Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 10 May 18, 02:07 AM  
Link to this Post
cbro126
New Poster (3)

Mobile Not renting a car

Me and my partner are going to Disney next month and staying at Rosen inn international. We are not renting a car because we are not old enough in the states and we are wondering how easy it is to get to the parks via public transport without spending 100’s? Any help is greatly appreciated!
cbro126 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 18, 02:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Cantcook
Imagineer

Mobile

Hello and welcome to The Dibb!

You can still rent a car if you’re under 25 but you pay a young persons supplement. Parking isn’t cheap at the theme parks and when you combine that with the rental price and young supplement, you’ll arguably save money just by using Uber.

Live quotes right now from Rosen Inn Intl:

Universal: $7
Magic: $18
Epcot: $13
Disney Springs: $12

All prices are one way and no surging. If it does surge, just wait 5-10 minutes or suck it up. Tips are optional.

I know people do use public transport but I really don’t believe it’s worth the hassle.
Cantcook is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 18, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Bornabairn
Helping Donald

Mobile

We did 2 weeks at Rosen in 2016 and never hired a car. You can buy a weeks unlimited bus pass for $20 for getting to Disney (have to change at Seaworld, but it’s dead easy and buses are regular. Though it takes about an hour). The hotel does free shuttles to and from universal, and there’s plenty good eating places within walking distance. (Highly recommend Bahama Breeze)
Bornabairn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 18, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post

Let's say you go to Disney or universal 5 times in 7 days. That's about $120 in non surge uber fares.

A lynx ticket for the two of you would be $40. So saving $80

However the uber will take 20 minutes and the bus over an hour.

I think given the price of the holiday and the loss of time on the bus I'd pay the $10-$12 extra a day and use uber and get 1.5 hours of extra holiday each day not sat on a bus

That said you'll have fun whichever way you choose
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 18, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

You should weigh up the hiring of the smallest sized car vs how much you'd pay for alternative transport and the time lost by getting the bus.

Also something to factor in is the weather, if it rains you'll have to stand around soaked waiting for a bus and on uber there's more likely to be longer surge rates if its raining as people will leave the parks earlier and there'll be more demand for cars.
Old 10 May 18, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Try Andy at Discount Florida Car Hire (see yellow post at top of this section). He should be able to see if you can get a cheaper car hire. I believe Sixt are quite reasonable for the under 25’s although the additional cost I believe is not down to the hiring companies but a young driver tax. You have to be over 21 to hire a car in Florida (probably the whole of the US) so if you’re under that it’s not going to be possible.

If you factor in that parking charges at Disney and Universal are $22/day - using Uber doesn’t seem that bad as it won’t cost much more than that daily, plus you’ll save on the car rental cost too. Plus you can have a beer (if you’re over 21 that is).

Edited at 02:53 PM.
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List