Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 21 Oct 19, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Magic mouse1 View Post
Hi in the uk draught soft drinks are sold in ounces ,so medium coke is 14 ounces and large is 18 ounces.so if you order a pint of coke and you don’t want ice the glass will not be full as a pint glass is 20 ounces which leaves room for the ice.
A pint or half pint is only a measure for beer larger and milk.
If you go to McDonald’s or the cinema you get med or large drinks.
Some reason everybody in uk does not seem to know this, I work in a pub restaurant and have to explain this to lots of guests.
You only pay for what you order.
Surely the coke should come to the same “line” that the beer does on the glass. A pint is a pint regardless of the liquid in it.
I don’t get ice every as I find it hard to drink with ice and it’s annoying.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Magic mouse1 View Post
Hi in the uk draught soft drinks are sold in ounces ,so medium coke is 14 ounces and large is 18 ounces.so if you order a pint of coke and you don’t want ice the glass will not be full as a pint glass is 20 ounces which leaves room for the ice.
A pint or half pint is only a measure for beer larger and milk.
If you go to McDonald’s or the cinema you get med or large drinks.
Some reason everybody in uk does not seem to know this, I work in a pub restaurant and have to explain this to lots of guests.
You only pay for what you order.
This is not true everywhere though. Wetherspoons will happily do a full pint with no Ice, Green King pubs won't they have a measured pour. It seems to depend on the pub and the barman. There is no requirement for soft drinks to be served in oz pints or anything, its up to the individual. They are not covered by weights and measures.
Old 21 Oct 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Just a couple of minor comments.

To avoid ice in soda we've found two simple words work well enough for us - "no ice"

In at least 80% of restaurants the server will say "Is it OK if I leave the check with you now? No rush - when you're ready" What should we say - "No thank you just go walkabout for 30 minutes so we have to search for you when we want the check.

Mick
Old 21 Oct 19, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic mouse1
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by gavvy View Post
This is not true everywhere though. Wetherspoons will happily do a full pint with no Ice, Green King pubs won't they have a measured pour. It seems to depend on the pub and the barman. There is no requirement for soft drinks to be served in oz pints or anything, its up to the individual. They are not covered by weights and measures.
Hi if they give you a coke check there bar price list it will state the size of the coke in ounces not pints or half this is because you can only sell beer larger or cider in imperial measurements. Which is a third a half or a pint.you can not sell anything else in pints or half’s. It might come in a pint glass but the measure is not a pint.
So if there bar price list states 20 ounces and they put ice init without asking you they are breaking the weights and measuring law. If you ask for ice they can put it in.
This only applies in the uk not usa

Edited at 12:10 AM.
Magic mouse1 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Magic mouse1
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
Surely the coke should come to the same “line” that the beer does on the glass. A pint is a pint regardless of the liquid in it.
I don’t get ice every as I find it hard to drink with ice and it’s annoying.
Hi a pint is a measurement for only beer larger and cider and I think milk.Which is imperial measurement.
I work for Mitchells and Butler who own about 1800 pubs and restaurant in the uk.
We sell in measures of small 9oz medium 14 oz and large 18oz..
So if you asked for a pint with no ice I would have to say we only serve large coke which is 18oz a pint glass is 20 oz .
I don’t make these laws but have to follow them I have been a pub manager for 30 years. It is very hard to educate the public on weights and measurement laws if they don’t know them.
Magic mouse1 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List