Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Feb 21, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Mikeandrach
Getting Excited

Spending money

Hi, we are planning to go for 4 weeks in July 2022 as soon as the kids break up from school and return mid august.

Well be flying into Miami, spending a night there then driving up to our Villa for 22 nights, followed by 5 nights in the keys before flying home.

Assuming all parks are paid for, for food/drink/fuel/souvenirs etc how much would you suggest for spending money?

In the parks we won’t bother with sit down meals, just a couple of quick service snacks, and will take our own water bottle etc

On non park days we’ll maybe eat out 1/2 nights per week but mostly takeaways to the villa or grab a drive thru etc

Would £10k be enough realistically? Too much? Nowhere near enough?
Mikeandrach is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Hi, We've never gone for that long but I reckon thats more than enough. I think the suggestion was always $50pp per day for food so even with wiggle room, that leaves loads left over. I wouldn't be converting that much to be honest. I use revolut so I'd change over maybe half then have the rest sitting put aside and just change if needed. Remember the limits for tax purposes for your shopping etc. too and either stick to it or keep enough to pay the extra tax (I can't remember exactly what the limits are etc. but I'm sure someone will be along soon who will know more).
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mikeandrach View Post
Hi, we are planning to go for 4 weeks in July 2022 as soon as the kids break up from school and return mid august.

Well be flying into Miami, spending a night there then driving up to our Villa for 22 nights, followed by 5 nights in the keys before flying home.

Assuming all parks are paid for, for food/drink/fuel/souvenirs etc how much would you suggest for spending money?

In the parks we won’t bother with sit down meals, just a couple of quick service snacks, and will take our own water bottle etc

On non park days we’ll maybe eat out 1/2 nights per week but mostly takeaways to the villa or grab a drive thru etc

We usually go for around 4 weeks in the summer, last time we had 6 days DDP and the rest in a villa. We maybe eat out every other day (nothing too fancy though) and I would say we don't spend more than £3-4K - maybe a bit more if I'm buying trainers etc.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hi,

We go for about 28 nights each time and if it cost that much we couldn’t do it!

With everything and I mean everything it’s $4k max and sometimes nearer $3k, when you do for that long you tend to live like you do at home and wouldn’t spend like that at home!
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Plonks
Trainee Dibber

Plonks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

It really depends how old the children are, the older they are the more you spend at the shops 😀 and how often you choose to eat out. Children’s meal are cheaper, if we dined out we budgeted around $20 each so around $100 for a meal. $200 -$250 a day should be fine just depends.

Paul
Plonks is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Mikeandrach
Getting Excited

Hi everyone thanks for the replies, the kids will be 10 and 6

They will want the odd souvenir etc obviously but are quite sensible and will not necessarily expect them at the parks, knowing we can get the same cheaper outside.

I’m reassured by the responses so far, I was thinking my 10k may be unrealistically low!

I am not going to say no to ice creams etc at all, so if they want 4-5 a day they’ll get 4-5 a day, I don’t drink and my wife will only want the odd wine bottle, we’ll do a huge shop on day 1 and fill the fridge/freezer up

I am sure there’ll be unexpected costs but hopefully nothing horrendous
Mikeandrach is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 21, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I think you will find that is more than enough. Try to get a list what they may like to buy as a souvenir and don't buy too early ( unless it is on a must have list)

The outlet shops have some great deals at times and the supermarkets have some nice items too.

As you are in a villa food costs will be much lower, have breakfast before going to the parks and take bottled water and squash ( or ask for free water)

The portion sizes are large so some snacks can be shared like a dole whip.
Old 28 Feb 21, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
stink08
Very Serious Dibber

I used to always have different envelopes for food, fuel, parking, and spends, we always manage perfectly fine on $30 a day per adult and $20 a child to cover food, always had some left, used to work out parking money before we went so roughly $25 a day for park days, $50 a week for fuel, you will probably need more as travelling a lot more, plus we would each have $500 to spend on what we wanted, I used to get the kids 1 ice cream a day from food money, if they wanted more it would come from their spends, def helps to break it all down, and we always had money left over to blow on last couple of days
Old 28 Feb 21, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
stink08
Very Serious Dibber

Also use kids eat free cards, sign up for Landry card, look out for discounts for places like cicis pizza, can get some great bargains at the outlets and get voucher books for there aswell
Old 28 Feb 21, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Hi everyone thanks for the replies, the kids will be 10 and 6

They will want the odd souvenir etc obviously but are quite sensible and will not necessarily expect them at the parks, knowing we can get the same cheaper outside.

I’m reassured by the responses so far, I was thinking my 10k may be unrealistically low!

I am not going to say no to ice creams etc at all, so if they want 4-5 a day they’ll get 4-5 a day, I don’t drink and my wife will only want the odd wine bottle, we’ll do a huge shop on day 1 and fill the fridge/freezer up

I am sure there’ll be unexpected costs but hopefully nothing horrendous
A gallon of icecream in walmart is around $2-3 dollars, so they could have 10 a day and it would still only cost you a few quid! If it was me, I'd spend the £3k and save £7k which would pay for next years holiday...
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List