Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Sep 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekytink
VIP Dibber

cheekytink's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Ranting at other parents via WhatsApp?

So, last week our "mums WhatsApp group" received a really direct message from a mum in the year, complaining about some other children who had apparently been unkind to her child. She didn't name the alleged perpetrators, but having sent multiple messages saying how disappointed she was (this boy has just started at the school), she did then proceed to direct message the other children's mums to complain again, directly.
The alleged issue took place in school, but this mum had not spoken to the teacher, and was going on the word of her child.
Our children are in year 2, so 6-7 yrs old.
Now, my child was not one of the indicated offenders, but I know some of the other mums are really really upset by her behaviour...
what do you think? Is it OK to directly complain to other parents without checking the facts with the teacher first? Should issues that arise in school be dealt with in school?
I actually don't know how I feel about the whole thing... but it has certainly started the year off with a bit of a difficult atmosphere!

Been to DLP 40+ times?
Yes... Yes I have.

DLP: 92,93,94 (twice), 95, 96, 98, 99, 00 (twice), 01,02,03, 05, 06 (twice) 07, 09, 10 (twice), 11, 12, 14, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 (twice) 19 (x 4!), 2022 x2 .

WDW 94,96, 99, 10,11, 13, 14,15,17,18,19, 22 x2, 23 x4 and 24 booked x3 (so far!)
Solo visitor lover and DCL 2023 on the Disney Wish
DL 93
cheekytink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Do what my Daughter does
Ignore all the Mums and Dads at the School
Cancel Facebook
Gives her phone number to next to nobody.

Maybe 28 plus years ago we were in the 'playground scenario' My Wife had the same reaction. Ignore them and get on with life as her view was they weren't worth losing heart muscle over.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Its difficult. I think the parent should either speak to the teacher or just the parents direct or if feels uncomfortable maybe message the parent direct but not on a class chat.
We had a similar issue last year where a mum did that.
Old 23 Sep 19, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I don’t think this other mum handle it well. She should have sorted it out with the teacher first and the private message the mum/dad if nothing improved. Other parents did not need to know so messaging a group chat is a bit wrong. Having a child in year 2 I’m surprised she did this after one incident. At this age I don’t think children set out to bully.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

No I think she should have dealt with it outside of the group. My daughter is having a lot of problems with two girls in school. We are all in the mums WhatsApp group and despite the fact we parents now don’t get on we don’t show any of this in the group. Some things need to be dealt with on the DL I feel.

Edited at 07:58 PM.
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Alllovedisney
slightly serious Dibber

I quite happily joined the what’s app groups for my 4 girls’ year groups. And whilst I’ve not witnessed rants towards other kids, I have witnessed rants about the teachers/school policy/homework etc (how does that solve the issue?). Anyway in April my phone broke and I just never got round to getting it fixed, so now I’m off all groups and my goodness, my mind is clearer! Apart from the initial FOMO, I’ve not missed it.

I honestly don’t think parents’ what’s app groups work. I’m sure if you look back over threads, there will be more than one negative post about something or other. One school mum tried to liken it to school gate gossip when our mums were stood ther some 30 years ago. I’m sorry, it’s not. That gossip may have reached a couple of mums, not half of the class!

Now I’ve got my rant out of the way 🤣; I love my kids, but I don’t generally accept their initial telling of a story. If it was bad enough for me to get involved, I would be contacting the school not the parents. Who knows what might be going on in that child’s life; the school are best placed to deal with any incident in school, in my view.
DLP (offsite) Sep 1998 WDW (offsite) Nov 2002 DLP (DCR) Jan 2005 DLP (DCR) Nov 2009 DLP (SF) Oct 2010 DLP (DLH) Feb 2013 St Petes & WDW (SSR) Sep/Aug 2016 DLP (DCR) Sep 2017 DLP (offsite Explorers) Dec 2017 DLP (DCR) May 2018 DLP (DCR) Sep 2018 DLP (HC for Disney Performing Arts) July 2019.
Alllovedisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Apart from coming on here I am not on any social media sites. Also, if any mums want to do a group thing I don’t get involved.y eldest has just started college and my youngest has just started year 2. And I have another child at high school. So I know loads of mum’s, we chat etc but I don’t get involved any further than that.
I have seen so many parents fall out over kids then the kids are friends again.
If someone has upset our children we feel very strongly about and sometimes it’s easy to knee jerk react.
Removing myself from that possibility has certainly helped in years gone by.

It sounds like she is upset because her child is upset then lashed out on the group chat. Unfortunately it’s easily done, not right though

Edited at 08:02 PM.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Stella_11
Excited about Disney

I'd be leaving that group.
Stella_11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

I always say that if it’s something you wouldn’t say face-to-face, you shouldn’t say it on SM either.

Sounds like she’s making a fool of herself and risks being alienated if she carries on venting like this.

Edited at 08:08 PM.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi Princess
Imagineer

Mobile

I’d be leaving the group.