Notices

Old 27 Aug 18, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Plato
Serious Dibber

Five Go Mad in Disney 2018 with Lashing of Cocktails - The Pre-Trip Report

Cocktails on DDP, Veggie Delights and Unusual Snaps

So should we do a trip report? That question has been floating round my head for a few weeks now, and the fact I am writing this probably means I have finally made my mind up.

We are only a few days away from our flights from MAN for our 14 day adventure to the sunshine state.

This holiday has been a long time in the making. As a family we have been 5 or 6 times when the children were younger having done ASM, AKL, Villa (2 or 3 times...lost count ...blaming my age) and Pop.

We were due to go again about 5 years ago, but me, Richard, was struck down with a nasty spinal problem that meant travel was just not possible and then life took over. We had saved the money and put it to one side promising we would use it to go back one day!

So 5 years rolls by and lots has changed:

Spine all better after several operations.
DD go her degree and moved to the other side of the world...well Bournemouth to be with her fiance.
DS just finished his A levels and got his place at York to study Physics.

This could be our last chance to do it all together, before the "kids" go off and get lives!

We booked last October and I have been tweaking and playing with plans ever since, but more of that later. First of all, introducing

The Cast:

Richard (Me, aka Plato, aka Grumpy) - Over 50 now, but only just (I promise.) Self-confessed roller coaster junkie, obsessive holiday planner and sometimes "full of myself" - At least I know!

Lucy (DW - "I refuse to excited until we actually get there") - Doesn't do big roller coasters, loves holding coats at theme parks and wants time to chill. Loves a beer or three.

Bex (DD - aka as Princess) - If it isn't theatre or Disney she just isn't interested. A singer and performer at heart, but got a proper job now! Harry Potter nut!

Nathaniel (DSILTB (Son in Law to be) aka as NatWest) - We all look up to him as we are a "short" family and he is a tall guy! He is very much part of the family now and the second time he has suffered our "comedy" as part of a holiday.

Zac (DS aka The Thinker) - I thought I had a dry sense of humour until Zac said his first words. Committed vegetarian, which will be part of the "fun" this time. Loves roller coasters... the bigger the better!

All adults (in a manner of speaking) but DS is a bit depressed that he is not yet 21 for a drink or two in Orlando.

I will warn you here and now, that we are quite a shy bunch (or we are on the run from the law?) and do not really do lots of photos of us, but at least three of us are "not bad" amateur photographers, so hopefully will share some interesting shots. We might even let you get a sneaky glimpse of a hand or ear.

The Plans

MAN to MCO - Virgin Atlantic - Flying Premium Economy. We made the mistake of doing it once and cannot go back. We have M&G booked.

14 nights on-site at POR with standard DDP - We've changed our mind a few times, having originally booked at ASM and then changing to POP and then finally settling on POR (We've booked three rooms so we all have our own space too) We nearly did a villa, but we love the freedom of the transport with being onsite and it means we can all do our own thing when we want to and we are trying the standard dining plan for the first time ever.

Booked 14 day tickets for WDW and Universal. Not doing Seaworld (not our thing) and have prebooked KSC and already have some cheap FunSpot wristbands too.

We are planning a packed first week. A trip to MNSSHP (hope the costumes arrive before we go) on the second week, but a much more relaxed (go as you please) second week.

ADR's booked so far - Boma Breakfast (tradition for us now), Yak and Yeti, Sci-Fi Dine-In, Be Our Guest Lunch, Skipper Canteen, Teppan Edo, California Grill - Brunch at the Top, The Wave.

So what can I promise?

A daily(ish) update
The hunt for great vegetarian meals and snacks.
Lots of food photos
More drink photos
Some dry humour
A little bit of winging
Some unusual photos
Lots of snacks & drink from the Food & Wine Festival

Back on Friday for our Pre-Travel day...

Edited at 11:07 PM.
Plato is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 18, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Sweets
like a dog with a bone

Oh not long to go. I've also planned a bit of a heavier first week and a slower second week. Let's see how that goes.

Looking forward to your next update.

Port Orleans Riverside ~ Oct 2012
Hard Rock Hotel (no Disney!) ~ Aug 2016
New York, Sheraton NY Times Square ~ Feb 2017
Santorini, Dana Villas ~ Aug 2017
Yacht Club ~ Sept 2018
Caribbean Cruise, P&O ~ Mar 2019
Caribbean Beach Resort ~ May 2022 & May 2023
Drury Plaza (first adults only trip!) ~ Aug 2024

Sweets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 18, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Plato
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Sweets View Post
Oh not long to go. I've also planned a bit of a heavier first week and a slower second week. Let's see how that goes.

Looking forward to your next update.
Trouble is we've said it before... but we are definitely going to try.
Plato is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List