Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Jul 10, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
SugarRush
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I have monthlies and dailies and tend to wear dailies on hols! Never have a problem. To the poster that warned about 'cheaper' lenses I have the ones frm the link previously put up and they are from the creator of focus dailies he just doesn't rip people off like all opticians do!As for laser surgery... never I want my sight forever, how many opticians do u know that have had it done? And that advice came from an optician
Old 26 Jul 10, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Anything an optician tells you, ask to see it in writing and/or verify it with a real doctor.
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 10, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post

I'm not trying to scare people, the blindness is a worse case scenario but believe me, i see people all the time who have nasty infections due to them not using the lenses properly. Got an infection myself after rinsing a case out with tap water a few years ago. By the end of the day my eye was swollen shut for a week and i couldn't wear lenses for months afterwards. You just have to realise that your eyes are very delicate and you shouldn't risk it. I'm also not trying to pressure people into going for expensive lenses, but it is a fact that the better lenses are more comfortable. You can buy a couple of pairs of 2 weekly lenses which are the best on the market for £20 and have no discomfort at all, thats ok for a one off on holiday. Also most opticians arn't trying to fleece people, they just know what they are talking about. If theres a cheap option that is going to be better they will recomend it, they're not sales people! We have to recommend the best option and warn people of the risks because they do exsist!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 10, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshuatree
Proud to wear my Ears

I wear contacts and used eye drops when we were away the advice I was given in specsavers was to get some daily disposables for use in the water parks which I did and they were great
Old 26 Jul 10, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
SugarRush
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Originally Posted by spiya View Post
I'm not trying to scare people, the blindness is a worse case scenario but believe me, i see people all the time who have nasty infections due to them not using the lenses properly. Got an infection myself after rinsing a case out with tap water a few years ago. By the end of the day my eye was swollen shut for a week and i couldn't wear lenses for months afterwards. You just have to realise that your eyes are very delicate and you shouldn't risk it. I'm also not trying to pressure people into going for expensive lenses, but it is a fact that the better lenses are more comfortable. You can buy a couple of pairs of 2 weekly lenses which are the best on the market for £20 and have no discomfort at all, thats ok for a one off on holiday. Also most opticians arn't trying to fleece people, they just know what they are talking about. If theres a cheap option that is going to be better they will recomend it, they're not sales people! We have to recommend the best option and warn people of the risks because they do exsist!
I know of an opticians that recommends the previously said 'cheap' lenses after i did LOTS of research can't be that bad

Plus i had two different opticians tell me two different things and a third sorted it once and for all at our SS branch
Old 26 Jul 10, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkabella
Apprentice Imagineer

I wear contacts all the time dont have any glasses at all and im classed as clinicly blind as my eye sight is a bit more than -10 what ever that means but any way cannot see anything near or far without contacts or glasses. The contacts i use are monthly ones but i also sleep in them and have a shower. The last two times i have gone to florida with only my contacts in and one spair pair. I do take eye drops with me deffo for the plane as they can get dry and also a bottle of cleaning solution just incase, that i keep in the villa. I have been on most rides in all the parks including the water parks, only havent been on some because im chicken I pay £25 a month for one set of contacts but dont have to change them every month, I pick them up every three months and have always have at least 2 or 3 sets extra. If you want anymore info just ask. Sorry but no i dont wear them because im vain its because my eyes change every year and to keep getting glasses and paying for them to be thined so they dont dig in my nose would be a lot more money hope this helps
Old 26 Jul 10, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post

I've been wearing acuvue daily disposables conact lenses for years now and the only time they bother me is in the car because of the air con (that i need blowing in my face to keep me cool),it dries them out and is uncomforable.
I've always used them when swimming but i never open my eyes underwater, i didn't know you weren' t supposed to!
I have got perscription sunnies though so i could just wear them around the pool.
Enjoy your holiday with your new lenses,i couldn't live withou mine.
Old 26 Jul 10, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkabella
Apprentice Imagineer

With regards to eye drops I get the ones that are indivdual little packets so i dont have to take a bottle around with me and once you open a bottle of eye drops they sometimes only last 28 days were these are sold on boots or most chemist and they have ay least a year on them, i think you get abour 30 to a box.

Oh yeh and I swim in mine and can go underwater as long as i have a good pair of goggles on

Edited at 10:14 PM. Reason: swimmin oops
tinkabella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 10, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Wouldn't listen to anyone from a certain big chain company! if you knew how they operate you would stay away! Very bad reputation in the industry (sell lots cheap & dont give a damn about your health) the optoms actually compete to see who can do the quickest tests! I know i sound negative but optitians train for many years and continue being trained and audited all the time. Your gp will refer you back to them because they are eye doctors! Trust them, they're not conmen. Im really not trying to start an arguement, its just frustrating when you do know what your talking about and everybody assumes your trying to con them! I really don't care about sales, i dont get commission. Please dont hate me lol!
Old 26 Jul 10, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Oh and i agree about laser surgery, lasts about 5-6 years before people come back needing glasses! Nobody i know working in optics has had it and we get heavy discounts!
Closed Thread