Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Nov 19, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Car in body shop. How long is reasonable?

On 5th October my car was hit in a car park see damage below). I called RAC and was put through to an accident management company. My car was collected on the Monday and taken to a garage about 40 minutes away. I still haven’t got it back. I phone every day and I’ve been told they had trouble matching the colour, the new wing came in faulty and today they said they have three parts on back order. Is five weeks unreasonable? I’m at a loss as to know what to do next. I just want my car back! I told the accident management company, today, that I was calling my insurance company and getting them to take over the matter. She advised against it and said the insurance company wouldn’t take it on. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Old 11 Nov 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandobaby
Imagineer

orlandobaby's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Did your car go to a Mazda approved garage?

If it did, they shouldn’t really have a problem matching the paint.

All repairs that require new parts are subject to the parts availability so I would think this would be the main delay.

If you are not in a courtesy car than you should push to ask what the delays are. If you are then I wouldn’t worry too much about how long it’s taking.

Orlando Sep 2000,Nov 01,June 04,June 05,Sep 05,Sep 06,Oct 08&13,Oct 14,Oct 15,Apr 18,Sept 19,Sept 22
LA and Las Vegas May 2010, San Fran, Las Vegas, LA May 2013
orlandobaby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Originally Posted by orlandobaby View Post
Did your car go to a Mazda approved garage?

If it did, they shouldn’t really have a problem matching the paint.

All repairs that require new parts are subject to the parts availability so I would think this would be the main delay.

If you are not in a courtesy car than you should push to ask what the delays are. If you are then I wouldn’t worry too much about how long it’s taking.
No, it’s not at a Mazda garage. It’s at one of the network of garages the accident management company use. The car they provided is a Fiat 500 so not at all equivalent of my car. I asked them to change it after a couple of weeks but they said mine should be ready soon so could I persevere. I get a car allowance at work and my MD is giving me a hard time because he said I should be in a car “befitting my position” (to be fair, that’s in my contract) and he doesn’t consider it is. I’m worried he’ll stop my car allowance until I get mine back but I’m still making loan repayments on it.
Old 11 Nov 19, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandobaby
Imagineer

orlandobaby's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Normally the network repairers will try and repair vehicles quickly to get a quick turnaround. They are high volume garages so they must have had an issue somewhere.

I would speak to the accident management company and tell them you require a bigger car. Unfortunately they will not consider your circumstances unless you mention it to them. They do not also take into account loan payments being made on a car that you are not using.

Orlando Sep 2000,Nov 01,June 04,June 05,Sep 05,Sep 06,Oct 08&13,Oct 14,Oct 15,Apr 18,Sept 19,Sept 22
LA and Las Vegas May 2010, San Fran, Las Vegas, LA May 2013
orlandobaby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

My car took 4 weeks in August. I was originally told 5 days. Wasn't too upset as loved driving a brand new Mitsubishi 4x4 lease car paid by the other persons insurance. Was well done though when got it back.

Good luck. xx
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Mobile

I had similar damage to that at the start of the year; I was stationary and a guy in a range rover reversed into me The car took 4 weeks to be fixed. And as above, I was happy enough as I had a far superior car as a replacement! I would contact the accident management company and let them know if you need a bigger car...
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

To be honest I took my ford to a local ARC - it’s blooming yellow and they got the paint match and took 3 days - but it was door panels to beat the dent out.
I would demand a better curtesy car, a fiat 500 is not comparible to you car in the slightest and it’s company being cheap skates!
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 06:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

The same thing happened two years ago in another supermarket car park! So, this will be the second new wing and bumper I’ve had on it. That time it was only in for 4 days.
Old 12 Nov 19, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Unfortunately this is one reason your should use your insurer and not a claims management company. At the end of the day the more it costs the more they claim.

They also pass all of the risk on to you for any costs incurred that cannot be reclaimed. You also need to read the insurers t&C's about what using a non approves repairer limits their liability to. It maybe approved by the management company but not by the insurer.

It's a very lucrative business for the recovery companies which is entirely unnecessary as a consumer.

I would be speaking to my insurer asap to make sure they are aware of what is going on and get them pushing the management company as it is in their interests to stop them incurring additional costs.

Delays can happen for parts, especially those made abroad where it can take weeks to ship them across the globe.

Good luck in getting it back, I'm being a bit pessemistic on them but that's because they are vultures who are not needed, but hope they have done a good job first time around for you.

Edited at 08:14 AM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Unfortunately it’s not in the AMC’s interest to sort this out. I would phone your own insurers ... they have to be informed anyway. Try and get the details of the other party’s insurers and contact them . Tell them you are doing all you can to ‘mitigate your loss’ ie claim as little as reasonably possible but you are struggling with the AMC. Tell the AMC that this is what you are doing

The AMC will then be put on notice that they might not reclaim all their costs and i expect this will hurry them up
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List