Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Sep 14, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We have made some wonderful friends because of sharing dinner tables with them! Still in touch via Facebook. We also had the opportunity to dine alone in the speciality restaurants. Breakfast and lunch were usually in the buffet

May tomorrow be a perfect day - may you find love and laughter along the way...
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 14, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post

This is worrying me to !

I absolutely do not want to sit with other people !

We are a party of 6 so hoping it will be ok! But it would ruin my holiday if I have to talk to strangers!

Have you got the email to request sitting alone ?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 14, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
mickchick
Imagineer

mickchick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Bats misses the point and in so doing only serves to underline DCL's uncompromising (and completely outdated) belief that the customers should consider themselves jolly lucky to be allowed on board at all. The customer may not always be right, but it is the customer's money that keeps the ship afloat. Therefore, DCL should listen to their customers and if there is a demand for tables for two,or one-family groups, they should meet it. The other cruise lines have done this in the last three years, and will bend over backwards to give their customers what they want. To support DCL's arrogant policy of seating diners where they (DCL) like, and giving anyone who doesn't like it no choice but to eat at the buffet, as Bats implies, is to ignore what a great many people want: to dine in their own company. As strongly evidenced by the posters to this thread who don't want to break bread with strangers.

Edited at 11:32 AM.
mickchick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 14, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
lottie89
Imagineer

Mobile

I didn't mind sharing last time but I do kind of like the idea of just the two of us by a window...might request it and if it doesn't happen I won't be upset. We got on with our table mates but actually formed our best relationship on the cruise with a couple we met in Skyline! In fact we're meeting them for dinner and cocktails in WDW next year 😊
California ~ 2015
lottie89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 14, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
simmofamily
Imagineer

We're going on the Freedom of the Seas in February and had just decided to book for the 6.30 sitting as we'd like to sit with others and enjoy the experience as there's only the 2 of us.
Rang Virgin and unfortunately that time is all booked up so have agreed to the 8pm sitting. Does anyone know what time the shows start as we don't want to miss them?
Old 2 Sep 14, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mertin
Imagineer

This is something that really doesn't bother me, but DW has some reservations. On the 2 cruises we've been on, there's always been 4 of us, and so we've had a table of 4, but next year it's just the 2 of us so assume that we'll be sat with strangers.

I'd go into it open minded... have you ever been to Biergarten at Epcot. We have been many times and love it and have always been sat with another group. Chances are you'll be sat with Americans and they generally love a chat with a Brit... asking questions like; Do you know the Queen
2022 - BLT, Disney Fantasy; BLT Disney Dream
DVC Owner at Bay Lake Tower
mertin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 14, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
simmofamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mertin View Post
This is something that really doesn't bother me, but DW has some reservations. On the 2 cruises we've been on, there's always been 4 of us, and so we've had a table of 4, but next year it's just the 2 of us so assume that we'll be sat with strangers.

I'd go into it open minded... have you ever been to Biergarten at Epcot. We have been many times and love it and have always been sat with another group. Chances are you'll be sat with Americans and they generally love a chat with a Brit... asking questions like; Do you know the Queen
See that is what I love... do you know the queen ha ha!
My DH will probably tell them he's related lol.
He's the type that won't talk first but once people speak to him they seem to love his personality. I just love to talk to anyone so that's why I want to sit with others after all we've been together 27 years and I've picked his brains as much as I can
Old 2 Sep 14, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Hal
Gloria sic transit mundi.

Hal's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 17
Originally Posted by mickchick View Post
Bats misses the point and in so doing only serves to underline DCL's uncompromising (and completely outdated) belief that the customers should consider themselves jolly lucky to be allowed on board at all. The customer may not always be right, but it is the customer's money that keeps the ship afloat. Therefore, DCL should listen to their customers and if there is a demand for tables for two,or one-family groups, they should meet it. The other cruise lines have done this in the last three years, and will bend over backwards to give their customers what they want. To support DCL's arrogant policy of seating diners where they (DCL) like, and giving anyone who doesn't like it no choice but to eat at the buffet, as Bats implies, is to ignore what a great many people want: to dine in their own company. As strongly evidenced by the posters to this thread who don't want to break bread with strangers.
I don't think Bats missed the point at all. She merely corrected you on your facts. You might prefer the world to be flat - unfortunately it is round. Bats just explained that; and then counselled the OP that the world being round isn't such a bad thing after all.

Owner at Marriott Marbella Beach, Cypress Harbour, & Harbour Lake; and DVC OKW & BLT.

There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle.
Hal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 14, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
davidct
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

We are always clear that we want our own table (5) and always get it. On our first cruise (we're about to do our 5th) they put us on a table with others and after speaking with guest service they fixed it for us. Helps to list your requirements direct with Disney when you make your booking - that seems to do the trick. Enjoy, and don't worry about it as it may not happen!
Disneyland Paris - 3 visits
Disney Cruises - 9
davidct is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 14, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
I don't think Bats missed the point at all. She merely corrected you on your facts. You might prefer the world to be flat - unfortunately it is round. Bats just explained that; and then counselled the OP that the world being round isn't such a bad thing after all.
Thank you Hal, your answer was much clearer than mine would have been
If we add up how many Dibbers sail with DCL and how many are ok with shared dining against how many are not, the majority would be ok with it. The subject only comes up because a newbie is fearful of something that may be out of their comfort zone. It was out of mine too the first time Mick and I sailed as a couple .. I was petrified I'd sit next to a noisy eater or a devil child. It has never been like that though and we've met some lovely people during our shared dining.

Originally Posted by davidct View Post
We are always clear that we want our own table (5) and always get it. On our first cruise (we're about to do our 5th) they put us on a table with others and after speaking with guest service they fixed it for us. Helps to list your requirements direct with Disney when you make your booking - that seems to do the trick. Enjoy, and don't worry about it as it may not happen!
Making your request direct to DCL should make no difference, unless of course the alternative is calling a UK TA. In which case, yes, you may not get anywhere!
For tables of 5 people, it's not uncommon to be on your own, it's really the parties of 2 and 3 that may share. This is just because of the table sizes. If every couple wanted to have their own table, there wouldn't be enough.
DCL do bend over backwards to complete all requests, that's why they win the cruise awards every year .. They're doing something right surely?

To all the newbies .. Request whatever you wish for through a US TA or with DCL direct. They will try to accommodate you, but if they can't, try it for one night, then, if you don't like your table mates, speak to your Head Server to see if they can help. They may move you to a different rotation or to late dining if you're on main .. There seems to be more space on late dining as most families choose early due to the children.

Most of all, don't worry, you're cruising so just enjoy it.