Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 13 Aug 20, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Nice cameras. Essentially same photo image quality as G9, it’s like a stripped down slightly smaller G9.

Main disadvantage to me is it doesn’t have 4k60fps, just 30fps but that won’t bother many. It’s then got some of the G9 features stripped out. Some features are extremely good and high end (burst speeds, 8k photo etc) but it’s the case of if you didn’t know about them and used a camera with them, you wouldn’t notice.

Even full frame cameras costing 3 times the price don’t really beat these cameras for video- an advantage of the four thirds sensor with 4K video.

These cameras are about the best in market on image stabilisation- in body and in lens (if you buy a stabilised lens, kit lens usually is) on the G9 I can basically take handheld shots in almost the dark at low ISO. G9 has six stops of image stabilisation, the G90 has 5 I think. This essentially means the stabilisation on G9 is slightly better, but G90 is still better than 95% of cameras on the market.

Never used the camera shop you mention- have you looked at Amazon? If you buy direct from Amazon for high value stuff like this, Amazon often offer me 6 monthly payments at 0% interest automatically- may be account specific. I think I might as well avail myself of that.
I have looked at all the reviews & comparisons and really feel the G90 is probably the best option, the only single thing that is putting me off slightly is the reviews mention a 1.25 crop on 4k Videoing on the G90, i understand that means its not great with 'wide angle' video's (Having said that unless you have fairly unlimited funds you never get exactly what you want) but don't know enough to know what impact that may have on its general videoing abilities also i understand that means it doesn't have a 10 minute limit like a lot of its competitors, is it worth the trade off ? For example my DW does love to record a Disney parade, is this the kit to do it with

Paul
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by OutbackAddict View Post
I have looked at all the reviews & comparisons and really feel the G90 is probably the best option, the only single thing that is putting me off slightly is the reviews mention a 1.25 crop on 4k Videoing on the G90, i understand that means its not great with 'wide angle' video's (Having said that unless you have fairly unlimited funds you never get exactly what you want) but don't know enough to know what impact that may have on its general videoing abilities also i understand that means it doesn't have a 10 minute limit like a lot of its competitors, is it worth the trade off ? For example my DW does love to record a Disney parade, is this the kit to do it with
I wouldn’t worry about a time limit so much. You could hack the G9 until firmware 2 but can’t on firmware 2 but I’ve never even noticed a limit given my hack has now gone - it’s on a 10 minute limit on 4k60fps only now (it’s just to differentiate it from G5) but believe me, the files are huge at 10 mins and would be unworkable much longer so naturally anyway, even filming a parade etc, you’d stop and start lt a bit. G9 does 4k30fps for 30 mins. I’ve never shot a file longer than about 5!
8 bit is fine to edit in LumaFusion on iPad Pro, but I struggle to edit 4k60fps when I switch it to the new 10 bit mode, my iPad Pro on LumaFusion can just edit them if the files are small - just, but my iMac can’t even play those files. I’m waiting for the new Apple silicone MacBook Pro’s to crunch those files.
The G90 is certainly a fine camera but to be honest for £200 more, if you can live with the slightly bigger size, and are worried about the crop on the video, I’d go with G9- it’s a hell of a lot of camera for the money if you search ‘G9 Cinematic’ for example on YouTube and see the quality.
G5 used to be the ultimate video camera but with firmware 2 and 10 bit there’s little difference now- and G9 is a much superior stills camera.
Of course you can buy better cameras but they’ll cost more. The new Canon and new Sony are both better but 3x the price and any video improvement in particular is nominal. Of course they have full size sensors for better low light, but the image stabilisation on the Panasonic’s means for stills the low light is still brilliant and you don’t have to go ultra high ISO. 3200 is very acceptable on it.
Old 13 Aug 20, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I wouldn’t worry about a time limit so much. You could hack the G9 until firmware 2 but can’t on firmware 2 but I’ve never even noticed a limit given my hack has now gone - it’s on a 10 minute limit on 4k60fps only now (it’s just to differentiate it from G5) but believe me, the files are huge at 10 mins and would be unworkable much longer so naturally anyway, even filming a parade etc, you’d stop and start lt a bit. G9 does 4k30fps for 30 mins. I’ve never shot a file longer than about 5!
8 bit is fine to edit in LumaFusion on iPad Pro, but I struggle to edit 4k60fps when I switch it to the new 10 bit mode, my iPad Pro on LumaFusion can just edit them if the files are small - just, but my iMac can’t even play those files. I’m waiting for the new Apple silicone MacBook Pro’s to crunch those files.
The G90 is certainly a fine camera but to be honest for £200 more, if you can live with the slightly bigger size, and are worried about the crop on the video, I’d go with G9- it’s a hell of a lot of camera for the money if you search ‘G9 Cinematic’ for example on YouTube and see the quality.
G5 used to be the ultimate video camera but with firmware 2 and 10 bit there’s little difference now- and G9 is a much superior stills camera.
Of course you can buy better cameras but they’ll cost more. The new Canon and new Sony are both better but 3x the price and any video improvement in particular is nominal. Of course they have full size sensors for better low light, but the image stabilisation on the Panasonic’s means for stills the low light is still brilliant and you don’t have to go ultra high ISO. 3200 is very acceptable on it.
Thank you for all the advice, I do like the idea of the G9 but think its probably going to come down to affordabiity and my number crunching ability at the end, one last question will all the different lens options fit both cameras ?

Paul
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by OutbackAddict View Post
Thank you for all the advice, I do like the idea of the G9 but think its probably going to come down to affordabiity and my number crunching ability at the end, one last question will all the different lens options fit both cameras ?
Yes same lenses. One great advantage to the camera is the lenses are smallish and lighter than say a full frame.
Old 13 Aug 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

You may find this interesting.

G9 also has a ‘hidden’ 6k video mode.
Old 16 Aug 20, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
chaffey
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
You are such a plonker - did you think I wouldn’t see it and erm I’ve always wanted a Nikon camera. Just saying...
chaffey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List