Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Nov 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
purplemusky
Apprentice Imagineer

purplemusky's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Alternative Suggestions for a full road trip

I have been planning a road trip for next year, for myself, DH and DS who will be 14. We have done Florida for the past 8 years and fancy a change.

Looking at next August for 16 nights not found any reasonable flights just yet.

Had been planning on San Fran road trip down to Anaheim, but now my DH and DS are saying they are not wanting to do all the stops 3 nights San Fran, 1 night Monterey, 3 nights Yosemite etc.

My question could we base a trip on doing :-

Disney, Knotts Berry Farm theme park, Universal Studios, Warner Bros studio tour, Griffith observatory, Santa Monica, Venice Beach and Six Flags Magic Mountain and combine this with a beach stay somewhere so we get the best of both.

If so what beach areas would you suggest?

Thanks for any advice.

1995 IDrive/St Pete's Beach/1999 IDrive/Sarasota/2012/2013/2014 & 2016 Lake Buena Vista Village Resort & Spa/2017 Regal Palms & St Pete's Beach/2018 Orange Lake and Miami/2019 Miami, Clearwater & LBV
purplemusky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 19, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Think you should pursued them
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 19, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

You could save San Fran and the PCH for another trip along with Yosemite. No reason it has to be this trip.

Maybe look at doing LA and San Diego for this trip. SD is only 3 or so hours and more of a relaxed location but still with plenty to do.

Our DD at that age found Knott's Berry to be a bit young, but Six Flags was more of her style. Depends whether it's high speed thrill rides or more sedate ones you want.

Disney is 3 days really for a first visit Six Flags a day, Knott's Berry a day and Universal a day. So that's 6 days.

You could then do Warner Bros, Griffith Observatory and Hollywood on another day. Santa Monica and Venice Beach and some other local sites is another day.

Even with a couple of easy days.in amongst that it would.leave enough for San Diego. Doing San Fran and PCH would make it a full on packed holiday with little down time.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We had 14 days at Easter of 2017. We did 3 nights SFO (Dylan’s ultimate cycle, Alcatraz, Cable car, Fishermen’s wharf, Union Sq), , 1 Monterey ( Whale watch), 1 Madonna Inn at S L Obispo ( then onwards to Reagan library on way to).., 1 Valencia (6 Flags), 2 Anaheim (Disney), 5 San Diego (Midway, Seaworld, Balboa Park, Harbour cruise, Horse riding, Mexican border at Tijuana), 1 RMS Queen Mary at Long beach and then spent our final day at Santa Monica from where we did an La guided tour.

This worked really well for us, but there are a few aspects that we might have changed with hindsight. There is no right or wrong way and clearly there are many very valid opinions and preferences expressed on the DIBB.

My trip is all on one thread and can be viewed in the trippie section..
‘California N to South at Easter’

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by purplemusky View Post
I have been planning a road trip for next year, for myself, DH and DS who will be 14. We have done Florida for the past 8 years and fancy a change.

Looking at next August for 16 nights not found any reasonable flights just yet.

Had been planning on San Fran road trip down to Anaheim, but now my DH and DS are saying they are not wanting to do all the stops 3 nights San Fran, 1 night Monterey, 3 nights Yosemite etc.

My question could we base a trip on doing :-

Disney, Knotts Berry Farm theme park, Universal Studios, Warner Bros studio tour, Griffith observatory, Santa Monica, Venice Beach and Six Flags Magic Mountain and combine this with a beach stay somewhere so we get the best of both.

If so what beach areas would you suggest?

Thanks for any advice.
We have done this sort of trip with our teenagers, we stayed in Hollywood a few nights, Anaheim a few nights and then ended up in San Diego, it was a great, great holiday and we all loved it
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

I agree that if you want to minimise travelling and stops then maybe the Greater LA area and San Diego would be a good option.

We stayed near Redondo Beach and hired cycles from Hermosa Beach, cycled to Manhattan, swam in the Pacific and had a great day. We also visited Knotts Berry Farm which was a very pleasant day, but might be a bit young for your family if they want loads of big rides.

San Diego was an excellent place to stay. It’s compact and has loads of beautiful beaches and attractions like the Zoo and USS Midway.

If you want any advice re San Diego I recommend Aims’ sticky thread at he top of this board. It has loads of brilliant advice. Aims (Amy) is very knowledgable and friendly. Hi Amy.

We didn’t do Disney, Universal, Hollywood etc, but we were on a road trip and only spent 3 nights in the LA area.

It’s a beautiful state with lots of great scenery.

Happy planning.

Edited at 04:59 PM.
tocpe321 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
purplemusky
Apprentice Imagineer

purplemusky's Reviews
Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Think you should pursued them
Not a no go just yet, just looking at alternatives before a final decision is made.

1995 IDrive/St Pete's Beach/1999 IDrive/Sarasota/2012/2013/2014 & 2016 Lake Buena Vista Village Resort & Spa/2017 Regal Palms & St Pete's Beach/2018 Orange Lake and Miami/2019 Miami, Clearwater & LBV
purplemusky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
purplemusky
Apprentice Imagineer

purplemusky's Reviews
Thank you all for your responses, they are very helpful. My DS loves the big thrill coasters so Knotts Berry sounds too sedate for him.

I like the suggestion of keeping it to Hollywood, Anaheim and then San Diego, this may be a better option for our first California trip. going to have a look at all your suggestions - thanks.