Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Mar 21, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Ours will often sit near us but just out of reach.
When I'm ill one of them will normally sit next to me, occasionally when the kids have gone to bed I'll have one of them sat on my lap for a few minutes, but generally they aren't interested in sitting on my lap. Miserable gits. I'm hoping they'll get nicer as they get older. Problem with cats, you never know quite how they're going to turn out.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 21, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
raven45678
Helping Minnie

We have three cats and they are all different. One likes cuddles and being picked up, follows us around the house, likes sitting on us. She is blind so likes the reassurance. Another cat likes tummy rubs, will sit on us occasionally, but hates to be picked up - it's ok for about three seconds then she is off again. Fitz, our boy, only rarely sits on our laps but likes to sit near us and doesn't mind being picked up for a cuddle. Our two sighted cats are brother and sister (abandoned in a box by the side of a road) so have had the same start in life, but just have different preferences. I guess there isn't a lot you can do about it...
raven45678 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 21, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Sometimes there is nothing you can do! We took on some rescue kittens and their mum a number of years ago. We tried absolutely everything to get them to be very friendly lap cats. We followed advice from experts, read various books on the subject and nothing worked. They were always very aloof and still are, mostly. We still try now! They’ve improved a bit with age and will sometimes choose to sit close to you on the sofa for a little while.

We also have a young cat we rescued as a kitten from Corfu last year. She’s much friendlier and doesn’t mind being picked up and will sit on laps. We’ve not done anything different with her.

Edited at 02:53 PM.
Mqt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 21, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
lovestoplan
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Disney Bear View Post
Hmm maybe we should swap- we have a rescue cat and we were told he likes attention but he’s not a lap cat. Well how do we get him off our laps then? - we have to work with him on our laps and at night he wants to sleep on my head! 😻
That's exactly like all our other cats but Smudge just won't have it but it's that snugglyness I miss.. although sometimes at the time it can be quite inconvenient!
lovestoplan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 21, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
lovestoplan
slightly serious Dibber

Thank you everyone...I will live in hope but as everyone seems to agree it's not something you can do or not do- it's just how they are. I keep saying he's our only non rescue and he doesn't know how lucky he is...a stint in kitty jail might teach him what side his bread is buttered! We must have just touched lucky in the past with our other guys loving cuddles. They do say that you are just a cat servant and that appears to be the case. Oh must go he's standing waiting for me to open the living room door so he can take himself up for a little nap! 🤣
lovestoplan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 21, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lovestoplan View Post
Thank you everyone...I will live in hope but as everyone seems to agree it's not something you can do or not do- it's just how they are. I keep saying he's our only non rescue and he doesn't know how lucky he is...a stint in kitty jail might teach him what side his bread is buttered! We must have just touched lucky in the past with our other guys loving cuddles. They do say that you are just a cat servant and that appears to be the case. Oh must go he's standing waiting for me to open the living room door so he can take himself up for a little nap! 🤣
As they say; dogs have owners, cats have slaves 🐾🐾
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
PerksP
Imagineer

We have two rescues and neither will sit on our laps. They both absolutely love attention and demand to play chase around the house with us. They are always with me in the office during the day and out with us when we are in the garden.

The male will sit and demand attention to the point that if we ignore him he will tap our arms or faces with his paw. If we continue to ignore him (early mornings!) he will put just one claw out and tap us with that. It is too funny to be cross

The female demands attention and loves to be stroked and will sit on the back of the sofa next to me. She will stand on my lap for a few seconds to let me know she is there but won't sit down.

I wish i could tell you they will change but we have had these two for 4 years now.
PerksP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

He's not a ragdoll is he Perks?
Ours are both rescues and the Ragdoll does exactly that, neither like being picked up and it's taken four years and another traumatic experience for our little girl cat to even lie by us but she is getting better
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
PerksP
Imagineer

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
He's not a ragdoll is he Perks?
No, just a good old fashioned tabby. I think he is just so pleased to have a home he can't wait for us to wake up! How funny that yours does the same
PerksP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List