Notices

Old 28 Mar 18, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
So my patience has paid off and when I checked Skyscanner just there I found Aer Lingus flights from Glasgow via Dublin for £458 each! I had a choice of two flight times from Glasgow - 8.20am or 11.30am so I chose the earlier one so we have plenty of time in Dublin to get through pre-clearance. I have no idea how long it should take but don’t want to take any chances. The flight home is at 9.10pm giving us effectively an additional day which is fantastic. The seat layout is better for us too being 2-4-2 and seat selection is free so we’ve been able to choose already.
Now just to get car hire and the unnecessary airport hotel booked!
Great stuff and good prices too! It's all coming together nicely

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 18, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Lisa. Well done, good deal on the flights.
Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Great stuff and good prices too! It's all coming together nicely
Yes I’m so pleased with the price. It’s been a long time since we’ve paid less than £600 for a flight!

I’ve also been busy booking car hire and the unnecessary airport hotel.

I had seen good prices with Alamo Brits last week but didn’t want to book before booking flights. They’ve now gone up quite a bit. Hertz are equally expensive and although Avis have a good price we’ve not used them before. We used Alamo last year and found Skip the Counter excellent so I was keen to go for them again. I was all ready to just hold off when I saw that Discount Florida Car hire had the same prices with Alamo as the Brits deal last week so have booked with them. Online check in and Skip the Counter now done too! I’ve gone for an intermediate SUV this time ever hopeful I’ll get a RAV4! It’s £180 for the week.

Airport hotel is Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport as usual. It’s the best price for an on-airport hotel I can find and right across from the terminal building. We’ll need to be at the airport pretty early for an 8.20am flight so this’ll save us over an hour. At that time of the morning every 5mins in bed is precious!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 18, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Your flights sound brilliant. We are flying aer lingus this summer for the first time too. We have the Dublin pre clearance and I'm really looking forward to it. The seat configuration is great. I went for 2 sets of window seats for us. Lovely to not have another passenger next to us and an aisle and a window seat. We also were able to book our seats when we bought the flights and it was free which is another bonus. Ours cost a little more than yours, but for August I was happy. Also, we have that same return time on our homeward journey which will make we get a fab last day and not just the morning.

I'm so pleased for you! I'll let you know how we get on when we get back, fingers crossed it all works out well.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 18, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Your flights sound brilliant. We are flying aer lingus this summer for the first time too. We have the Dublin pre clearance and I'm really looking forward to it. The seat configuration is great. I went for 2 sets of window seats for us. Lovely to not have another passenger next to us and an aisle and a window seat. We also were able to book our seats when we bought the flights and it was free which is another bonus. Ours cost a little more than yours, but for August I was happy. Also, we have that same return time on our homeward journey which will make we get a fab last day and not just the morning.

I'm so pleased for you! I'll let you know how we get on when we get back, fingers crossed it all works out well.
Yes please do! I’d love some feedback on the whole Aer Lingus process plus Dublin Airport. And obviously a dining report .

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 18, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Yes please do! I’d love some feedback on the whole Aer Lingus process plus Dublin Airport. And obviously a dining report .
Haha, no problem re the process at Dublin...dining report is essential! My kids and DH are resigned to the food photos being taken now

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Really considering upgrading to AKL. I’ve been thinking about the construction at CBR and I think it bothers me more than I originally thought. There’s so much of it! It’s an additional £400 for AKL but I’ve been doing a lot of overtime the last couple of months so that would pay for it.
Decisions, decisions!

Trip Report Index
Old 1 Apr 18, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
So I just did it . It wasn’t as much as I thought at £350 more (I had forgotten the discount for adding tickets I think). I’m also thinking if our quidco cash back tracks and pays (it hasn’t tracked yet for some reason) that and any from our 2019 booking could go towards it. Add that to additional £50 a month saving and it’s basically paid for. My justification is:

We may not get next year for various reasons so this could be it for a while.

The construction was worrying me and with us only going for a week I want it as relaxing as possible.

We haven’t been to AKL for ages and the room discount made it more affordable.

You only live once.

I wanted to.

Hopefully we’ll get at least a partial Savannah view room as last time we had a view of the car park. Even if we don’t though I love the resort, especially the pool area which is so relaxing.

Trip Report Index
Old 1 Apr 18, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
I wanted to is the best and most important reason, and as long as you can afford it why not? We all work hard to pay for these trips and it's good to have it to look forward to. I hope you have a brilliant time at AKL at least it will put your mind at ease for the next few months.

Old 1 Apr 18, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I wanted to is the best and most important reason, and as long as you can afford it why not? We all work hard to pay for these trips and it's good to have it to look forward to. I hope you have a brilliant time at AKL at least it will put your mind at ease for the next few months.
I know you’re right. Because we want to is the reason we book these holidays in the first place!

Trip Report Index
Old 2 Apr 18, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
So I've been fiddling with the plan again! I suspect staying at AKL will change things. We're more likely to pop in to AK for dinner or if we're really lucky a bonus FoP FP! I also decided to cancel a couple of our ADRs. We agreed this trip we'd do food differently and do more QS. So new plan:

Pre-travel day - staying at the Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport the night before the flight since it's an early flight.

Travel day - Our flight from Glasgow is 8.20am but the flight from Dublin doesn't leave until 3.30pm so I'm thinking we might book into the 51st & Green lounge after pre-clearance. We don't normally do lounges unless we have a long layover. With a late departure we obviously have a late arrival so I doubt we'll feel like much more than grabbing some chicken nuggets from The Mara.

Day 1 - unchanged with EMH at DHS. No plans for the rest of the day but we'll be so close to AK who knows!

Day 2 - again unchanged with EMH at AK. I'm still considering a late breakfast at RFC using our Landry reward. I cancelled dinner at LTT and we'll play it by ear.

Day 3 - MK (no EMH). I had booked Be Our Guest breakfast for pre park opening however I was revisiting the Disney Food Blog review of The Wave and we reckoned $24 for BoG vs $21.99 for the buffet at The Wave was a no brainer. The menu looks so good! I've booked 8.15am but may try for earlier. I've booked Chef Art Smiths Homecomin' for dinner. We did this on DDP last year and enjoyed it. Having looked at the menu I think we could choose something more affordable than what we had on DDP but I really need the Hummingbird Cake! I think I can make it last 3 days!

Day 4 - again unchanged with another DHS day. I did have Tony's in MK booked for dinner but cancelled it. Not sure why I booked it to be honest!

Day 5 - Epcot EMH as planned with an evening in AK. This may change with our proximity to AK as we may have already done an evening or two.

Day 6 - unchanged with morning EMH at MK and an evening at DHS.

Day 7 - again unchanged with morning EMH at AK. Our flight home is 9.10pm so we have all day! We'll decide nearer the time about another park or DS but there's also the temptation to have some pool time before we leave.

I'm so excited about staying at AKL! We loved it last time and kept saying we'd like to go back some day. I think it will affect our plans slightly with us more likely to eat at the resort, spend time at the pool and pop to AK for an evening.

Trip Report Index