Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Nov 18, 03:04 AM  
Link to this Post
adreamisawish
Excited about Disney

Mobile Uh Oh

Today I have somehow snapped my tibia and fibula, and dislocated my knee in one quick innocuous movement.

Currently lying in bed with the prospect of surgery in the morning, six weeks off work and six months of recovery ahead of me.

Luckily my holiday isn’t until mid September so I’m hoping, with no complications, I’ll be fully healed and MORE THAN READY for a holiday.

Me and my friend feel cursed. This is the second attempt we’ve made to do this trip to Disney. The first one failed when he, aged 22, was diagnosed with Lymphoma and so the holiday had to be cancelled.

Now he’s in the clear, we booked again and now it’s my turn to put the trip in doubt.

Anyone else suffered similar injuries in the past and can let me know of any long term effects they’ve experienced?
Old 11 Nov 18, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

OMG 😮 this sounds horrendous. I have no experience, but I wish you all the best for a quick recovery
Old 11 Nov 18, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Oh no! September is a long way off so I wouldn’t write off your holiday just yet. I think after your recovery you will be ready to celebrate.
Hope it all goes well tomorrow
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Gusgusmummy
Imagineer

Gusgusmummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by adreamisawish View Post
Today I have somehow snapped my tibia and fibula, and dislocated my knee in one quick innocuous movement.

Currently lying in bed with the prospect of surgery in the morning, six weeks off work and six months of recovery ahead of me.

Luckily my holiday isn’t until mid September so I’m hoping, with no complications, I’ll be fully healed and MORE THAN READY for a holiday.

Me and my friend feel cursed. This is the second attempt we’ve made to do this trip to Disney. The first one failed when he, aged 22, was diagnosed with Lymphoma and so the holiday had to be cancelled.

Now he’s in the clear, we booked again and now it’s my turn to put the trip in doubt.

Anyone else suffered similar injuries in the past and can let me know of any long term effects they’ve experienced?
Have they spoken to you about how they will fix it ? For a tib fib fracture they sometimes put on an external cage to hold the bones back in place. It all of course depends on the extent of the fracture. I’m so sorry you must be so sore. Also so sorry this happened at all but the fact it happened now 😢
Gusgusmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Gusgusmummy
Imagineer

Gusgusmummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I should have said hopefully by September it should be fully healed. Good luck please let us know how you get on
Gusgusmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post

Wowsers - a lot of damage for an innocuous movement. I will be staying away from them !

Hope all goes well for today and you have as pain free, quick, and full a recovery as possible. As others have said, should be fine for holiday next year. There is a slight upside to the weeks off work - more time to plan !

Edited at 09:21 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Oh noooo really feel for you as it’s not a nice injury. I had a freak bathroom injury around 28 years ago resulting in a spiral fracture of the tib and fib (ankle up to just below the knee), recovery was the hardest bit, traction followed by 12 months in different lengths of plaster cast (various reasons they had to let it heal by itself and not pin/plate) but it did heal and I’ve suffered no long term effects.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Good grief! You haven't done things by halves have you? 😱 the important thing is that you WILL heal and recover and brilliant news about your friend too 👌
My DH decided to break his shoulder about 4 months before going to Everest base camp...but thankfully he was cleared as okay to travel and he even managed with the altitude, so try not to worry too much - you will both appreciate the holiday even more now! Good luck with the recovery
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
Good grief! You haven't done things by halves have you? 😱 the important thing is that you WILL heal and recover and brilliant news about your friend too 👌
My DH decided to break his shoulder about 4 months before going to Everest base camp...but thankfully he was cleared as okay to travel and he even managed with the altitude, so try not to worry too much - you will both appreciate the holiday even more now! Good luck with the recovery
This completely hope you recover quickly xxx
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
adreamisawish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gusgusmummy View Post
Have they spoken to you about how they will fix it ? For a tib fib fracture they sometimes put on an external cage to hold the bones back in place. It all of course depends on the extent of the fracture. I’m so sorry you must be so sore. Also so sorry this happened at all but the fact it happened now 😢
Unfortunately it wasn’t a clean straight break and I’m just lucky it’s not snapped through my skin.

Surgery at one where they hope to put the bones back together and put a pin in there to secure.

Been quoted a recovery time of six months.

Luckily, due to the horrendous way we had to cancel last year, I insisted on travel insurance all being in place before anything was booked. Not considering a cancellation though, but I’ve booked with ATD and not booked flights yet so should be easy enough to push my dates back if necessary.