Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 9 May 18, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
MackemMagic
I want to go now!

Car Hire vs UBER

Hi,

We are travelling across to Orlando in October and are staying up at Championsgate in Kissimmee.

We are a party of 4, and we have priced up the cost of hiring a car for the 10 days whilst we are there. The initial hire, coupled with the estimated parking costs at all the parks + gas, well….let’s just say, we got a bit of a shock haha!

As a direct comparison, we did some costing up of using UBER from our villa complex over to the parks we wish to visit and it did work out slightly cheaper. Obviously this will fluctuate based on how busy it is on the actual day/availability etc.

Has anyone had experience of using UBER for visits to all the parks throughout their stay as opposed to hiring a car, or using pre-organised shuttle transfers? How straightforward is it for the UBER drivers to get to your villa? Do they tend to drop at the gates of the parks/transportation centres?

We were also thinking of using UBER to get from MCO to our villa complex- im guessing this is relatively straightforward?

Looking forward to hearing your experiences, thanks folks!
MackemMagic is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 18, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
3family
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

As a confirmed fan or uber/Lyft I don’t think it’s doable for Villas

I think it’s fine not to have a car for hotel stays (Disney, Universal, I drive) but some Villas are so far from everything that you could be using 4 a day (park, home, restaurant, home). Those costs will add up quickly enough
Old 9 May 18, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
grumpybri
VIP Dibber

Last year the two of us did without a car and just used Uber. Saved £100 over hire, waited no longer for an Uber compared to getting to car in vast parking lots and could enjoy a little drink while out and about.
We were based on I Drive and went to Universal, Disney, shopping, etc.
Doing the same again this year with out a second thought.
Old 10 May 18, 03:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Cantcook
Imagineer

Mobile

You’ll be absolutely fine getting Uber in the Championsgate area. We always Uber to the parks so we can drink or at least go out after without worrying about the car.

We always rent a car as well though. It’s sort of essential for getting to Publix etc.

If you all wanted to drink on the flight, you can always Uber from the airport and pick up a rental car from the big hotel (sorry, I forget it’s name. But it’s the huge one) in Championsgate.
Cantcook is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 18, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
stevo25
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Cantcook View Post
If you all wanted to drink on the flight, you can always Uber from the airport and pick up a rental car from the big hotel (sorry, I forget it’s name. But it’s the huge one) in Championsgate.
Omni Orlando Resort, Hertz are there I think
stevo25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 18, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
toddy22
Getting Excited

Have you thought about doing a split 50/50 car hire uber. Use car hire for 1 week visit furthest away then Uber for the other week ?
toddy22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 18, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Unless you are planning on making one trip a day to a park and eating there before going straight back to your villa I think you will miss having a car.

You will effectively be stuck on a housing estate when staying in a villa. It is nothing like being in a hotel somewhere like I Drive where you can walk to restaurants. Parking at the parks is expensive but the petrol will cost you very little. It only costs me $24 to fill my car. Being able to easily eat at off site restaurants will save you a fortune as well.