas, across to Louisiana to NOLA, up through Arkansas and Missouri to The Ozarks, up again to the Great Lakes and Chicago, then across to Niagara before making your way down the East Coast to Florida

No idea how long you would need but I should imagine at least 12 weeks! PLEASE do a trip report if you go ahead with any of it, sounds fantastic

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 21, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
This would be my perfect holiday!

No idea how long you would need but I should imagine at least 12 weeks! PLEASE do a trip report if you go ahead with any of it, sounds fantastic
You did read the bit which said we are retired.

I have got a planning sheet with scribbles on the go. Just a bit sad that this time last year we were in Naples Florida just before everything kicked off - managed to get the last flight out of Miami. We are so missing the sunshine but have thoughts for next year.

Ive just read your West Coast trip report - brings back so many memories.
Old 5 Mar 21, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Celica190
Imagineer

I intend to do something like this when we are both retired. I always feel that we have to cut short our time in a place or spend every day rushing about trying to see everything we want to. It would be nice to have time to just watch the world go by. DH is retiring at the end of this month but I have at least 2 years to go, failing a lottery win or unexpected inheritance

1996 Days Inn Universal 1999, 2003 & 2005 Quality Inn International 2007 and 2011 Bahama Bay Resort
Celica190 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 21, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Happy planning.
Of course they were all planned without the benefit of the internet! We planned out various trips in the 90’s using library books, brochures and travel books. When I look back now I wonder how we did it! 😀

Edited at 11:54 PM.
Mqt is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

My husband wants to do a road trip Alaska to San Diego. He’s planning 8 weeks. Not sure when he’s going to fit it in as I have our hols planned to end of 2024.
dizzymcfarlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List