Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Sep 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Universal options

Just pricing up possible return to Florida as found some decent flights (although said we would give it a miss, but said that last year as well and still went ).

I have checked the different hotel options via the below, but having never been, not sure if the benefits are worth it as there is a large difference in cost say for Royal Pacific v Cabana Bay (for example)

universalorlando/web...mpare-features

A few questions:
* Is it best to go for one of the Premier hotels to maximise the benefits?
* How many days do you think would be needed to get through the majority?
* What's the best option for tickets? (we won't be doing Disney, may think about bundle with SeaWorld/DC etc. or after doing Universal, head off to the beach instead as we did SeaWorld/DC this year).
* Any tips for Universal in general?

This would be for a summer trip (school holidays), kids will be 13 and 11.

Thanks
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post

The benefits of the express pass that comes with the more expensive hotels, is well worth it in my opinion. In fact I wouldn't even contemplate going without it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
The benefits of the express pass that comes with the more expensive hotels, is well worth it in my opinion. In fact I wouldn't even contemplate going without it.
I assume that would improve the number of days needed to experience everything? or would you still go for a set number of days even with express pass? I was wondering around 4 days maybe?
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
I assume that would improve the number of days needed to experience everything? or would you still go for a set number of days even with express pass? I was wondering around 4 days maybe?
We just don't like queuing, so it doesn't really change how long we go for, but in theory yes you would certainly get around more with an express pass.

If (when) we go again, we would probably just do two or three days, but that is only because we have done it quite thoroughly already.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
ingvar
Getting Excited

Mobile

We always book one night at one of the premier hotels, just for the benefits. We've always managed both parks in two days with this system (early entry and front of line passes). Worth noting though that very occassionally front of line queues can be just as long as the ordinary queue. We would be reluctant to do universal now without staying at a premier hotel
Old 30 Sep 19, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Is this also a case where you receive the benefit for 2 days if you only book 1 night stay? (thought I'd read this somewhere); if so, how does this work? do you need to have checked in first?
Old 30 Sep 19, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
ingvar
Getting Excited

Mobile

Yes, exactly that. You can check in early. We normally arrive around 7am and check in. Our rooms have never been ready (some are lucky!) They keep our luggage and text when your room is ready. They give you a temporary pass for FoL as your actual room key are normally your FoL pass. We then grab a quick bite to eat then head over to which ever park has early entry
Old 30 Sep 19, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by ingvar View Post
Yes, exactly that. You can check in early. We normally arrive around 7am and check in. Our rooms have never been ready (some are lucky!) They keep our luggage and text when your room is ready. They give you a temporary pass for FoL as your actual room key are normally your FoL pass. We then grab a quick bite to eat then head over to which ever park has early entry
Ah, so it would be a better idea to not stay there on arrival (as we would typically arrive later afternoon/early evening? then maximise 2 (or more) full days that way? or visit later in the trip (same logic)?otherwise wasting almost a full days perks?
Old 30 Sep 19, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Smithy78
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We're doing a universal/seaworld only trip next month and have one night idrive for arrival day then 5 nights at Royal Pacific. We toyed with cabana bay but after doing 3 nights at hrh in 2016 I don't think I could go without express passes.
I'm planning on a relaxed pace with lots of pool time (remember you can pool hop at universal) we'll also do the outlets at idrive while we are in the area.
We're finishing up with 11 nights in a villa.
I'm liking forward to multiple rides on gringotts, the mummy and Hulk and fingers crossed hagrids!
Smithy78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

If you intend to do univiersal at the start of your stay, find a cheap hotel for the night of you arrival as you will just want to sleep and then book into universal premium hotel for 1 or 2 nigths to get front of line benfits. you can check in early eg 7am.
If you intend to do more days then you may decide that you don't mind some of the queues and end of august q's where not too bad. if so then thinik about cabana bay with its walking access to volcano bay.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List