Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 2 Nov 19, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Sunflower lanyard and security

I wasn’t really considering a sunflower lanyard for my hidden disability but I’ve heard some stories about extra security checks and what happens during them, that have me thinking.
So I’ve read stories about people having to take off their shoes no matter what. I always wear trainers following a naive first trip where I wore my favourite high heeled boots 😳
Anyway, I’ve been asked to remove my trainers once for additional checks, wasn’t a problem as I could slip them back on quickly, but I still had a security member yell at me to keep moving.
My concern is this, I can no longer bend to put shoes/trainers on normally. I use a long shoe horn to assist or need to sit down. Out and about my OH will help me.
Do you think a sunflower lanyard would help me if I end up in this situation, I don’t think I’d cope being shouted at to move quickly when I physically can’t.
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Yes I do, the sunflower lanyard shows that you have a disability and if its not a visible one then they will be aware you have a hidden one and should be more accommodating.

No guarantee still that they won't shout but from my experience with my DD it worked wonders. There was no hurrying, they explained everything well and then just waited for my DD to go through security etc.
August 2018 - Villa at Oak Island Community
December 2021 - Art of Animation Cars Suite
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

The lanyard does not stop you being asked to remove your shoes or other checks.DD had hers on and she was still pulled for extra check, they are more sensitive when they do this but will still carry on checks regardless, which isnt a problem as it helps to ensure everyones safety. They will make accommodations for you ie if you need a chair to sit on etc.
Old 5 Nov 19, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

My daughter uses a sunflower lanyard, still gets asked to remove her trainers, the difference being the staff hopefully will be more understanding of the person wearing it and not bother you to rush, get you a chair etc etc 👍
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
The lanyard does not stop you being asked to remove your shoes or other checks.DD had hers on and she was still pulled for extra check, they are more sensitive when they do this but will still carry on checks regardless, which isnt a problem as it helps to ensure everyones safety. They will make accommodations for you ie if you need a chair to sit on etc.
I'm not bothered about the removal of trainers, I will go through security like everyone else. My issue is getting them back on afterwards, that if I don't have a chair or my OH to help get them back on I don't want the humiliation of being shouted at by the security to keep moving when I physically can't go quicker. So wondered if the lanyard would indicate that I may need that assistance.
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
My daughter uses a sunflower lanyard, still gets asked to remove her trainers, the difference being the staff hopefully will be more understanding of the person wearing it and not bother you to rush, get you a chair etc etc 👍
This is what I'm hoping, last time I was asked to remove my shoes I was 'fit and able' but had only just bent down to pick them up and move to the end where I could bend like a normal person to put them on, when the security shouted at me to move. Now I can't physically bend at all without a lot of pain and so extra patience would be nice (although no guarantee I know)
Old 6 Nov 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
lepres
Excited about Disney

Hi
I like you use a long handle shoe horn for any enclosed shoes and also like you can't bend down to put them on that way either. I've solved the problem for me by wearing a pair of Birkenstocks now, easy to slip-off and slip-on again after. If it's cold I've even been know to wear socks with them (shock horror lolol).
Just a thought, I've also got an expanding shoe horn that fits into my handbag - it's packed away in holiday suitcase - I think from memory I bought it in The Range.
lepres is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by lepres View Post
Hi
I like you use a long handle shoe horn for any enclosed shoes and also like you can't bend down to put them on that way either. I've solved the problem for me by wearing a pair of Birkenstocks now, easy to slip-off and slip-on again after. If it's cold I've even been know to wear socks with them (shock horror lolol).
Just a thought, I've also got an expanding shoe horn that fits into my handbag - it's packed away in holiday suitcase - I think from memory I bought it in The Range.
The expanding shoe horn sounds a great idea, I’ve never seen one before so will look into it. I’ve spoken to the other half about it and for once he had a good idea. He suggested wearing flip flops through security and have a change of shoe in my bag, to be fair I can’t believe I never thought of it and he did lol