Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 5 Jan 21, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Who ever it will be they need to stop all the PC nonsense and just write good storylines.
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
I don’t do films or anything that is a series
So actually have never heard of most of the names mentioned - sorry

But if I watched something like Dr Who I would want an unknown

To me if I watched Dr Who and saw John Bishop , I would be thinking ‘ what the hell I he doing in this , because I would recognise him as John Bishop

It would spoil the ‘ make believe ‘ if that makes sense ?
I get that - but many Doctors were famous faces before they played the role. I think I would get used to it.

I just want better scripts that feel like they are addressing adults.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Who ever it will be they need to stop all the PC nonsense and just write good storylines.
Or rename it as Dr Woke ?
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzy1
Excited about Disney

Michael Sheen - give him some decent material to work with though. The main thing they need to do is get rid of Chris Chibnall and bring in some writers who have proven themselves on Doctor Who in the past.
dizzy1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Don’t watch it but how about Mark Strong? He may be too busy doing Covid government ads though.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Or rename it as Dr Woke ?
I don’t have a problem with them including themes that some regard as ‘PC’ or ‘woke’ - let’s face it, in recent years they have included inter-racial relationships (in a way that seems radical at least to some in the US, sadly), issues of sexuality (lovely Captain Jack for a start) and themes of conservation, equality etc. But it felt like the viewers were being included in the conversation and treated as adults - not preached at and treated like children.

This has everything to do with employing good writers and nothing to do with some supposed ‘agenda’.

I don’t care if the next Doctor is male, female or looks like Baby Yoda. I care that they are given decent scripts and a chance to engage the audience again.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
“ But it felt like the viewers were being included in the conversation and treated as adults - not preached at and treated like children.”
Bang on the money!

It’s the preaching I object to as well.

As for mixed heritage relationships - yes acknowledge they exist (because they do), however, if you looked at current advertisements on tv you could believe they are the majority - which they aren’t ...why do they portray this in this fashion ?

You have captured it perfectly ... by all means acknowledge things, just don’t preach to us ... vicar of Dibley take note!

Thank you for your post.

Edited at 02:15 PM.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I don’t have a problem with them including themes that some regard as ‘PC’ or ‘woke’ - let’s face it, in recent years they have included inter-racial relationships (in a way that seems radical at least to some in the US, sadly), issues of sexuality (lovely Captain Jack for a start) and themes of conservation, equality etc. But it felt like the viewers were being included in the conversation and treated as adults - not preached at and treated like children.

This has everything to do with employing good writers and nothing to do with some supposed ‘agenda’.

I don’t care if the next Doctor is male, female or looks like Baby Yoda. I care that they are given decent scripts and a chance to engage the audience again.
Good sci-fi has always addressed current issues and (in a way) had an 'agenda'. As you say, these issues were written into the show to be less obtrusive and more 'subtle'. In the current Who, these issues are more in-your-face. It's a fault in the writing, not in the message.

Having said that, I don't think the problem is as bad as some people seem to make it. I do feel that social media just likes to moan. They moaned about RTD, they moaned about Moffat, and now they're moaning about Chibnall. Different complaints and probably different people moaning, but there's always something some people aren't happy with and they like to make their opinions known.

Anyway, now I'm digressing from the point of this thread...

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I just hope its not so preachy next season, I hate the "woke" culture

I like it when they are quirky and odd so am hoping for that
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Ah, come on. Join in the discussion as to who you'd like to see as the Doctor (good scripts or not). It won't make a jot of difference - I assume the folk who produce Dr Who don't read the DIBB - but it's harmless fun.

I've already stated that I thought Richard Ayoade would be interesting. I'd also suggest Dan Stevens. Adrian Lester would be a good shout. How about Andy Serkis?

Or what about Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Jodie Comer, or Olivia Colman?

Although I do like the idea of getting a relatively unknown actor to take the part. I thought Matt Smith did an excellent job - in hindsight I might have liked him more than Tennant - and he wasn't famous beforehand.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List