Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Jul 10, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post

Thumbs up Contact Lenses and Theme Parks!

Hi guys,

I've started wearing contact lenses, largely because I wanted to have them for my holiday, instead of having to wear my glasses - it's total vanity lol, I can handle wearing glasse occasionally but any more than that and they annoy me! But I do need to wear them to see properly now, so I took the plunge and got some monthly lenses from Specsavers...

Are there any contact lens wearing Dibbers out there? I'm just wanting to know if there are any potential problems...will they be ok on the roller coasters etc? I know I can't swim in them, but will they be ok on water rides like Splash and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges?

If anyone has any advice or experiences I'd really like to hear from you!

xx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 10, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post

Hey,
They'll be fine on roller coasters & water rides, you'd only have a problem if a huge wave of water hit you right in the face lol
I wear mine in the water parks too, I just put sunglasses on to avoid splashes but I've never been on the rides at the water parks in them, I probably wouldn't try that one.
Last time I went to Florida, last May, I had a lot of trouble with my contacts, I just couldn't get them to go in, don't know if I'd accidently got sun cream on them. Someone told me the heat can cause problems with them?! This time I'm getting rid of my monthly ones & taking daily disposables (3 months worth lol)
I know how you feel, I hate wearing my glasses & last time I was stuck wearing them
Old 26 Jul 10, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
tiggerfan144
Imagineer

tiggerfan144's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My daughter wears the monthly ones while on holiday in florida and doesnt have any problems with them. I think sometimes she does get a bit of irritation from them but i think thats because she has them in a lot more over there she uses a misture of lenses and glasses over here. She bought some prescription goggles for the water parks and they were great only about £36 i think from the internet.

Howard Johnson Maingate west (1995), Villa (1997), Gateway Inn (1999), Sheraton World (2000), Rodeway Inn (2002), Springhill Suites (2004), Caribbean Beach/Crowne Plaza (2006) AKL/HRH/Rodeway inn (2009)

And Becky makes four
tiggerfan144 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 10, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Carlmelia
Imagineer

Carlmelia's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We've both worn contact lenses in the parks. You'll have no problems at all, tbh we've swam in them loads as well (even though officially your not supposed too in contacts).

It's confidence, once you've been on a coaster with them in for the first time you'll wonder what you were concerned about and forget they're in.
Carlmelia is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 10, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Glad to hear some positive experiences...

I have heard that the heat/rides can lead to dry eyes, and some other sites have mentioned taking eye drops...does anyone use any drops with their contact lenses?
Old 26 Jul 10, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
jimmymac
Excited about Disney

I only wear my lenses whilst in Florida, I only need them for distance, this allows me to waer sunglassess whilst driving.
I also wear them in the swimming pool, I have not had any side effects of it, obviously not swimming under water.
The rides have no effect on them either.
jimmymac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 10, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post

My hubby has alway been fine. I must admit he got his eyes lasered and he said he wished he had done it sooner. No fiddling with lenses or glasses
Old 26 Jul 10, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
mikerodda
Trying for More Ears

If you're new to contact lenses then I would take some drops with you. It's better to be safe than sorry. I can imagine that your eyes might get quite tired and sore especially given the heat.

I remember when I first started wearing contacts my eyes started to suffer in the afternoon. After a few months everything settled down and I can wear them all day now without a problem. I'll still take some drops with me to Florida though just in case I get some grit in my eye, so that I don't have to switch to glasses for the rest of the day.

Mike.
mikerodda is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 10, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post

The only problem I had was on an airboat ride - all sorts of bits of vegetion/grit/etc fly into your face and when I got off my lens was irritating my eye - I took it out and there was a hole in the middle of the lens! So if you are going on an airboat ride, I would recommend either wearing your specs for the ride or putting sunglasses on with your lenses.
Old 26 Jul 10, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

I wear monthly's.

Only problem I ever get, is if I wear them for too long - can get a bit irritating, and I resort back to glasses, which after wearing lenses now give me a headache (I guess coz the gap between ayes and glasses is differant to eys and lense - so strains the eye?). This is a pain on long days / travleignon hols.

Another problem is if you lose a lense or damage one. This used to bug me - and I;d try to wear the remaining lenses for a bit longer to compensate - a few extra days each - to save me buying a new lense - not good!

But... I have a solution to all this!

Last year, to save me taking all the solutions and stuff on holiday, I tried some daily lenses online from daysoftcontactlenses

They cost me £5 for a months worth. You just enter your lense details from your current monthly box. I did it a few monhts before my hols to test them out. they were fine! I took the 3 weeks worth with me, and it took the worry away when swimmign and stuff...if you lose them just wack another pair in! Well worht it for £5. Always carried a spare pair on me.

I still use my monthly lenses for everyday use at home - mainly coz the eye care at the opticians is included, and thats invaluable. But these are great for hols. Try them out first though just in case you get any probs.
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread