Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 2 Sep 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Sam_Smith
slightly serious Dibber

10.06.2019 - Let's go to San Francisco

Travelling this time was DH (54) - driver/eater/moaner/petrol head/biker

Me (51) - navigator/planner/booker/spreadsheet creator/feeder

It was time to say farewell to our wonderful hosts today. We had such an amazing alcohol fuelled couple of days, it was time to detox

Hugs all round and on the road by 10am and it was 104 degrees in the car with 113 miles ahead of us.

Traffic was pretty quiet and we made good time into San Fran over the Bay Bridge.

Even when we slowed here traffic was still moving

We were told by everyone we had spoken to before this holiday that San Francisco was cold - even in the summer. Going over the Bay Bridge the temperature in the car was still showing nearly 100 degrees!

We drove all the way along the Embarcadero with no traffic issues

and arrived at our motel for the next 3 nights earlier than expected.

The Town House on Lombard Street - £391

It was too early to check in so we let them know we had arrived and asked if it was OK to leave the car there.

No problem with that

We decided to walk back towards Fisherman's Wharf to check the place out.

It was soooo hot!

A short walk from our Motel was the Aquatic Park where there was a beach! I never knew San Francisco had a beach!

We carried on walking in the sunshine and found the Cannery

The heat was starting to get to us now and we were staying on the shaded side of the street, so we didn't actually have a look in here at all.

At pier 45 we found the old time arcade museum, but it was stifling hot in there and we could not stand it for too long. At least there was some breeze outside.

Pier 45 also has the USS Pampanito, which DH was fascinated with, but there was no way I was going in there!

Further on up we decided to eat on Pier 39. I love Bubba Gumps in Orlando, so we decided on there.

NEVER AGAIN is all I can say.

The service was terrible. The place was half empty and there seemed to be load of staff standing around, but we still queued for 20 minutes before being seated. I should have walked out then, but we decided to stay.

Eventually we were seated and waited another 25 minutes to get drinks!

We ordered and DH's fish and chips came pretty quickly but I was kept waiting.

I told DH to carry on but he insisted on waiting

Another 10 minutes went by with us both attempting to attract somebody's attention, and eventually DH relented and started to eat.

At this point the couple who were behind us in the queue were paying the bill and I was still waiting!

My meal then materialised with an excuse for the delay. They were waiting for the lettuce to be cut!

It was actually a pretty decent salad tbh, but DH was fuming by now!

We left no tip and a vow never to return. We were going to complain, but there was nobody available to do that to.

We left Pier 39 and walked back out onto the Embarcadero.

we decided to go on a sunset cruise on the Blue and Gold fleet, which was leaving in 5 minutes. It was $68 for the both of us, but so worth it.

Going under the bridge was wonderful

and there was great view of Alcatraz

It was extremely windy but this was a welcome relief from the heat

We had a good view of the sea lions at Pier 39 too

We decided to take a long slow walk back to the Motel, and took in some breath taking views on the way

as well as some famous sights

Ooooh did someone say ice cream? Well it would be rude not to

A final view of the Golden Gate Bridge before the sun went down

Spectacular.

We got back to the Motel and checked in. Upon opening the door, the heat hit us.

It was like an oven in the room, and this was then I realised there was no air con!

Apparently Motels in San Francisco don't have air con because it's so cold there!

OMG. At 2am I was sat on a chair in the open doorway of our room just trying to gasp some cool air. It was horrendous!

There was a fan which just circulated the hot air around, but it was just like sitting in a sauna with a hot hairdryer blowing in your face.

We later learned that our 3 days in San Francisco were the hottest 3 June days on record

Edited at 05:05 PM.
Sam_Smith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

WOW thanks for sharing. Great report and since we go this weekend it's really got me all excited
Old 10 Sep 19, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Mortimer Mouse
Imagineer

Mortimer Mouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Oh no. What a nightmare having no air con.
Mortimer Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List