Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Jan 18, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

VH flydrive, reducing car days cost reduction

Hi all,

So I was looking on VH at the fly-drives, I was on live chat as I had some questions and the girl mentioned that if I didn't want the car, I could phone and they would let me know the reduced rate for the flight and car for just 1 night. Does anyone know if this gives a decent price reduction? We are going for 3 weeks.

Ideally we will just pay flights off on booking but this is a handy option if the prices drop before I'm ready to do that.

Thanks
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
It does drop the price but can you not go the DIY route.

In the last 10 years so thats 30 trips for me I have never seen a VH Flydrive that is cheaper than flights with VA and a car from Alamo via DIY.

However BA have some awesome deals on Flydrives.

Finally bear in mind the VH car is uninsured.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by toots82 View Post
Hi all,

So I was looking on VH at the fly-drives, I was on live chat as I had some questions and the girl mentioned that if I didn't want the car, I could phone and they would let me know the reduced rate for the flight and car for just 1 night. Does anyone know if this gives a decent price reduction? We are going for 3 weeks.
we often do this and it often brings the price to around VA, sometimes perhaps 100 or so more, but without having to pay at booking.

The reduced rate never feels like it's quite as much as theyve charged to have the car in the first place :/ but it does save. Also FWIW, since even with 1 night car hire, it's still a package so is ATOL protected.
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
It does drop the price but can you not go the DIY route.

In the last 10 years so thats 30 trips for me I have never seen a VH Flydrive that is cheaper than flights with VA and a car from Alamo via DIY.

However BA have some awesome deals on Flydrives.

Finally bear in mind the VH car is uninsured.
Hiya,

I'm hoping to do DIY with VA or Netflights etc. but just wondered in case the prices suddenly drop before I've got the money in the bank to pay upfront for the flights. I wouldn't actually want the Virgin car, we try and stick to Alamo. I'm also not allowed a CC (by DH) because...well honestly I can't be trusted We'd be upper class and 3 weeks in a SSR 3-bed grand villa if I got my paws on one.

Not overly keen on BA purely down to the London change (we are Edin or Gla) would rather change in America so will probably go United if we do indirect.

I had Tui flights all booked and paid £1000 but our dates have changed and there's no availability for us coming home on Tui flights so can't even alter those.
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KeithOP View Post
we often do this and it often brings the price to around VA, sometimes perhaps 100 or so more, but without having to pay at booking.

The reduced rate never feels like it's quite as much as theyve charged to have the car in the first place :/ but it does save. Also FWIW, since even with 1 night car hire, it's still a package so is ATOL protected.
Brilliant thank you, that's great to know. Just another option eh
Old 1 Jan 18, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by toots82 View Post
Hiya,

I'm hoping to do DIY with VA or Netflights etc. but just wondered in case the prices suddenly drop before I've got the money in the bank to pay upfront for the flights. I wouldn't actually want the Virgin car, we try and stick to Alamo. I'm also not allowed a CC (by DH) because...well honestly I can't be trusted We'd be upper class and 3 weeks in a SSR 3-bed grand villa if I got my paws on one.

Not overly keen on BA purely down to the London change (we are Edin or Gla) would rather change in America so will probably go United if we do indirect.

I had Tui flights all booked and paid £1000 but our dates have changed and there's no availability for us coming home on Tui flights so can't even alter those.
Have you looked at BA/AA from Dublin? You also get US Customs at Dublin
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
Have you looked at BA/AA from Dublin? You also get US Customs at Dublin
No tbh I hadn't. I've seen some good Aer Lingus deals though from Edin via Dublin.

I'm just a bit worried about the return journey, my DD doesn't deal with the night flights amazingly well (generally she throws up in the car home from the airport) and the thought of getting them off the long night flight to have to sit around for a couple of hours before the final leg with her feeling terrible and my DS shattered and crabby doesn't fill me with joy.

I'm more than likely looking way on the negative side (thousands do it so can't be that bad surely) and it'd end up being ok but I think for our first indirect I'd rather go for the United, change in Newark then do the long leg home and land a 20 min drive from home.

But then the BA prices are brilliant...
Old 1 Jan 18, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
nanu
Imagineer

You can book a BA fly/drive and not set foot on a BA plane. I've booked one and am flying AA both ways. The transfer airport is Philadelphia so is great on the way back as the change over is not after a longhaul overnight flight. Last year we also did a BA fly/drive and flew Aer Lingus outbound and AA inbound.
1988 New York Penta & Orl. Radisson Maingate 1990 Orl. Marriott I-Drive, Premier Cruise & Cocoa Beach Hilton 1997 Orl. La Suites I-Drive 2002 Orl. Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Las Vegas Luxor 2007 Orl. Port Orleans French Quarter 2010 Orl. Windsor Palms villa 2012 Orl. Rolling Hills villa & RPR Universal 2015 Orl. Indian Creek villa & Naples Bay Resort 2017 Orl. Highlands Reserve villa 2018 Barefoot Beach Resort & Orl. Highgate Park villa
nanu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by nanu View Post
You can book a BA fly/drive and not set foot on a BA plane. I've booked one and am flying AA both ways. The transfer airport is Philadelphia so is great on the way back as the change over is not after a longhaul overnight flight. Last year we also did a BA fly/drive and flew Aer Lingus outbound and AA inbound.
oh really? Thats worth looking into for sure. How was the AA flight coming home?