Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 8 Dec 19, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
My mother is doing her first and only trip, onsite, on a shoe string next year. She couldn’t afford 50 dollars on a Uber. She needs every penny she can get to just afford the basics. She has saved for a very long time to come. And time isn’t on her side. Is it not for her?
Use my Walgreens example , what would she do in that situation. I wouldn’t want MY mother stuck in that kind of scenario ... but if she had no contingency buffer I’d be giving her money to make sure she was OK as that’s what family do .
There’s budgeting and there is under budgeting.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Ah, so we are onto the old feckless poor side of the debate. Too stupid to do that right thing.

Adequate medical / travel insurance is of course a fundamental part of any trip to the states and the ability to initially cover expenses and reclaim them is a sensible part of any USA base trip.

Where as the paying out for a entirely optional 50 dollar Uber because Disney have let you down with a 60 min delay is not.

You are clutching at straws now.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Use my Walgreens example , what would she do in that situation. I wouldn’t want MY mother stuck in that kind of scenario ... but if she had no contingency buffer I’d be giving her money to make sure she was OK as that’s what family do .
There’s budgeting and there is under budgeting.
See my other reply... your confusing two things. What is optional and what is not optional.

My mother for example will have full (and very expensive) medical insurance and a credit card with a large limit to cover medical issues. Which she will be able to reclaim on her return.

Not the same as paying out for none reclaimable elements like taxis from the airport.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

I’m going to call it a night as I do actually get really angry with these sort of view points. It’s nothing short of snobbish, arrogant and mean spirited. And you did say maybe it’s not for people like her. It’s ridiculous.

I’m lucky to be able to afford the beach club every year, she has saved for about 10 years to afford staying at a moderate with free dining to make all work. Good on her and if Disney leave her stood at the airport for 60 mins in a queue for a bus she has every right to complain and feel let down.
Old 8 Dec 19, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

See my other reply... your confusing two things. What is optional and what is not optional.

My mother for example will have full (and very expensive) medical insurance and a credit card with a large limit to cover medical issues. Which she will be able to reclaim on her return.

Not the same as paying out for none reclaimable elements like taxis from the airport.
Not different at all
If she doesn’t have the money to pay at the time for over the counter medicine and transportation to get there an expensive insurance policy that will pay out weeks later isn’t going to help her at the time.
No different to paying out for an Uber and expecting Disney guest services to make good as the wait for DME was (genuinely) unacceptable (except you’d not need to wait til you get home)
Still I’m sure if you can afford the Beach Club every year and she can only afford All Stars every ten you are in reality going to make sure she’s OK in either scenario and this is just you moaning for the sake of moaning in advance about something that hasn’t happened and is unlikely to happen to her as an hour’s wait is exceptional and usually due to weather or ATC issues causing a backlog anyway .

Edited at 11:20 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

You clearly don’t read posts properly... night
Old 9 Dec 19, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Do you agree that ... (snip)
I have made very careful, to use the phrase "be careful when using the word unacceptable", and even put that between quotes

the reason is that, what do we really know about the situation ?

if your post had been about "second week in a row that DME is having guests wait in excess of 60 minutes" , then, right, downright unacceptable, but then my point stands, if something is unacceptable, it means I won't accept it, and then take necessary steps to not be in the situation to suffer from this unacceptable situation.

but what do we know ?
Were there large tour groups chartered from south america, and all clogging DME when the TA failed to book DME for dozens of people, causing massive delays ... and in that case, can you blame disney for guests not booking in advance ? No you can't, even without being a "fanboy"

were there otherwise unforeseeable delays, such as an accident on the road, delaying all of the buses and traffic ?

And, even so, what do we know about the actual wait time ? A sign does not mean a thing, a you and me perfectly know that. How often have you seen a posted wait time (in the parks) showing 60 minutes and realise you're riding in under 30 ? (or the other way around)

the point is, and the point I was making was, that it was easy to get triggered and overreact to a simple image, when you don't know the context.
And one should be "careful" when using strong words to comment on a situation we know nothing of, and that's shown out of context.

that's just common sense

I guarantee someone is reading your comment who 50 dollars really does mean a lot and still wishes to go, and should.
well, without any disrespect for those on tight budget, I doubt those who cannot budget for incidentals, will stay onsite in the first place

because it absolutely doesn't make sense to argue that $50 would break one's budget when the person accepts on paying on additional $50, $100 or even $150 a night to stay onsite (compared to offsite) to basically only get 60 days FP+ ... (and some hotel plaza bld hotels now get them ... and some hotels will even have free breakfast on top of half the price for the room, AND free shuttles to parks)

I respect those who stay value, or those who stay offsite, because money's tight. I do understand what having a tight budget is. Actually, that's the reason I can NO LONGER afford staying onsite and doing Disney even though I still do florida, so don't lecture me on that budget front and about disney squeezing out every penny out of guests. I'm much aware of that, and made the necessary decisions

but I also know, and hope everyone is aware that, any budget should (must) include room for any overhead. Aware that, if disney transportation is free, there will be time when one might choose to take a uber back to the hotel (mainly because having a meal at one hotel, then transitting back via a park to your own hotel can take in excess of 90 minutes

and when I can't afford to pay extra, I just suck it up, or take my business elsewhere

once again common sense

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
No I just save hard and make sure I have sufficient for any reasonable eventualities.
this!

I will also kindly remind the other posters fighting on the "poor people's who can only afford going to florida in overpriced hotels front" that, one of the basis they are admitted into the US, is their ability to prove that they have the financial capacity to pay for themselves during the length of their stay

meaning that, the "I'm on so tight a budget that I could not afford a $50 uber ride to get to my hotel in case my transportation provider failed me" would probably not fly good by the immigration officer

just saying ...

Edited at 09:30 AM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Mobile

Your missing the point. No doubt on purpose. There is a difference between the optional and the necessary.
Old 9 Dec 19, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

How on earth does having a prepaid hotel, prepaid transport, prepaid food, adequate insurance would worry an immigration officer ? That gives the officer more insurances than it does if you are saying you will DIY everything. They don't even ask you about this anyway, about all they do as is where you are staying. You are talking rubbish. Disney as a service provider have a responsibility to look after its guests. If they fail to do so, then you have your travel insurance to fall back on. There is no issue.

The default position of some people on here is only the wealthy should go to the USA, and its such a nonsense.

Everyone should consider carrying a credit card with a good limit to cover off gaps as travel insurance sometimes won't pay up front and you need to cover costs which you can reclaim. But if you get sick on holiday then you can pretty much reclaim all the costs - including taxis.

Such rubbish being said and I hope it doesn't put people off considering going.

Edited at 10:11 AM.
Old 9 Dec 19, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

They don't even ask you about this anyway,
wrong.
just because you may never have been asked does not make it a rule.

Disney as a service provider have a responsibility to look after its guests. If they fail to do so, then you have your travel insurance to fall back on. There is no issue.
right but you're missing 2 points :
1st : read my posts (at least once before replying) I did say that, there is always the possibility to get back at guest relations to complain from the "need" to take a uber because DME failed and was too busy. And as someone who's been very largely compensated from Disney's shortcomings in the past, I can tell you that you may even end up with a gift card that's larger than the uber fee you would have paid.
So how's that different from falling back on a insurance ?
No, again, it's just about ranting for the sake of ranting.
2nd : back on the immigration front, the officer doesn't care you have a fully inclusive vacations, they can't read minds.

The default position of some people on here is only the wealthy should go to the USA, and its such a nonsense.
no, the nonsense here is that you're arguing that people can be on a tight budget (true fact) but also that they should not need to take steps to adapt their trip to their budget.

if you're on a tight budget, you go to POP, or even B resort, and make do. You don't go to Beach Club, where, even on the free dining you will enjoy, you'll pay more on TS meals tips alone than you would pay at an offsite restaurant for the whole meal (slightly caricaturing here, but close enough)

nobody said those on a tight budget should not go, or consider not going.
But, that's fact that, when you're on a tight budget, you begin by downsizing, in order to free some of that budget.
that's what any sensible adult does on a daily basis.

If you don't have the budget for grocery shopping, it doesn't mean you have to starve, it just means that you may need to go to store brands instead of more fancy stuff.
but you've been implying along many posts that, we advocate that, if you can't afford lobster, you should not eat at all, or rather if you can't afford the unnecessary you should forget about the necessary. Nobody ever said that, but if I can only afford fish sticks and not lobsters, then fish sticks it will be, and that probalby will get me enough for some dessert for the kid.
You make it sound like it's all or nothing. No, it's about adapting and common sense.

Everyone should consider carrying a credit card with a good limit to cover off gaps

wait ... you're lecturing us about "some people think only the wealthy " and all . .. but at the same time, you never took into account that some people ... do not even qualify for a credit card ...

now that is rubbish.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List