Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 13 Oct 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by themeparksandy View Post
men would only watch Reality tv if there partners or wives watched it.
Well there’s a sweeping unsubstantiated statement. P.S. my husband loves Strictly.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Yes I dislike reality tv programmes, mostly “ celebrities” I have never heard off. I will make an exception for I’m a celebrity get me out of here though ! Always plan on watching Strictly but lose interest after a few weeks. This weeks Celebrity X Factor was a new low ( unfortunately my family like watching them, I just sit and DIBB until they are over !)
Miss the days of The Generation Game with Bruce or Larry Grayson, The Dukes of Hazzard, The A Team and Knight Rider. Don’t miss Saturday wrestling though which my dad insisted on watching.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
My ballroom dancing patisserie chef hubby would disagree that only women watch Strictly or Bake Off!

We often don't watch TV at all. We follow Strictly, Bake Off (and related programmes such as Sewing Bee or Pottery Throwdown) - I suppose they are 'reality' but the participants do actually have to learn something, rather than sit in a house and bitch about each other.

We also watch Only Connect and University Challenge.

That's about it really. Wouldn't touch the likes of Love Island with a barge pole. Don't watch X Factor or anything similar. Don't watch game shows, except sometimes The Chase or Pointless over teatime.

We don't have Netflix, Amazon, Sky or anything else. We are still working our way through loads of films recorded last year on our digibox!

Far too busy to worry about what's on telly!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Sorry didn’t mean nothing against Women but men would only watch Reality tv if there partners or wives watched it. Our sky planner got Strictly, 4 in a bed, Coach Trip, Bake off, Don’t tell the bride and the hunted. Out of all them I just watch Hunted and Coach trip and even that done my head In this season with it been on a hour instead of half hour.
Er my fiancé (Male!) watches reality TV, by choice. I watch dramas.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

its pretty much all junk in my opinion... but the only way you can rid of it is to STOP WATCHING IT!

(i don't, and i feel good because of it. why waste your time on that when you could be watching breaking bad or the wire?!)
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

I hate it now but used to watch Big Brother until Jade Goody appeared, Strictly until Len Goodman left and Bake Off until it went to Channel 4. It's cheap TV so the channels will keep making it but I choose not to watch it.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I agree with you about reality TV shows, I'd be happy to get rid of the lot of 'em. Same goes for talent shows (which you didn't mention).

However, the 90s Saturday night TV was no better than the current offerings. I don't see that there's much difference.

Like for Example 90’s I sat down watching:
4:30 Final Score with my dad
Around 5:30 Big Break we all watched
6 Generation Game or Challenge Anneka
7 Noel’s house Party
8 Lottery
10 Match of the day
Other than the football, most of those are game shows (with a little bit of reality TV on Noel's House Party).

Nowadays you have:

5:30 News
6 Pointless Celebrities
7 Strictly
8:30 The Wall
9:30 Casualty

That's similar to the 90s. None of those are reality TV shows, most of them are game shows. And at least now you get a drama, so there's slightly more variety than back in the 90s.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
Well there’s a sweeping unsubstantiated statement. P.S. my husband loves Strictly.
Strictly isn't a reality TV show. Neither is Bake Off. Nor X-Factor. These are talent shows. Or, at least, that's how I classify them in my head.

To me, reality TV shows are things like TOWIE and Big Brother.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I admit that I am a reality tv fan - sorry! I suspect I’m one of very few that admit it! 😊

I was a massive Big Brother fan from start to finish and am sad that it stopped. I’m very much enjoying The Circle as well - find both shows fascinating.

I also watched Love Island and am watching Celebrity coach trip, but haven’t enjoyed them as much as the two above.

As for TOWIE, Made in Chelsea etc, I don’t remotely see them in the same league - feel very staged and full of wannabes. I acknowledge that BB became more of a wannabe show in the latter days, but I did enjoy the wide mix of people coming together and watching their interaction - that’s what I’m finding so appealing about The Circle.

So even us Reality TV ‘fans’ have our limits and standards!

Oh and I do dip in to the talent shows (strictly and X factor) but I don’t get quite as invested in them as I have with my two fav reality shows 👍
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Not sure if it counts as reality TV but a few weeks ago we had a Channel 4 film crew in our office for a few days filming for a pilot episode for a (potential) show about the company where I work.