Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 26 Sep 19, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Sounds like they ruined a perfectly good lobster! What an absolute shame after such a promising start. I think we are in fact twins as I’m also celebrating the big 50 next year 😂

I hope you have a good final night at Narcoossee .. the lobster there is simply sever butter poached and should prove more successful than the abomination you had last night.

Even from the photos you can see there’s way too much unnecessary garden on those plates... lazy and sloppy. I had hoped for a good review but it’s put me right off going there.

Enjoy your last day xx

2001 Sheraton International Drive
2016 Caribbean Beach Resort
2017 Port Orleans Riverside
2018 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Those nachos look lovely.

An awful shame about the mains though. It's so disappointing, especially when you've heard rave reviews.

The 'salad' doesn't even look like it's been arranged nicely, it looks like it was just thrown on the plate

I hope today's food has improved for you xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post

Day 17: Gasparilla Grill lunch

We decided to spend our last full day in the resort and Nev booked a spa afternoon treat for me. Breakfast was taken in the lounge, well actually I brought the food to the room as the lounge is always very busy at breakfast time.

We got lunch to go from Gasparilla Grill and ate it on the balcony. Nev picked the Artisan burger which is served with fries. I would have quite liked the grilled cheese and tomato bisque again, but it has disappeared from the menu, scandalous. Instead I selected the macaroni cheese which is listed under the “Chef Specialities” section of the menu.

I was surprised that my macaroni cheese was served with fries, double carbs is just wrong and there was no mention of fries on the menu. I had also expected a more “adult” macaroni cheese, considering it was a speciality, this seemed more like a child’s mac n cheese, being very plain and a bit plasticky, if that makes sense. It was average and there was a lot so I couldn’t finish it. Nev reported that his burger was just ok too, nothing to write home about but served a purpose and he finished it no problem.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

What a shame about the grilled cheese disappearing, OH will be disappointed.

I'm not sure that Nev's burger looks very 'Artisan' and although your mac and cheese looks nice (certainly nicer than the toxic yellow variety) it doesn't look very 'Speciality' either.

I think I have been a bit harsh, it is a QS after all, I think I just expect a bit more oomph from the Grand Floridian.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Oh no Claudette, after all of the jesting Nev received from us he must have felt vindicated in initially missing Bluezoo out. Very much a mixed bag but you've taken it in good humour. Those nachos sound to die for.
I think I would go back for the crab nachos, but don’t think we will bother with the restaurant again.

Originally Posted by Pez01 View Post
Sounds like they ruined a perfectly good lobster! What an absolute shame after such a promising start. I think we are in fact twins as I’m also celebrating the big 50 next year 😂

I hope you have a good final night at Narcoossee .. the lobster there is simply sever butter poached and should prove more successful than the abomination you had last night.

Even from the photos you can see there’s way too much unnecessary garden on those plates... lazy and sloppy. I had hoped for a good review but it’s put me right off going there.

Enjoy your last day xx
I did wonder if they took less care because we were in the lounge, but Nev says he could not imagine, the kitchen shouting at “one Cantonese lobster for a lounge guest”.

What month are you 50? I am April.

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Those nachos look lovely.

An awful shame about the mains though. It's so disappointing, especially when you've heard rave reviews.

The 'salad' doesn't even look like it's been arranged nicely, it looks like it was just thrown on the plate

I hope today's food has improved for you xx
I will report back from Narcoossee later.

What a shame about the grilled cheese disappearing, OH will be disappointed.

I'm not sure that Nev's burger looks very 'Artisan' and although your mac and cheese looks nice (certainly nicer than the toxic yellow variety) it doesn't look very 'Speciality' either.

I think I have been a bit harsh, it is a QS after all, I think I just expect a bit more oomph from the Grand Floridian.
I must have read the menu four times, I have just checked again too. Nope, gone.

Yes you are right, I have seen photos of the bright yellow macaroni cheese so I am glad about that, it was ok really, I am puzzled at it being a speciality though.
Old 27 Sep 19, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Disappointed that you had a bad experience at BZ, there's no excuse for dumping all that green #### all over the plate with no thought.

I had the cantonese lobster many years ago and found it over facing and too sweet, I keep forgetting in my reviews to tell people to steer clear of it - though they have been encouraging the servers to tell people it is available as a standard full poached lobster dish. I wish they'd make that clearer on the menu as I'm sure people prefer it that way.

Hope Narcoossee's didn't let you dowwn on your final night
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
Disappointed that you had a bad experience at BZ, there's no excuse for dumping all that green #### all over the plate with no thought.

I had the cantonese lobster many years ago and found it over facing and too sweet, I keep forgetting in my reviews to tell people to steer clear of it - though they have been encouraging the servers to tell people it is available as a standard full poached lobster dish. I wish they'd make that clearer on the menu as I'm sure people prefer it that way.

Hope Narcoossee's didn't let you dowwn on your final night
Aw, I do wish they had mentioned that a regular poached lobster was an option. I would definitely have opted for that had I known and I think it was the lobster that was the main let down of the night.

Narcoosee’s was good.
Old 27 Sep 19, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post

'Kind of' doing both sounds like a very good compromise. I hope you enjoy Narcoossee's.

Have you done Citricos in the past?
I forgot to answer this one. Yes we have been to Citricos but before my Dibb days so no review. I don’t remember it that well, but it isn’t somewhere we have thought about going back to. That is not to say it was bad, there are only a few places we go back to.
Old 27 Sep 19, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Day 17: Narcoossee dinner

We could not resist having our last night dinner a few steps away from our accommodation. We had a late reservation booked initially to coincide with fireworks, but we were tired and brought it forward. We were allocated a window table, not prime window table, but it was fine as we were too early for fireworks anyway, as mentioned.

I had pre-selected both my starter and main, whilst Nev was only sure that he would be having the lobster bisque to start, he rarely turns that down these days. He decided upon the pork chop for his main on the night.

I found it hard to resist the lobster bisque too, but I wanted a different appetiser so I opted for the cider braised mussels and cream. As previously discussed with Pez, my main was to be the surf and turf with an upgrade to filet (cooked rare) from sirloin but then my preferred lobster cook is steamed rather than butter poached.

The bread was the first thing to arrive, it was warm but otherwise not memorable which was fine as we didn’t wish to fill up. Next up the starters, the bisque was a delight, plenty of lobster and I got my own spoon for it too, just in case. I really enjoyed my mussels, there were a few not fully open which I left, but the majority were consumed. I thought the bread served with the mussels was a bit too hard, the server did suggest it was great for dipping but it was too hard for me and again I didn’t want to spoil my appetite with bread.

Nev’s pork chop main was well cooked and it went very well with the apple and red cabbage accompaniments, however he didn’t enjoy the fingerling potatoes very much as he thought they were a bit stodgy.

My rare filet was divine, a super cook on it. The lobster too was a triumph. I also really enjoyed the mash potato although not the summer vegetables so much as they seemed undercooked. Nevertheless, dish of the holiday.

Nev and I rarely do desserts so that was it for us. :
Old 27 Sep 19, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’m so glad you enjoyed your last night’s dinner - I’m all about the bisque and the filet/lobster there...

My big 50 is September - the plan is to celebrate in August on holiday xx

2001 Sheraton International Drive
2016 Caribbean Beach Resort
2017 Port Orleans Riverside
2018 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List