Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 10 Aug 18, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Katy2605
Looking for my Ears

Disney Hotel - 3 year old

Hi everyone!

So we are looking into planning our first Disney holiday since having my little boy (been 5 times previously) and I am already ridiculously excited. We are planning on going March 2020 just before my little one turns 3. We are keen to stay onsite for the first time and wondered if anyone could recommend the best hotel for a toddler?

Budget wise will be dependent on whether they decide to offer Disney dining or not so just looking for any recommendations or first-hand-experience of staying onsite with a nearly 3 year old.

Thank you
Katy
Katy2605 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Art of Animation is great for the theming, but it's a big resort with very little shade or landscaping. We've visited a couple of times and the outside areas always felt so hot with all the heat radiating from the concrete.

I always recommend Port Orleans French Quarter for little legs as it's the smallest resort, but really lovely. Very pretty with lots of green areas. They have a great water splash play area at the pool for little ones too and the main pool has gently stepped entry.

The boat to Disney Springs is also a plus and a nice relaxed way to travel. It's a lovely 10 minute stroll along the river to its sister resort, Port Orleans Riverside. You can use all the facilities there too, including the pools, but the one at French Quarter is better for little ones IMO.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019

Edited at 02:13 PM. Reason: To correct zero entry mistake
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Nanny
Imagineer

I agree with POFQ as have stayed there with a 23 month grandson. but I don't remember it being zero entry? Maybe the pool at POR is zero entry?
Disney Nanny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

Best moderate Port Orleans French Quarter. Great pool and small resort. Boat ride to Disney Springs and Riverside
If funds allow two great luxury hotels for a toddler are
Animal Kingdom Lodge. Great theming and animals and fantastic pool with lots of quiet shady areas.
Wilderness Lodge short boat ride to Magic Kingdom
Whatever you choose you will love being in the Disney bubble
I think first you need to work out budget and then draw up a short list according to affordability.
Just a thought but if you went before your child is three you would not need a park ticket and am guessing a 3 years old ticket is going to cost you about £400 or more in 2020. Quite a large amount.
Happy hunting
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Disney Nanny View Post
I agree with POFQ as have stayed there with a 23 month grandson. but I don't remember it being zero entry? Maybe the pool at POR is zero entry?
Sorry, my mistake. Just checked on portorleans.org and it has gently stepped entry rather than zero entry. Not stayed there since 2012, so can't recall it exactly.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve stayed at WL, OKW, Poly, POR and Kidani with our toddlers. (Now 2 & 4). Out of the deluxes we really like Kidani. For a few reasons:

1. The splash area is so so good for little ones. It’s shallow and fun with a water playground with slides. Plus the main pool is zero entry and has a kid friendly slide. And they put Animal pool toys in which I love. It’s quiet too, often we are the only ones there.

2. Also it’s an easy stroll to Jambo where they have a wonderful playground.

3. The Animals! Kids love animals.

3. The underground parking. I can’t tell you how fab that is! No hot car seats and if it’s raining nice and dry. I love it.

Downside is counter service is rubbish! But there’s Jambo nearby and a MacDonald’s.

Poly is my second choice due to easy transport, splash area and big rooms. But tbh they’re all great second choices.
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Licoricelover View Post
Best moderate Port Orleans French Quarter. Great pool and small resort. Boat ride to Disney Springs and Riverside
If funds allow two great luxury hotels for a toddler are
Animal Kingdom Lodge. Great theming and animals and fantastic pool with lots of quiet shady areas.
Wilderness Lodge short boat ride to Magic Kingdom
Whatever you choose you will love being in the Disney bubble
I think first you need to work out budget and then draw up a short list according to affordability.
Just a thought but if you went before your child is three you would not need a park ticket and am guessing a 3 years old ticket is going to cost you about £400 or more in 2020. Quite a large amount.
Happy hunting
The OP did say in her post that their going just before their child turns 3.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Eden
Very Serious Dibber

We stayed at POR last year with our almost 3 year old, we used the pools at POR AND POFQ (which has the water play area) but neither are Zero entry
That’s one of the main reasons for us choosing to go for CBR next April
It has a water play area and Zero entry pool
Also we have done both DDP and QSDP and would choose the QSDP with younger children for definite
2019 - Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
2024 - Clearwater/Orlando/Cheerleading Competition!
Eden is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’d say POFQ. There isn’t a quiet pool but there is a great splash play area and their (main) pool is quite small compared to some. Ideal for younger children. It’s also a very small resort for little legs or a parent carrying a dead weight off the bus! Rooms plenty big enough for three. Only one bus stop. Boat to Disney Springs. Possibility of free QS dining which is probably better than full dining with a toddler unless you wanted a lot of character meals. If you wanted to go deluxe I’d say AKL as the animals would be really fun. There are lots of places to view them without a savannah view room. It also has an okay food court for a deluxe resort. You can also use the pool at Kidani but more importantly there is a big splash play area there. I can’t comment from experience on the value resorts sorry. However. If you’re looking at those I’d say Art of Animation has the best themed rooms.
Old 11 Aug 18, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Katy2605
Looking for my Ears

Thank you so much for all the comprehensive replies and taking the time to give lots of detail. Really appreciated as this is an area which is very new for me. Seems like the consensus seems to be that PQFQ for a moderate and AKL/Kidani for a deluxe. Both of these did come up when discussing with my mum (who is also a massive Disney fan/planner) so we are going to look into both of these. We are currently number crunching to look at the budget/looking into checking-in just before my son turns 3 (and the pros/cons of this) . We will also be travelling with my parents, sister and her boyfriend so lots to think about! I just know that this trip is going to be very different to our pre-children trips but I am beyond excited to be planning and will be using the Dibb expertise to gain all tips on visiting Orlando with young children
Katy2605 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List